Blue Iris isn't recording anything after months of flawless performance.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears that BI stopped making any recordings yesterday around 8:30pm. I have a 6 camera setup and have never had any issues until today. I immediately ran a DB repair and rebooted the PC but it didn't seem to help at all. I'm running version: 5.7.7.18 x64. And all storage drive appears to be fine. Below are my settings, any suggestions or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Attachments

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IF, it was working, don't make any BI changes. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Look for a drive failure. Or a motherboard issue. Pass a large file from a PC drive to the storage drive back and forth. Should be over 100MB roughly depending on drive speed.

Shutdown the pc. Unplug the PC for 5 minutes. Hit the ON button. Wait 5 mins. Plug back in the power cord. Power up said PC again, all in this order. Check for proper BI operation.
Thanks, I'll try this when I get home. What makes me think this is specifically something tied to BI, is that I don't see the orange box motion triggers around my video feeds when something is in frame. It's as if Blue Iris isn't even looking for any motion. My timeline and clips are completely blank from about 8:30pm last night. Weird?!

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see a couple small non-related tweaks. Trigger tab, break time, end trigger should be 10 seconds. Really nothing wrong with your setting. Record tab, pre trigger record time should be 20 seconds.

Is that code project working for your triggers okay? Noticed you turned off all the BI triggering. To me that code deal takes more cpu and of course more electricity over time. I don't see a need for it myself. If it works for you great. I get all the false triggers and real ones I need with BI only LOL.
Yep, I've run deepstack for almost a year and haven't had any major issues. I think I've had to rebuild a database once or twice after a power outage but nothing more than that. That's why I was so surprised when I woke up this morning to see everything had just come to a halt.

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You say it’s been running fine for almost a year with no major issues, but you are running BI version 5.7.7.18, which is a fairly recent update. Do you have automatic updates turned on? You might try rolling back to an earlier, known stable version.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also remember BI is on a Windoze machine. Might be time for a BI PC wipe and reinstall everything. Talking about a full fresh install. No clone image junk full of virus garbage from the last install.
Thanks. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to this. The ONLY thing running on this machine is Blue Iris and Deepstack. It was originally a bare bones Windows 10 install. I have windows updates turned off and only VNC into the machine every few weeks or so. Everything else is done through the web UI.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You say it’s been running fine for almost a year with no major issues, but you are running BI version 5.7.7.18, which is a fairly recent update. Do you have automatic updates turned on? You might try rolling back to an earlier, known stable version.
Good point. I did update to a recent build just before my license was about to expire. What is the most stable build that is recommended now?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you aren't taking advantage of any update from since the version you were at, just stay on it. So go back to that one.

Many of us are on older versions once we find one that is stable and works for our situation. They are not security updates, but rather improvements that you may or may not need.

As an example, you said you are using Deepstack. That hasn't been supported by BI in over a year and has switched to CodeProject, so every update you take on is one more chance that Deepstack could break as BI makes mods for CodeProject.

I am still on Deepstack so I am still on a version prior to when CodeProject was introduced.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you aren't taking advantage of any update from since the version you were at, just stay on it. So go back to that one.

Many of us are on older versions once we find one that is stable and works for our situation. They are not security updates, but rather improvements that you may or may not need.

As an example, you said you are using Deepstack. That hasn't been supported by BI in over a year and has switched to CodeProject, so every update you take on is one more chance that Deepstack could break as BI makes mods for CodeProject.

I am still on Deepstack so I am still on a version prior to when CodeProject was introduced.
Thanks for the reply, this makes sense. Unfortunately I'm not sure what version I was running prior to making the switch to the latest update before my license expired. Can you share what version you are running? I might give that one a try and see if I can get this resolved! lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on BI 5.5.6.21 as that is the last one that fully supported Deepstack. Not that newer versions won't, but I think at some point as more changes are made to BI to accommodate CodeProject, inevitably something will stop working with DeepStack.

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, quick update. I ran home for lunch and decided to play with my install for a few minutes. I shut down the service and moved all my BI storage folders (db/Storage/New/Alerts) into a backup folder and created a fresh set. Booted back up the service and everything appears to be working again. Weird? At this point I'm assuming the DB was toast and just wasn't repairable? Nevertheless I only keep about a 10 day archive so it's no big deal but I may end up going back to a previous version and leaving it alone. Thanks again everyone! Sorry for the fire-drill!

This forum is the best!

Reaction score
I just had the same issue this week. Blue Iris suddenly stopped recording for no apparent reason. I checked all logs and Windows events but no smoking gun; nothing unusual occurred anywhere near the time it stopped recording. I tried restarting the service and then rebooting the server with no joy; I also tried moving the 'New' folder to a different disk but it still didn't work. I finally downgraded to the last stable version and recording magically started again. I was running version 5.7.9.12 when the problem happened. I downgraded to version 5.7.8.3 to make it work again. Hopefully this version will be ok for the long haul. I had been running on 5.7.9.12 for about 12 days before the failure. Hope this information helps others with the same issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just had the same issue this week. Blue Iris suddenly stopped recording for no apparent reason. I checked all logs and Windows events but no smoking gun; nothing unusual occurred anywhere near the time it stopped recording. I tried restarting the service and then rebooting the server with no joy; I also tried moving the 'New' folder to a different disk but it still didn't work. I finally downgraded to the last stable version and recording magically started again. I was running version 5.7.9.12 when the problem happened. I downgraded to version 5.7.8.3 to make it work again. Hopefully this version will be ok for the long haul. I had been running on 5.7.9.12 for about 12 days before the failure. Hope this information helps others with the same issue.
You must turn off auto update. Otherwise you will have issues like this.