Blue Iris controlling home automation

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Everyone;

I've searched but I haven't found many threads regarding how to setup Blue Iris to be able to trigger a light to turn on etc.

Not sure what options might be available or if there was a best way of doing this?

What I found so far is the BI supports MQTT, so maybe this combined with something like a Homeseer PI would be a good way to be able to control ZWave devices?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the Shelly Wi-Fi smart switches, AC outlets and LED bulbs have a published API, including MQTT, that Blue Iris via HTTP can turn on/off via curl or that can receive input from them. For input to BI I have used them to trigger a cam, change profile and move to a preset; and for output from BI I have turned on lights and sounded an alarm.

The Shelly1 supports 12V DC, or 24 – 60V DC or 110-240V AC; UL-certified Wi-Fi operated relay switch, 1 channel @ 15A, "dry" relay contact

More here ==>> Simple Blue Iris I/O using Shelly1 Wi-Fi Devices

shelly1.jpg
Shelly1_size.jpg

Last edited:

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This looks pretty cool and definitely a decent option.

I was also wondering if there was a way to tap into the eco systems of all the popular zwave type devices?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Obviously how you do this will depend on the automation system you decide to use (or are already using). MQTT is an obvious choice, but other solutions may work too. The good news is that BI really has an excellent triggering system as well as various communication methods, so it is relatively easy to add additional automation (like turning on a light) to the system without requiring a ton of work.

There are plenty of lighting devices/switches that support MQTT, so it might be as simple as adding one of those and a MQTT server to your house as TonyR suggested. Personally I have started using WiFi enabled switches that are compatible with Tasmota. Tasmota is a third party firmware that works with certain devices that removes any internet/cloud dependencies that are so prevalent on WiFi automation devices and also adds functionality like MQTT.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do things the opposite way. I have about a dozen outdoor PIR connected to HomeSeer. When there is motion on one of the PIRs, HomeSeer changes PTZ preset to that area of motion. Works very well.
Are you using something like the Homeseer PI connected to Blue Iris via MQTT?

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using something like the Homeseer PI connected to Blue Iris via MQTT?
Using HS3 with free mcsMQTT plugin.

Here are a couple of events that control my balcony PTZ to preset 1 and preset 2.

blueirismqtt.jpg

I also use HomeSeer to adjust the timeplan settings for the PTZ. This is way more complicated but works well. I might start a new thread to go over that if anyone is interested.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using HS3 with free mcsMQTT plugin.

Here are a couple of events that control my balcony PTZ to preset 1 and preset 2.

View attachment 153883

I also use HomeSeer to adjust the timeplan settings for the PTZ. This is way more complicated but works well. I might start a new thread to go over that if anyone is interested.
That would be great if you could start a thread with more detail. When you say HS3, is this just the software running on your BI windows PC, or do you have it running on a Homeseer hardware device?

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you say HS3, is this just the software running on your BI windows PC, or do you have it running on a Homeseer hardware device?
I have HomeSeer HS3 running on a dedicated computer, IntelNuc. Some people have homeseer and blueiris running on the same computer, so that is an option. I prefer to keep them separate. BI with lots of cameras and AI tends to stress the hardware.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have HomeSeer HS3 running on a dedicated computer, IntelNuc. Some people have homeseer and blueiris running on the same computer, so that is an option. I prefer to keep them separate. BI with lots of cameras and AI tends to stress the hardware.
OK, right makes sense. I've been looking at the PI version of their controller.

Reaction score
What I found so far is the BI supports MQTT, so maybe this combined with something like a Homeseer PI would be a good way to be able to control ZWave devices?
That's really the crux of it. The home automation software handles the management of the Z-Wave devices and provides a mechanism
for automating control of those devices when events occur. MQTT allows other software, such as Blue Iris, a straightforward way to
send those events to the home automation software.

There are several good home automation packages, and the choice on which one to implement often comes down to the degree of
complexity and configuration the user wants. I use Home Assistant, Blue Iris, and MQTT and it all works well. I am
happy to provide details on my hardware and software, but I don't want to bore anybody (further), so, I will include a couple of screenshots,
that might make the process a little more tangible.

Blue Iris as an MQTT client pushes a message to the MQTT broker with a topic and payload - in this case, my
"driveway_right" camera. Note that the text for the MQTT topic and payload is just something I made up, but it has to
be formatted with slashes as shown (that's not entirely accurate - you could just subscribe to something like "blue_iris" to receive
all events, but you would have no idea which camera or device sent the message.)

Camera Settings--> Trigger--> Immediate actions...--> Web request or MQTT:
1676056752528.png

And similar to the Homeseer 3 screenshot above, Home Assistant provides something called an "Automation" which has Triggers, Conditions, and Actions.
A "Trigger" can be an MQTT message:
1676057116763.png

and then an "Action" (turn on a Z-Wave switch in this case):
1676056382857.png

It can get complicated pretty quickly if you want, with various conditions, multiple areas, devices, and entities, but hopefully this helps.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys;

So I have my Homeseer PI device setup and working withthe mcsMQTT plugin installed. I'm having no luck however getting BlueIris to talk to it. I'm getting the following when trying to test the connection. Any ideas?

1677422154185.png

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, well that post above was dumb..... I actually have it connecting briefly to the server now, but am seeing the following.

1677423128950.png

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Post your HomeSeer msMQTT settings. I had trouble using password authentication so I left it out.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I rebooted my homeseer and the test is working now. I removed my username and password for the MQTT plugin as well.

I've got the following setup and do see some sort of MQTT message, but I don't think it's what it should be....

This is my MQTT request below...

1677426858353.png

This is what I'm seeing in Homeseer

1677426937038.png

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like Blue Iris is sending a MQTT message successfully to HomeSeer. It is topic: BlueIris and payload: "DRIVEWAY"

That is probably not what you were looking for. You will have to adjust the BlueIris settings in MQTT and get the correct formatting etc. The user manual is your friend there. I don't have experience with this and I can't help you further.

If you want to have a Homeseer device for that topic/payload, you need to check the box under column "a" which will create the device.