Blue Iris Continuous Recording Producing huge files

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread just so that anyone who stumbles on it might get help. I'm having the same issue. Going on the previous discussion, I checked my video settings on the camera. It's set to 1080p, 15 fps, with a bitrate of 3072 Kb/s, H.264H encode mode, CBR bit rate type.

For 24 hours of continuous recording on one camera, I'm clocking in around 75-80 gb. Is that what I should expect?

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, nice catch. I had set it for four of my cameras but missed the fifth one. I made that change and hopefully that will solve it. Thanks!

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Something I have noticed over the years is that my Blue Iris recordings are larger when there is a lot of movement.
Windy days with the tree branch shadows moving around have much larger files compared to normal days.

I am using direct 2 disc and the blue iris dvr format. ON one hand I thought it was its own file format.

I will have to double check my cameras to see if they are using VBR or not. They probably are using VBR, as I upped the quality on all of the cameras once I started offloading to the GPU and it reduced my CPU usage considerably.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I have noticed over the years is that my Blue Iris recordings are larger when there is a lot of movement.
Windy days with the tree branch shadows moving around have much larger files compared to normal days.

I am using direct 2 disc and the blue iris dvr format. ON one hand I thought it was its own file format.

I will have to double check my cameras to see if they are using VBR or not. They probably are using VBR, as I upped the quality on all of the cameras once I started offloading to the GPU and it reduced my CPU usage considerably.
when using d2d blue iris has zero control over the file size, this is determined by the stream sent by the camera. BVR is just a container