Blue Iris lagging question

Hetcamsys

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

At my work I installed blue iris on a windows server 2012 R2. We have added a total of 40 IP camera's which will record when triggered. The problem is every 2-3 days blue iris is frozen, and I have to reboot the program for it to work.

Also when more then two users are watching camera's through the web interface the program start to lagg a lot. Anything I'm doing wrong or I can do to prevend this from happening?

Note: I do have the latest blue iris update installed

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

At my work I installed blue iris on a windows server 2012 R2. We have added a total of 40 IP camera's which will record when triggered. The problem is every 2-3 days blue iris is frozen, and I have to reboot the program for it to work.

Also when more then two users are watching camera's through the web interface the program start to lagg a lot. Anything I'm doing wrong or I can do to prevend this from happening?

Note: I do have the latest blue iris update installed

Thanks in advance!
What model cpu? what resolution and frame rates for the cameras?
What is your cpu consumption?

Hetcamsys

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU: Intel xeon E5-2620 2.0 ghz (24 cpus)
FPS: 13 fps

With resolution you mean the resolution thats under 'camera properties', 'video'?
It says: image format: 2688x1520

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
CPU: Intel xeon E5-2620 2.0 ghz (24 cpus)
FPS: 13 fps

With resolution you mean the resolution thats under 'camera properties', 'video'?
It says: image format: 2688x1520
do you have dual cpu?
What is the consumption, its likely pegged at 100 percent.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are fairly old, slow 6 core CPUs (7971 @ cpubenchmark) with hyperthreading. So yeah he has two of them in the box.

If the cameras are all the same resolution (4 megapixel) and same frame rate (13 FPS) then that comes out to 2080 megapixels per second. I'm surprised it works at all. You should try to keep the system's CPU usage under 80-90% under any normal circumstances, so there is a little left over for unusual activity like exporting videos, and unusually active periods with a lot of recording going on. Not to mention sometimes other programs (especially those built in to windows) will max out a core sometimes. With as many cores as you have, this is slightly less of a concern.

This big of a load will take a lot of optimization. Direct to disc on all cameras. I'd even go as far as to disable the Blue Iris text overlays unless they are adding information the camera can't overlay itself (like a temperature).

Under Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab, make sure hardware acceleration is disabled (because it is not supported by Xeon E5 CPUs), and set a live preview frame rate as low as you can live with (like 1 FPS, even). Blue Iris can use a LOT of CPU time drawing video to the screen, and reducing the frame rate of the live view wont' hurt your recordings in the slightest. Run Blue Iris in service mode with the GUI closed if nobody is using it.

After all those things, if CPU usage is not under control, you need to start logging in to camera web interfaces and reducing their frame rates. 6 or 7 FPS is enough for most situations, though it may not be pretty to look at. I've been known to run some cameras as low as 3 FPS when I was starved for CPU power.

Hetcamsys

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your anwser, i changed the live preview framerate from 60 to 20. Hardware acceleration was disabled by default. I was running blue iris as a service, but when I did that the program didnt run stable at all. The CPU usage is around 60-80% now.

Lets see how it runs now. Now we're at it, I got another question. In the blue iris remote view is there any way I can sort the camera's? Seems they are random located in the list.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The ordering in remote views is the same as the order in Blue Iris.

20 FPS is hardly a live view frame rate limit. Your limit won't have any effect until it is lower than the frame rate of your cameras. How much this limit matters of course depends on the size of your BI window. If you fill a 4K monitor for example it can of vital importance to limit the frame rate, but if you use it on an older 1080p monitor instead, then it is not nearly so bad.