Blue Iris h265 update?

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been kinda out of the game as far as latest information regarding blue iris. Once I got my system setup and running smooth with no issues. I’ve learned just to let it be. You never know what could come from an update. Im still running Blue Iris release version 5.0.8.0. Its stable as can be. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at 4-5 months of continuous uptime.
I've been going in and out of threads this morning but haven't found anything conclusive. Does Blue Iris now support h265 hardware acceleration. If so! this will be great. Im currently running an i9-9900k on 38 cameras also have a GPU installed as well to offload some of the load and keep everything running smooth. The CPU is still doing majority of the work in my system, but under load I'm looking at about 50-60% on the CPU MAX.
With 38 cameras (majority on continues recording), as you can imagine uses a lot of disk space! With a recent lawsuit against us from a "customer falling" (he didn't). We want to go back even further.
12tb of storage right now allows us to go back just over 2 weeks. We are looking at needing the ability to go back 3 months. Switching to H265 could double my recording capacity alone..

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can record at h.265. The latest version of BI now supports hardware acceleration processing on H.265.

I recommend up grading BI to the last stable version. Then change one camera to h.265 and test it for motion detection. Go slow on adding H.265.

There also has been changes to use a substream for motion detection, this reduces CPU usage.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can record at h.265. The latest version of BI now supports hardware acceleration processing on H.265.

I recommend up grading BI to the last stable version. Then change one camera to h.265 and test it for motion detection. Go slow on adding H.265.

There also has been changes to use a substream for motion detection, this reduces CPU usage.
awesome! I know about the substream implementation. That’s really brand new and potentially can be buggy. I’m excited about h265. Luckily i don’t use it much for motion detection at this time. But I will slowly move over. Switching inessential cameras first.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"Limit decoding" is quite viable on continuous-recording setups (but read the Limit decoding section here).

Blue Iris did recently fix H.265 decoding with Intel hardware acceleration (hardware video decoding is sometimes referred to as "HWVA"). However the latest few patches have been a mess. Last time I checked, there are three Intel hardware acceleration options and Intel + VPP is the new "most-efficient" choice. Again, I haven't checked this in a few weeks but the old-best "Intel" option now has higher GPU utilization for no apparent reason, and the "Intel Beta" is much higher CPU usage. There are also a couple other new options (DirectX VA2, Direct3D11 VA) which in my experience only fall back to software decoding or fail outright.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Limit decoding" is quite viable on continuous-recording setups (but read the Limit decoding section here).

Blue Iris did recently fix H.265 decoding with Intel hardware acceleration (hardware video decoding is sometimes referred to as "HWVA"). However the latest few patches have been a mess. Last time I checked, there are three Intel hardware acceleration options and Intel + VPP is the new "most-efficient" choice. Again, I haven't checked this in a few weeks but the old-best "Intel" option now has higher GPU utilization for no apparent reason, and the "Intel Beta" is much higher CPU usage. There are also a couple other new options (DirectX VA2, Direct3D11 VA) which in my experience only fall back to software decoding or fail outright.
limit decoding doesn’t really work for the way that my system is utilized unfortunately. Which is why I have it set up the way I do