Blue Iris major update release cycle

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tested Blue Iris in evaluation mode until now and I'm thinking to purchase one license.
I know there should be around 3 years cycle period for a major release.

Does someone knows when was the last major release or when will probably be the next one?
If I buy today how close am I going to renew my license?

Additional licenses are half-price after your first purchase, but what about upgrading?

Thanks.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are scared about spending a few $, stay in the dark. Just do it, you can not beat it.

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please post on topic, don't draw concluzions .. I want to buy it, not something else.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When buying extended service through the BI app, it says you get "Access to a year of extended email support, updates, and all version upgrades". So I guess the question is, do you also get all version upgrades during the first 1 year of support that comes free with your BI license? I can't answer that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tested Blue Iris in evaluation mode until now and I'm thinking to purchase one license.
I know there should be around 3 years cycle period for a major release.

Does someone knows when was the last major release or when will probably be the next one?
If I buy today how close am I going to renew my license?

Additional licenses are half-price after your first purchase, but what about upgrading?

Thanks.
Buy It Now, and if God forbid version 5 comes out it'll only cost you about 30 bucks... You either need a VMS or you don't need a VMS... You can sit around waiting 6 months or a year.. pointless..

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
100% I need a VMS, but for sure I don't want to pay 30$ again in 3 months...

...the question is, do you also get all version upgrades during the first 1 year of support that comes free with your BI license?
Thanks bp2008 that seems to be the exact question.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
100% I need a VMS, but for sure I don't want to pay 30$ again in 3 months...

Thanks bp2008 that seems to be the exact question.
No one is forcing you to upgrade in 3 months... And that's assuming there's going to be a new version then... What if you wait three months and nothing happens... Are you going to wait another 3 months.. it's $30 that's nothing in this Arena... Hell most other vms charge at a minimum $50 a license per camera.

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Correct fenderman and Yes, you're right, but I feel better knowing all terms from the start.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct fenderman and Yes, you're right, but I feel better knowing all terms from the start.
What terms? no one from blue iris posts on this forum. In the past upgrades were always half price. I dont see why it would be any different.
The terms are very clear here http://blueirissoftware.com/support/
you are not entitled to any free major revision upgrades unless you buy extended support. In the past he has offered the upgrade free if you purchased in the last month. He has also offered free minor revision upgrades even after the first year. I think you will be better off with an NVR. All the updates are free until the manufacture decides to drop support when ever they feel like it.

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman for their Support link.
Somehow I missed that page and all the info was there.

"Basic support is included with your initial software license purchase."
"Major version upgrade protection = 30 days" (for Basic plan)

Now everything is clear.