Blue Iris Live video shows jaggies every ~20 seconds

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a number of Blue Iris systems out in the wild using the 5442 camera from Andy. Viewing the Live view directly on the camera admin UI shows smooth video, however, when I view the live video using my Blue Iris iOS app, I get jaggies every 20 seconds or so. I've checked and this occurs on most if not all of my systems. It seems I'm missing some common setting.

The camera in question is running full rez, 20 fps, 40 iframe int. No hardware acceleration on BI, running an i5-3470. CPU usage around 30%.

Sample of issue below. You'll see at 1:00:30 it just jumps 4 or 5 seconds and the jaggies show up.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Match the iframe rate and frame rate. That is the recommended setting by Blue Iris. It needs to be a ratio of one. Motion detection starts on the first available iframe.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made that change, but it seems to have made no impact.

Capture.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a number of Blue Iris systems out in the wild using the 5442 camera from Andy. Viewing the Live view directly on the camera admin UI shows smooth video, however, when I view the live video using my Blue Iris iOS app, I get jaggies every 20 seconds or so. I've checked and this occurs on most if not all of my systems. It seems I'm missing some common setting.

The camera in question is running full rez, 20 fps, 40 iframe int. No hardware acceleration on BI, running an i5-3470. CPU usage around 30%.

Sample of issue below. You'll see at 1:00:30 it just jumps 4 or 5 seconds and the jaggies show up.

This vid was recorded on your phone?
Have you performed ALL the optimizations listed in the wiki on BI?
You may have the bit rate set too low in the BI phone app it's self, increase it.
To be honest, I see those same issues on my android app on my phone, and have never been able to solve it. Ken doesn't seem interested in fixing it.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The video was recorded using the video capture option in the BI iOS app while viewing a clip of this camera. Will go back and check the wiki. I have the FPS set at 21 in the BI app.

EDIT - I have 7 other cameras on this system (older bullet style Dahua) that do not have the issue, so it's not system wide.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure you have the system power settings set to performance, and low and high for the CPU set to 100%.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screen shot
Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) cameras tab ( the full frame, including the info in the lower left (MP/S).
Windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network.

Does this problem occur when viewing on the BI console ?

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Capture.JPG

I'm not sure if this happens on the console because I'm headless accessing via RDP. I can connect a monitor and see if it happens.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
headless a major clue...
Are you using a dummy HDMI plug ?

Set power settings in windows.
Power setting Sleep: never
Power Display screen: never

screen shot
Windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not using a dummy plug. Could I just hook up a monitor to the machine instead?

1622572232506.png

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just hooked a monitor up and I do NOT see the issue when viewing this camera in the console. I still see the issue in the iOS app.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a monitor would be OK. The I2 in the HA column indicates that you are using some hardware acceleration processing.

Also note that on the driveway2 camera you have a lot of No signal errors
You are not using WIFI ? If wired check your connections.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On Driveway2, the No Signals are due to me removing the camera over night. It hasn't recorded any new errors since reconnecting the camera. Was testing a new model.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've gone back and checked some of my other systems and they're all doing this on one camera or another... no real rhyme or reason to the model or make. Frustrating.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it not the default streaming profiles with their low bit rate settings? I always end up upping them in my streaming profile for UI3 because of this. If I don't, when using UI3, I get those terrible jaggies. There is a similar setting in the BI console for the apps that will determine the bit rate that is sent to them.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's something I haven't investigated. Can you provide more info on what to check/change?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Settings -> Web server -> Advanced -> Configure (for streaming Profile 0). Inside of that you can see the default were it limits the bit rate and video quality. Either uncheck it, or change either (both) to a larger number.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Settings -> Web server -> Advanced -> Configure (for streaming Profile 0). Inside of that you can see the default were it limits the bit rate and video quality. Either uncheck it, or change either (both) to a larger number.
That seems to have done the trick! I unchecked the limit option and set the quality to 100 as a test:

1622638680863.png

I don't see the jaggies or time jump every ~20 seconds now. Thanks for the tip!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that when you are on regular cell data (LTE) then its possible that you may not get fluid video depending on your cell connection strength and bandwidth since you aren't compressing the video any longer. Its a trade off of course.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that when you are on regular cell data (LTE) then its possible that you may not get fluid video depending on your cell connection strength and bandwidth since you aren't compressing the video any longer. Its a trade off of course.
Got it! I'll fiddle with it to get it down to where it's optimized but not showing the issue. Thanks again