Blue Iris Computer and CPU

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been running blue iris for about 18 months now and absolutely love it. I decided to add more cameras to my system but I quickly ran out of PC power. I upgraded in PC a while back so I have already been through all the usual memory creating tricks:

All of my cameras write direct to disk,
I set hardware encoding to "Yes (NoVPP)",
I lowered my pre-trigger buffer to about 3 seconds,
I also checked the box that says "use BVR Playback".
Under global settings I reduced the FPS to 10 for live preview rate
I also tried the Intel Hardware Acceleration settings, however since I am not using the intel video it did little to nothing.
I also lowered the fps on each camera from 25 to 15 (hated to do it, loved more fps)

Here is my setup.
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight Core 3.5 GHZ
16GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Video Card

Currently
11- Hosafe 2mp cameras (for the price they work really well for my needs)
1 - Sunba 2mp ptz 20x zoom camera (again for the price I am extremely happy with this)

I would like to add 10-12 more of the Hosafe cameras.

Currently I am running between 70-80% when minimized and 80-90% when looking at live view on PC. Can you recommend a PC (preferably one that is already made up) that I can add the 10-12 more cameras and keep my cpu under 60% or so?

When I try to add one more camera, blue iris is almost always above 95%, two cameras...forget it (BI crash).

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, I already have the cameras up, I ran wiring and conduit all weekend and was very excited to see the end product, just to realize I can not run them on blue iris with my current configuration.

-Chad

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What kind of motherboard are you using? Does it come with the integrated Intel Graphics?
I want to say that your issue is due to you not disabling your 3rd party graphics card.
From what I understand is Blue Iris is designed to use Intel's graphics hardware to reduce computer build cost to use Blue Iris.

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
I looked yesterday, I did not see anywhere to hook up a monitor other than the graphics card. I would imagine the motherboard does not have integrated Intel Graphics, it is funny to think a graphics card would actually hurt performance, but I see why (kinda). Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should not be at 90 percent even with that processor.
1) make sure you are viewing locally not remote login software
2) double check and ensure that each camera is set to direct to disk..ive seen folks miss a few
3) set fps to 15
4)set live preview frame rates to 10
regardless put a killawatt meter on that system, you are likely wasting tons of power...a new system will pay for itself.
Those camera brands are junk...youll find out soon enough..

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman,

1. When I am viewing, it is right from the computer monitor, through the blue iris software. I would assume this is locally. I do view through my Iphone a lot, but that is it.
2. I try to read many threads on here before bothering you nice folks with a post, I have checked each camera to ensure it is direct to disk. They are, and it does help.
3. I have not sent all the cameras to 15, I think I left about 4 at 25fps, do you think that will help? Also won't I lose some replay capacity?
4. I set the live preview rate to 10, that also helped by about 10%

I agree, the camera brands are not the best, I wouldn't think this would affect the cpu usage though, the longevity of the camera yes, but CPU usage, I wouldn't think so. I am using those until I can upgrade camera by camera in the future.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. I am currently trying to look for a thread with someone that uses as many cameras as myself so I can see what type of system they are using. I would like about 24 cameras total. I am leaning toward a 6th gen I-7 6700T with 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM. The machine I am looking at also has Intel® HD Graphics 530 which is better for Blue Iris than NVIDIA from what I understand.

Would this machine work better for my application? If not what would you recommend for my application (please link a thread if it has already been discussed, I have been searching for it).

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman,

1. When I am viewing, it is right from the computer monitor, through the blue iris software. I would assume this is locally. I do view through my Iphone a lot, but that is it.
2. I try to read many threads on here before bothering you nice folks with a post, I have checked each camera to ensure it is direct to disk. They are, and it does help.
3. I have not sent all the cameras to 15, I think I left about 4 at 25fps, do you think that will help? Also won't I lose some replay capacity?
4. I set the live preview rate to 10, that also helped by about 10%

I agree, the camera brands are not the best, I wouldn't think this would affect the cpu usage though, the longevity of the camera yes, but CPU usage, I wouldn't think so. I am using those until I can upgrade camera by camera in the future.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. I am currently trying to look for a thread with someone that uses as many cameras as myself so I can see what type of system they are using. I would like about 24 cameras total. I am leaning toward a 6th gen I-7 6700T with 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM. The machine I am looking at also has Intel® HD Graphics 530 which is better for Blue Iris than NVIDIA from what I understand.

Would this machine work better for my application? If not what would you recommend for my application (please link a thread if it has already been discussed, I have been searching for it).

Thanks.
DO NOT BUY A T version processor.,..there are many threads discussion good pc's..

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own a T processor. Works great for months and the power usage is low. Also build a system for someone else having a t processor that works great for 1.5 year now and low power usage. What is wrong then with these!?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I own a T processor. Works great for months and the power usage is low. Also build a system for someone else having a t processor that works great for 1.5 year now and low power usage. What is wrong then with these!?

because they are way underpowered compared to full processors and offer very little real world power savings...

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well as long as I see my cpu hoovering at 5-9 % with 18mp of cams and the usage is way way lower then my older computer I am very happy with the outcome.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm currently running 22 cameras (2 MP and higher) on an i7-3770K CPU at roughly 30% usage (service mode, no GUI open). Granted, I run a lot of these around 10 FPS, and none higher than 15 FPS. If the OP buys an i7-6700 box, that should handle his load just fine.

You should not enable hardware acceleration if you have an AMD CPU. At best, it will do nothing. At worst, it will make things slower. Intel's Quick Sync technology is used for hardware acceleration, and that simply isn't an option with AMD.

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your input, I went out and purchased a I7-7700 system, it had a NVidia graphics card installed in it from the factory. I went ahead and installed blue iris and put all 18 cameras I had hooked up to the network on it, WOW. It was hovering around 50% cpu. I then turned the system off, removed the Nvidia card and enabled hardware acceleration. OMG, it is now around 35% with the monitor display up!!!! Holy crap, I really didn't think it was possible. I have four more cameras to install, but I have no worries about installing them. I even raised the live preview to 15fps. Thanks again for your help, I really didn't want to spend the money when I had a gaming system to dedicate to BI, but for some reason the non gaming system works even better. Thanks again.

chads100

n3wb
Reaction score
I forgot to add, about half of the cameras are set to 25fps and half are set to 15fps, the cameras in the "critical" areas are set for higher fps.