Blue Iris Install for 16 x 5 MP cameras

Reaction score
Hello,

I read the wiki and about 20 different posts by other users, but I am still looking for some ground truth. I am new to Blue Iris with no hands on knowledge except for what I've read.

My setup:

Covering about 10K sq ft building with 16 IP POE cameras (5 MP w/IR, motion sensing, but no PTZ). Plan to record on motion detection only which should be a rare occurrence, but may want to record 24/7 some days. Also, plan on receiving push notifications on motion activation which should also be a rare occurrence.

Questions:

What kind of hardware do I need for this? I have my eyes set on a i7-6700 w/16GB RAM in a Dell OptiPlex 7040 (Link: Dell Optiplex 7040 Intel Core i7-6700 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 10 Mini Tower | eBay)

Is this overkill, not enough, or just right? I'm not looking to overpay for unneeded CPU as I have no intentions of requiring additional cameras.

Would someone with expertise give me an idea of if I am looking at? Is this optimal hardware? What sort of CPU utilization can I expect (I understand it will be a very rough estimate)?

P.S. Thanks to whoever runs this site. Excellent info for me, the Blue Iris Newbie!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running more than 16 cameras, but not all are 4K, and they are 17fps. I am using a i7 8700 which has the 630 graphics onboard.
Its running smooth, sometimes I see a weid 100% spike, and not sure what it is. But just today was a 5.0.6.6 update that might be related to this? We shall see.
What have you gathered so far on your needs?

I have at least 7 PTZ, and that wont make much of a difference to Bi.
Yes, that page with all the CPU and FPS with the bitrate of info is helpful.

I think IF anything, your variable may need to be the FPS.