Blue Iris Computer Specs

bofabses

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm needing to upgrade our computer system that runs the Blue Iris server and cameras. Currently, we have 24 cameras and 7 cameras in two locations. The main location is where the upgrade will happen. I'd like to know what computer (second computer?) would be able to run 24-30 cameras smoothly. Some things I know I want are an integrated Intel CPU, an HDD for IP Cameras (6TB Skyhawk), an SSD to run software, and plenty of ram. We only record the alerts so don't need a ton of storage either.

Even if it's just a recommended CPU or a specific computer model that people like.

Thanks!
Spencer

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

If you are building from scratch, get an i7-7700K (not the newer i7-7740x model which has no integrated graphics which means no hardware acceleration in Blue Iris).

If you want to save money, find a used or refurbished i7-6700 system, and make sure it comes with the OS, then maybe upgrade the RAM if necessary to have 16 GB in a dual channel configuration.

8 GB RAM can work, but you cut it pretty close on a heavily loaded BI system.

6 TB of disk space is a great plenty for motion-triggered recordings. In fact 500 GB is often more than a month of retention.

A 128GB SSD is also plenty for the OS and Blue Iris's clip database, though you do not really need it to be an SSD.

Do not buy a separate graphics card -- use the onboard graphics.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Great Info.... can you supply and good dell links.. for a nice dell refurbished system that will work well.. Thanks

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea, I do it every so often but can never find those really great deals I hear about here...

MOD220

n3wb
Reaction score
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

If you are building from scratch, get an i7-7700K (not the newer i7-7740x model which has no integrated graphics which means no hardware acceleration in Blue Iris).

If you want to save money, find a used or refurbished i7-6700 system, and make sure it comes with the OS, then maybe upgrade the RAM if necessary to have 16 GB in a dual channel configuration.

8 GB RAM can work, but you cut it pretty close on a heavily loaded BI system.

6 TB of disk space is a great plenty for motion-triggered recordings. In fact 500 GB is often more than a month of retention.

A 128GB SSD is also plenty for the OS and Blue Iris's clip database, though you do not really need it to be an SSD.

Do not buy a separate graphics card -- use the onboard graphics.
would i5 6th generation work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Without knowing the frame rates and resolution of the cameras no one can tell you if it would work or not.