Blue Iris Computer - Good deal?

Royal2000H

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for somewhere around/upto 6 Dahua 4 MP cameras - nothing crazy. Would run BI on the computer with AI software.
I also have a Synology DS920+ but after some reading, I've concluded that it makes more sense not to store any of the video recording on it and instead store it all on the BI computer. Imported clips can be exported to the Synology NAS.

I also thought about the BI computer multitasking and running Plex and/or Home Assistant but it sounds like everyone recommends the BI computer be solely for BI. (Currently have Plex on the Synology NAS and Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi - no glaring problems).

With that in mind, the computer I buy should likely have an SSD for the OS and BI software and HDD (or I can shuck and install one) for video recording.

Thoughts on this deal?

Dell Inspiron 3880 Desktop
Intel i5-10400
1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (I'd need to swap out the HDD for larger)
12GB RAM
Win10 Home (would likely find a cheap Pro license somewhere)
Certified refurbished by Dell. 2 year warranty.
$403

On the other hand, significantly cheaper, I saw what seems to be a great deal for:
Used Dell OptiPlex 3070: 9th Gen Core i5, 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. $200. But this is the micro form factor - I'm not sure I can add an HDD to that, and if I can't, that would defeat the purpose.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
look at the following link for what real computers do with BI

I would recommend going to 16GB of memory, and a WD Puple drive for video storage.

I run an old i7-4790 cpu, with 16GB of memory for 14 cameras at 700 mp/s. It is well configured and use less than 20% CPU. I use a small tower system so I can easily add more drives if needed. Also a tower allows for better cooling. Remember that the BI computer runs 24/7/365. Do not use a micro PC or a NUC as these machines sometimes have laptop CPUs, they are NOT designed for 24/7/365 operations cooling.

I recommend sticking with a used DELL or HP business commuter off of ebay.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The business computers are better built and have a lower failure rate. If a business computer fails to many times, the computer company looses a big $ customer. If a consumer computer fails who gives a shit. Most large companies cycle out there computers based upon a maintenance schedule, So all computers are gone after X years. If the computers worked well, the computer company get the next sale. Also most business system come with or can down load windows 10 pro.

A 6th generation I7 will work great for most BI systems. There is absolutely no need to get a newer 10th gen computer for BI. The base computer for BI should be less than $250 for a 16GB plus CPU. Add a 120 GB ssd and a wd purple drive and you are good to go.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can run 6 camera's with no problem on almost anything with that 10 generation core CPU, & windows 10 pro, an SSD, 16-32 GB of Ram and a Surveillance storage drive. The default OS on Business machines is the Pro version. Inspiron is licensed with W10 Home OS. The Hp Elitedesk and the Dell Optiplex have proven to be reliable used Pc's for a lot of the guys here. They feature a tool-less access, and nearly tool-less parts swaps. Tons of replacement parts on Ebay.
I have bought no less than 10 used Dell Optiplex in the last 5 years, 3 are in service at a Bar restaurant. 24/7 uptime. Havent had any calls for service since I put them in 3 years ago.
2 more are Mirrors ( as back up.) sitting under the Bar Mgr's desk. Plug and play if they drop a quart of Vodka in one of the others. :) I have 2 optiplex at work, the 7020 is running BI ( 3rd generation i-7 CPU) the 9020 is a Minitower for office work. has a nice toolless case.
After lurking here for awhile I saw the Elitedesk mentioned in a discussion. I learned that it could handle 2- 3.5 HDD's plus it has an onboard mSATA ssd drive, so that's 4 drives using 3 Sata ports on board. let me a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg find a couple pics. $325 on ebay. woulda paid $400 for this new of Tech...but You can get by with an 8 generation CPU that supports intel quick sync graphics with H265 hardware encode/decode support. 7 th gen and older did not support H265 Hardware encode. But the 7th gen guys are doing just fine. Edit>>> 6th generation and newer support quicksync h265 hardware support. 5 brains are better than 1.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This has everything you need. But it's priced too high. If I went hard into it, I could find something workable for a decent price. I think the Pro version of Windows is able to do some higher functioning network stuff, i forget what. I dont remember lunch.....

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking at these compared to a 16ch dahua...
Could that $400 handle say 12 4mp ip cameras?
I'm Enjoying the simplicity of a nvr but miss how easy BI made reviewing events and more.

Royal2000H

n3wb
Reaction score
You can get by with an 8 generation CPU that supports intel quick sync graphics with H265 hardware encode/decode support. 7 th gen and older did not support H265 Hardware encode. But the 7th gen guys are doing just fine.
I was under the impression H265 support was added in 6th gen?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The support for h.265 is part of quick sync in i7 and i5 in the 6th gen or higher.
I use only h.264 on the i7-4790. I have the bandwidth and the disk space. I
Inmy my recording test h.264 was 10% higher thanh.265

Bi supports h.265 on all processors, it uses quick sync on the 6th gen or higher.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at these compared to a 16ch dahua...
Could that $400 handle say 12 4mp ip cameras?
I'm Enjoying the simplicity of a nvr but miss how easy BI made reviewing events and more.
[/QUOTE
I'm running 13 camera's on a 3rd gen i7-3770s/32GB ram/ with 8TB of storage. 3 generations older of a system. So yeah it could handle it easily. Mine= 9 - 4MP and 4- 2MP. on a 3rd gen i7-3770s/32GB ram/ with 8TB of storage. I think i have about 15 days of reviewable footage.
I think Sebastiantombs is running 13-14 cams on a i7-6700 Optiplex