Blue Iris CPU Spiking

Gray Connolly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not being critical of this wonderful programme, but I have noticed my CPU has been spiking alot since last few updates.
Any reasons for this that is known??.
Better still is there a fix?? LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not being critical of this wonderful programme, but I have noticed my CPU has been spiking alot since last few updates.
Any reasons for this that is known??.
Better still is there a fix?? LOL
Have you made any other changes? How is it spiking?

Gray Connolly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman
I have not made any changes at all except the text overlay and the BI Tools. It is spiking up to 90,s on a regular basuis and constantly in high 40,s now, This time a month ago, it was generally in low 20,s at most. Now I keep getting the windows message saying BI is using a lot of CPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman
I have not made any changes at all except the text overlay and the BI Tools. It is spiking up to 90,s on a regular basuis and constantly in high 40,s now, This time a month ago, it was generally in low 20,s at most. Now I keep getting the windows message saying BI is using a lot of CPU.
Did you stop using direct to disk?

Gray Connolly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the help
I have taken a screen shot of my current setup with Direct To Disk . I have not made any changes to this at all (it shows Direct To Disk as off). I do not pretend to understand the Direct To Disc much, what are the ramifications of turning it on, if any??
Currently the CPU on Blue Iris is idling in mid 40's,
What should I do in regards to Direct To Disk?? does it mean I will lose timestamping and overlays etc??
Cheers for advice in advance guys.
2015-11-22.png

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, you will lose the overylays...they will be present in live view...when you export you can add the correct timestamp back into the video (provided you record to the blue iris dvr (.bvr) container as you are now. Just use your cameras built in timestamp.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the help
I have taken a screen shot of my current setup with Direct To Disk . I have not made any changes to this at all (it shows Direct To Disk as off). I do not pretend to understand the Direct To Disc much, what are the ramifications of turning it on, if any??
Currently the CPU on Blue Iris is idling in mid 40's,
What should I do in regards to Direct To Disk?? does it mean I will lose timestamping and overlays etc??
Cheers for advice in advance guys.
View attachment 6455
Check the "Direct-to-disk" radio button, press "OK" and you should see an immediate significant improvement in your CPU load.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gray Connolly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have ticked the Direct To Disk option and will watch for a day and report, cheers guys

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. This halfed my BI CPU usage
Great. Remember with direct to disk, the recording will start on a key frame so..you should do two things, lower you cameras iframe interval to match your frame rate (or at lease something reasonable like 15-20) and set pretrigger frames to at least 1-2 times your frame rate. So if your fps is 15, set the pretrigger frame to 15 or 30....