Blue Iris New Build Questions

Reaction score
I'm hoping to build a PC NVR to use with 3 or 4 HD IP Cams and I have some questions on the requirements.

I have a Supermicro X8S1E server with a Xeon X3450 CPU and 8GB of ram. If I put in a 120GB SDD and 1TB Purple drive would this suffice?

Do I need a Graphics Card?

Is Blue Iris able to be configured remotely, I'm hoping to run the NVR headless.

Is Windows 7 fine? Or should I use Windows 10?

Any suggestions and I would be grateful thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to build a PC NVR to use with 3 or 4 HD IP Cams and I have some questions on the requirements.

I have a Supermicro X8S1E server with a Xeon X3450 CPU and 8GB of ram. If I put in a 120GB SDD and 1TB Purple drive would this suffice?

Do I need a Graphics Card?

Is Blue Iris able to be configured remotely, I'm hoping to run the NVR headless.

Is Windows 7 fine? Or should I use Windows 10?

Any suggestions and I would be grateful thanks!
terrible choice...that cpu is a powerhog and does not support intel hd with quicksync that blue iris can use for hardware acceleration..that cpu is 8 years old..you can buy a much more efficient and powerful sandybridge or higher i5 system for 100-300 (300 for i5-6500 skylake)...

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Blue Iris can be configured remotely. I use Remote Desktop running on a MacBook Pro to configure and maintain Blue Iris running on a headless Windows 10 box.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. That's a bit of a bummer about the cpu. I didn't buy the server to use with blue iris its just one I had. This is really more a project for fun than necessity. Are you saying that the computer would probably run what I want but be very inefficient at it? Would a GPU help.