Blue Iris Dedicate PC specs needed..8 Hik cams, 3MP & 4MP

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey experienced BI users, I am halfway through my project to install my system. I have BI running on a spare PC with weak specs and have 4 Hik 3MP POEs running on it now and have 4 more 4MPs coming on the slow boat from China...

Normal operation, I will only be recording on motion detect on the exterior cameras (6). When away, I will motion record on the two interior cams as well.

I plan on keeping the Hik cameras running dumb and using the BI functionality for all record/alert functions.

The only functions I am using in the Hikvision cam settings are the overlays for location and date/time, because I understand that will reduce workload on the BI server.

I have a gigabit Ethernet lan and one of the 3MP cams is wireless; all of the others will be POE.

can you recommend min processor/RAM specs and potential sourcing? I'd did search this forum and have seen Dell Outlet recommendations. Which Server Line from Dell might suffice? Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go with a dell optiplex 7020/9020 i7-4790 from the outlet. Should run you about 500 or less. 4gb of ram will be plenty.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I went looking and I saw that they had option in minitower, small form factor, and micro or ultrasmall form factor, which I like the most since it will be easier to tuck out of sight. they all appear to have 500GB HDs

any reason not to go with that ultra small? I don't think I need to upgrade HDs for more space.....or do I? I am not doing 24/7 recording just motion....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I went looking and I saw that they had option in minitower, small form factor, and micro or ultrasmall form factor, which I like the most since it will be easier to tuck out of sight. they all appear to have 500GB HDs

any reason not to go with that ultra small? I don't think I need to upgrade HDs for more space.....or do I? I am not doing 24/7 recording just motion....
The micro is not available with the i7-4790, only much weaker T processors. Go with a small form factor. They are pretty compact and will allow you to use a large 3.5 drive should you need more storage in the future. If you have the room, the mini tower is the best bet, lots of room to add drives.

yacobid

n3wb
Reaction score
Thinking about this, gets some pretty epic reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106531&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Will be planning on running plex, using as file server, maybe a homrun or ceton tuner, and no more than 8 HIKvision 3mp cameras(prob will have no more than 4 installed.

What do you think? enought power. I will also be adding more ram, havent decided on OS yet, suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking about this, gets some pretty epic reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106531&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Will be planning on running plex, using as file server, maybe a homrun or ceton tuner, and no more than 8 HIKvision 3mp cameras(prob will have no more than 4 installed.

What do you think? enought power. I will also be adding more ram, havent decided on OS yet, suggestions?
These are good servers, I use the previous ts-130 model at the office. The problem is that its no more powerful than an i5 haswell. Since you plan on running 8 3mp cameras at full resolution it should be ok but I would go with an i7 haswell. You can get a dell 7020/9020 in the 500 range with an i7-4790...that is the same cost as this system after the OS.
Also, I would not run any other software on a system intended for recording VMS. You want it to be as stable as possible.

yacobid

n3wb
Reaction score
A top of the line $500 machine that will only run security cameras?

I'm installing this in my home primarily for security and eyes for my home automation system. Is there not a setup that would allow me to do file server, plex, and security cameras in one box?

Tiger has the full size tower version of the same setup on sale for $299 today. That's less than the cost of most dedicated NVRs

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A top of the line $500 machine that will only run security cameras?

I'm installing this in my home primarily for security and eyes for my home automation system. Is there not a setup that would allow me to do file server, plex, and security cameras in one box?

Tiger has the full size tower version of the same setup on sale for $299 today. That's less than the cost of most dedicated
Yes that is the proper way to do it... Lots of folks multi-task the machine, but I don't recommend it. Think of it as a standalone nvr.

Sent via Taptalk

yacobid

n3wb
Reaction score
at that price point why not do 300 HIKvison DVR and 299 server ? that would seem to be more efficient than 2 powerhouse computers running 24/7. Any feature/ performance I would be missing using this option?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Never mind, I think I answered my own question by looking further on the Dell site. Looks like a number of different processors within each model.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
at that price point why not do 300 HIKvison DVR and 299 server ? that would seem to be more efficient than 2 powerhouse computers running 24/7. Any feature/ performance I would be missing using this option?
Blue iris is WAY more flexible than a NVR....particulary when it comes to scheduling, alerts and cameras that can be used. If you buy the right computer, they dont use much power at all. See this example. I purchased it for 317. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5696-PC-NVR-Power-Consumption-Sample
That is adequate for most blue iris setups.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know what @fenderman is saying about dedicating a machine to BI if you can, but I multitask mine and have been for months now without any signs of problems that I can tell. I started off running BI on a mac mini (2012) multi tasked that thing to the point it was time to upgrade. Now I have split the duty of the two machines but still multitask on the BI server with FTP server, print server, and a couple of other things without issues.

I would say if you only have the cash for a single machine and need to multitask it, go for it. But fenderman is right, it should be a standalone machine to avoid the most complications possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris Dedicate PC specs needed..8 Hik cams, 3MP & 4MP

Get the Dell Optiplex 9020 i5 haswell 4590 ($400 when in sale) and the Blue Iris software, and you will see that's the best thing you did! 500gb is good and before i got this tower i had the nvr , but the dell with B.I. is 10 times better.

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used to work for Dell, and can tell you the OptiPlex line is bulletproof. The warranties that came standard with those things are 3-year, next business day, on site. Cannot beat that. I have three OptiPlex computers at my house: two SFF and one MT. The SFF are a bit more limited in what you can do with them, but should be enough for running Blue Iris. There's even room for a half-height upgraded video card.

le0pard

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best way to catch one of the Dell OptiPlex 7020/9020 i7-4790 machines when they go on a big sale? Do I just need to continually check the Dell Outlet site until I see the price really drop, or is there a better approach?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the best way to catch one of the Dell OptiPlex 7020/9020 i7-4790 machines when they go on a big sale? Do I just need to continually check the Dell Outlet site until I see the price really drop, or is there a better approach?
Follow dell outlet twitter or setup alerts on a site like slickdeals.

aztihg

n3wb
Reaction score
Will a Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon Quad Core 3.06 be appropriate for this type of job? I have 4 Hiks all 3MP. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will a Dell Precision T3500 with Xeon Quad Core 3.06 be appropriate for this type of job? I have 4 Hiks all 3MP. Thanks.
No, those are old machines and power hogs...what is your budget?
You can get a great modern efficient haswell i5 for 300....

aztihg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. This will be a dedicated remotely controlled machine. I'm in Canada, and here the deals are not as good as in US. So, you suggest that an i5 will suffice. I'll look around and see what I can find in my budget (approx CAD$600).