Blue iris mobile app android

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was just reading some comments on the Google play store for Blue Iris mobile app. Before you post some cry baby review saying the app sucks, maybe learn what the hell you are doing first.. Just because you cant figure it out, doesn't mean it's the app..

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
It works fine for me and my wife. However, at this point, we're both using UI3 through Chrome on our phones and other PCs. Neither of us uses Chrome for anything else because of the amazingly pervasive tracking it generates. So that makes it convenient, actually. When I asked my wife how she's been remotely viewing the cameras, she just said "chrome". :)

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
We do both the app and UI3 via open VPN. I just prefer UI3. I really like how the alerts can be viewed through UI3. We have the app on both of our phones, but neither of us has used it much at all since "discovering" UI3.

They both work fine.

Edit to add:

I just fired up the app on my phone. It is nice in a lot of ways. Swiping to scroll through the cameras is kind of handy. They both have their appeal. It's kind of nice to have both available. :)

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just fired up the app on my phone. It is nice in a lot of ways. Swiping to scroll through the cameras is kind of handy. They both have their appeal. It's kind of nice to have both available. :)
The only problem is I struggle with identifying which one works best for my needs. I find the gestures of switching between camera views on UI3 to be a little more natural, though the native app works just fine too once you know them. I've had the app crash on me a few times (not a lot, but certainly a 'few' times in the couple days I've had it installed) where comparatively I've yet to see that happen from Chrome/UI3. Like you said, good to have both. Maybe someday I'll figure out a habitual pattern from my own use and stick to one or the other. :p

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the app support mobile push notifications or do you use another app for that. I'm looking at making a switch from my NVR to BI but a critical feature for me is android push notifications for any activity on the cams.

Kind holding of from pulling the trigger on BI until i can confirm i can somehow get push notifications. my NVR/Dahua mobile app does it great but i know BI is a much better solution overall

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the app support mobile push notifications or do you use another app for that. I'm looking at making a switch from my NVR to BI but a critical feature for me is android push notifications for any activity on the cams.

Kind holding of from pulling the trigger on BI until i can confirm i can somehow get push notifications. my NVR/Dahua mobile app does it great but i know BI is a much better solution overall
Yea it's under alerts in the camera properties on bi.. then you add your phones

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was just reading some comments on the Google play store for Blue Iris mobile app. Before you post some cry baby review saying the app sucks, maybe learn what the hell you are doing first.. Just because you cant figure it out, doesn't mean it's the app..
It doesn't "suck", but could use a refresh. Plus, with Android 10 the bottom of the screen is cut off (I have multiple devices running Android 10 doing the same thing) making it impossible to use the image and video capture buttons, as well as I can barely click on the last camera because it won't scroll down any more.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Lately, UI3 hasn't responded properly to "pinch to zoom" gestures on our android devices, making it very hard to view cameras at anything but their native "image fills the screen" size.

Since I often want to zoom in on smaller areas of a camera's coverage area to see better detail, I've been using the app more and more.

It uses a long press to select a particular camera, and then you swipe to move through your cameras, leaving the pinch to zoom working fine once a particular camera has been selected and brought up "full screen". So that's very nice to have.

I still prefer UI3 if I'm on a PC or other device with a mouse. But on our phones, the BI app has been getting more use for us lately.

However, audio playback seems garbled with the App, while UI3 is excellent for that use. So it is still very nice to have both UI3 and the BI app on our Android phones and tablets. Between the two, we can do what we want to do.