Blue Iris Gradually Goes to 100% CPU Usage

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
So I completely replaced the memory with brand new memory and still have the issue. Also no memory errors were detected on the old pair of ram. I am seeing this ntdll error several times a day, though blue iris only seems to require me to kill the process about every 2 days. Anymore ideas? Windows is up to date.

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link pov2, missed that earlier. I just went ahead and tried this andd set each camera resolution using the force option. restarted blue iris...we shall see what happens tomorrow! Thanks again

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
so I tried manually forcing all of the cameras resolution and still had it crash this morning. was using 6gb of ram by the time I manually killed it off.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Go back to basics and try it with just 1 cam. So take a backup of BI then remove all the cams and then find just one cam. See how that behaves, then add a 2nd etc. If it fails with just one cam then try another differing model assuming your cams aren’t all one type.

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
that may be a fun process. We currently have a mix for analog cams fed from a watchdog dvr, and around 20 ubiquiti cameras. This issue didnt seem to start until we added more ubiquiti cameras. May have to bail on blue iris as this isnt a site I can keep having issues with :(

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually did a complete clean install with an iso made from MS. Didn't seem to have any impact.

As for SouthernYankee are you saying ubiquiti are no good? come on now. every vendor has issues somewhere

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if your application is mission critical, why are you using second string cameras that may be hackable or have already been hacked.
Please take a serious look at your cameras as the source of the problem
google search "ubiquiti cameras hack security risk"
some of the results....
Over 485,000 Ubiquiti devices vulnerable to new attack | ZDNet
Are Unifi cameras being used in the latest botnet attacks? | Ubiquiti Community
Cameras can be isolated from the Internet. Then it doesn't matter even if a baby can hack them.

MTL4

n3wb
Reaction score
Cameras can be isolated from the Internet. Then it doesn't matter even if a baby can hack them.
X2

It’s always important to create the proper VLANs / network rules to isolate your cameras so they never have access to the internet. That way any cameras vulnerabilities are then rendered useless.

paluszak

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way... I am using Windows 10 in service mode. I have been running in direct to disk mode for a while in this system. I also saw the same condition you did with the CPU usage creep. I also see some of my cameras (all WiFi) drop out once in a while. I checked the signal strength and they are all "excellent" (better than -70dB). I think it might be some interferance from the neighbors, but I am not sure. All my cameras are on my 2.4 GHz WiFi since most of them are not able to use 5GHz WiFi.

Wow!! 35 cameras?? I have only 8 and I have heard of many people running into the trouble you describe with less than 8. I know that Blue Iris is supposed to do, what, 64 or so. Well I think that is pushing it. I think you can overwhelm just about any computer with the number you are working with. I wonder how many are on the typical large system.

I had 14 Camera's and had been flirting with 90-95% CPU utilization. Now I have 15 (added one) over weekend and I am at 100% all the time? Can someone help with any tips other than the record to disk and already known / published "tricks"!? Thank you! Jason

paluszak

n3wb
Reaction score
I had 14 Camera's and had been flirting with 90-95% CPU utilization. Now I have 15 (added one) over weekend and I am at 100% all the time? Can someone help with any tips other than the record to disk and already known / published "tricks"!? Thank you! Jason

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your CPU and memory ?

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab

paluszak

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your CPU and memory ?

1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What CPU and memory , what type and size are your hard drives.

Looking at the screeshots, this looks like a very old CPU with almost no memory. The good thing is that he cameras are also low resolution.

Also make sure that the BI folders are NOT be scanned by windows defender. Do not run the defragmenter on the drive with the video.

------------------------------
1) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

paluszak

n3wb
Reaction score
What CPU and memory , what type and size are your hard drives.

Looking at the screeshots, this looks like a very old CPU with almost no memory. The good thing is that he cameras are also low resolution.

Also make sure that the BI folders are NOT be scanned by windows defender. Do not run the defragmenter on the drive with the video.

------------------------------
1) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

paluszak

n3wb
Reaction score
It is indeed older, however, none of this started until I added the 15th camera? Before that it was running at around 60 to 75% CPU? I can and will replace it with a new computer soon, just seems odd that it was fine before with this EXACT same hardware and config?

Jason

1.) 1601920566503.png

2.) 1601920718421.png

3.) 1601920765066.png