Blue Iris Dropcam Nestcam support

vbprof

n3wb
Reaction score
Supposedly, the new Blue Iris supports Dropcam or Nest cam. I tried many ways, but nothing seemed to work. Does someone have step by step instructions? Thanks.

TWong1200

n3wb
Reaction score
I saw that this is supported now too but haven't purchased a Dropcam/Nest unit yet. Would like to read some feedback first. Have you had any luck getting this to work?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that this is supported now too but haven't purchased a Dropcam/Nest unit yet. Would like to read some feedback first. Have you had any luck getting this to work?
I dont know this for certain but I think there would be a constant upload and download stream as blue iris would be pulling the stream from the cloud. That makes it not feasible as a long term solution. There are MUCH better cameras than dropcam.

TWong1200

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think it'll pull from the cloud. I think it streams via the http URL.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it'll pull from the cloud. I think it streams via the http URL.
I dont think nest allows for direct local streaming..I believe its pulling from the cloud like the nest app or streaming to a web browser would.
"
  • In order to find the stream path on a Nest camera, open the public viewer in a web browser, right-click to view the page source and search for rtmps. When adding a new camera to Blue Iris, copy and paste this rtmps:// URL into the address box."

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My bro-in-law uses a dropcam, (prior to it becoming nest cam) to remotely view his condo interior and beach view in FL from CO...fwiw, he says it works great and has a very clear image. (Have not asked about night/dark images).

He does not, however, use their recording service as he does not want to pay those monthly fees.

Using blue iris would be a great solution if it now works I think.

But other than recording direct to a computer running 24/7 in the condo, wouldn't he have to push to, and pay for someone else's cloud service anyway?
Or are there free remote / cloud recording options out there?

@fenderman.....you say there are many better alternatives to this camera. ..would you mind suggesting a few?
Keep in mind, setup and use would have to be as dumbed down and simple as the nest cam for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My bro-in-law uses a dropcam, (prior to it becoming nest cam) to remotely view his condo interior and beach view in FL from CO...fwiw, he says it works great and has a very clear image. (Have not asked about night/dark images).

He does not, however, use their recording service as he does not want to pay those monthly fees.

Using blue iris would be a great solution if it now works I think.

But other than recording direct to a computer running 24/7 in the condo, wouldn't he have to push to, and pay for someone else's cloud service anyway?
Or are there free remote / cloud recording options out there?

@fenderman.....you say there are many better alternatives to this camera. ..would you mind suggesting a few?
Keep in mind, setup and use would have to be as dumbed down and simple as the nest cam for him.
A hikvision/laview wide angle 2mp cube camera. Goes on sale for 80 dollars all the time. PIR sensor, line cross, sd card etc.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The
I see they have a 3mp version too but not sure of that adds much value for an indoor view of a single room.
I did not set it list what the FOV was, just that it is 4mm.
I could user one with a full 90 deg FOV did looking at my front door area and down the hall garage entrance point at the same time if anyone makes that wide of an angle.