Blue Iris Crashing at 2 AM

htex

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris has been crashing at 2 am sporadically but it is always around 2 am when it does. I've emailed support and they weren't much help.

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.5.3.7, time stamp: 0x58fb8bc6
Faulting module name: mfc120u.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524fa0af
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008931
Faulting process id: 0xc20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c2a565450c09
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\mfc120u.dll
Report Id: 0d195b45-7687-11e7-a895-408d5caff509

I'm running the latest version - 4.5.9.11 x64

PC is a i7-4790 with 8 gig ram. All cams are Foscams of various 3mp firmware versions.

At one point I was told by support:
"That is a big clue about 2am!

This is the default time for the database compact ... Options/Clips.

Please Zip the DB folder and send this to me.

You can try then a right-click in the Clips list and database/repair. If this does not fix it, please delete that folder completely and allow it to rebuild."

After waiting nearly a month for a review of the DB folder I sent support followed up with:

"Please update to the latest.

Please see the Troubleshooting topic in Help for where to find the crash details fro reporting.

Please attempt to isolate the issue to one camera, feature, etc."

this was a few months back so I've gone through several updates but the issue persists and frankly I don't have time to sit around at 2 am to try and play wack a mole with the software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has an idea on how to get the software to restart or notify me that it has crashed that would be helpful. Barring that I'm about to wash my hands and move on to something that won't crash.

Reaction score
Under Blue Iris Status click on Status Alerts and you can configure it to send an email when the software crashes. Are you running it as a service or using blue iris tools so it automatically restarts after it crashes? If its always crashing at 2am it sounds like it has something to do with the Compact/repair setting under Clips and archiving. I unchecked that on my installation because it will temporarily pause recording while its completing the task. Try unchecking that option and see if the crashes go away.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris has been crashing at 2 am sporadically but it is always around 2 am when it does. I've emailed support and they weren't much help.

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 4.5.3.7, time stamp: 0x58fb8bc6
Faulting module name: mfc120u.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524fa0af
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008931
Faulting process id: 0xc20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c2a565450c09
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\mfc120u.dll
Report Id: 0d195b45-7687-11e7-a895-408d5caff509

I'm running the latest version - 4.5.9.11 x64

PC is a i7-4790 with 8 gig ram. All cams are Foscams of various 3mp firmware versions.

At one point I was told by support:
"That is a big clue about 2am!

This is the default time for the database compact ... Options/Clips.

Please Zip the DB folder and send this to me.

You can try then a right-click in the Clips list and database/repair. If this does not fix it, please delete that folder completely and allow it to rebuild."

After waiting nearly a month for a review of the DB folder I sent support followed up with:

"Please update to the latest.

Please see the Troubleshooting topic in Help for where to find the crash details fro reporting.

Please attempt to isolate the issue to one camera, feature, etc."

this was a few months back so I've gone through several updates but the issue persists and frankly I don't have time to sit around at 2 am to try and play wack a mole with the software.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has an idea on how to get the software to restart or notify me that it has crashed that would be helpful. Barring that I'm about to wash my hands and move on to something that won't crash.
First uninstall and reinstall - make sure you have the key..that should resolve the problem...
if you run as a service it will auto restart...also you can download blue iris tools from this site which will restart if it crashes.

htex

n3wb
Reaction score
All thanks for the ideas...

A reinstall is a last resort, hopefully I don't have to go there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All thanks for the ideas...

A reinstall is a last resort, hopefully I don't have to go there.
A reinstall takes less than 3 minuets...not sure why its a last resort..it will likely solve your problem...no one else is reporting this issue on the site...

htex

n3wb
Reaction score
@smiticans -- Thanks, your advice to disable compact/repair put a stop to the crashes. It hasn't crashed in over a month.

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just checked my 5 Blue Iris servers and they all experience the same problem for varying periods of time. One server is particular looses 1:48 of footage for all cameras starting at 2AM. Two particular cameras do not recover for 3 hours. Nearly 2m of footage is about what is missing on all servers from 2am.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just checked my 5 Blue Iris servers and they all experience the same problem for varying periods of time. One server is particular looses 1:48 of footage for all cameras starting at 2AM. Two particular cameras do not recover for 3 hours. Nearly 2m of footage is about what is missing on all servers from 2am.
Yes this is normal when the database is set to repair rebuild at 2am, in the clips and archiving tab. Uncheck it. The length of time will depend on the number of clips and how fast the drive you store the db file is (ideally an ssd)

JackStone

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes this is normal when the database is set to repair rebuild at 2am, in the clips and archiving tab. Uncheck it. The length of time will depend on the number of clips and how fast the drive you store the db file is (ideally an ssd)
Thanks fenderman. What is the long term affect of leaving unchecked if any?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. What is the long term affect of leaving unchecked if any?
It will be ok.
From the manual
Database compact/repair is normally performed each night at 2am. The primary purpose
of this function is to remove “holes” in the database produced by deleted records. It is
typically a short process, but recording is suspended during this time. If 2am is not a good
time to pause recording, you may wish to change this time, or disable it altogether and
perform it manually on occasion by using the right-click menu option in Clips, Database—
>Compact/Repair.