Blue iris - noob questions: Integration with H.A. / Dahua vs Hikvision vs Ubiquiti

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at setting up an NVR and motion captured recordings for 2-3 x POE cameras.
I will run the NVR software on either an i3-2100 or i7-3770.
The PC running the software also is a DIY nas.
I use home assistant for home automation and it is running a raspberry pi.
My gateway / router / switch / wifi AP are all running UniFi.

The features I (think) I want are:
- Cameras handle motion events so that I don't use excess CPU power
- Record 24x/7 but discard video after X number of days (?14 days)
- ?? Record motion activated events and keep those clips for longer ?? (?90 days)
- Don't record motion events on the indoor camera when home assistant alarm is off.
- As well as recording events trigger by motion in the camera I'd like to trigger recording events from home assistant (eg. incorrect door code entered on smart lock or window opens when alarm activated).
- Be able to view low frame rate images / videos in the home assistant web gui.
- Have an application on my phone (android) to view live video stream
- ?? Be able to view recorded video with timestamps through an app on my phone or mobile website ??

Would blue iris be preferred or should I go with zone minder?

Does blue iris support all the above features?

If I am choosing POE cameras (Budget = $50-150 USD per camera) do any of the brands offer more functionality that is in line with what i want.

I've been looking at
- Dahua/Armcrest
- Hikvision
- Ubiquiti
- Reolink

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know that hikvision have built in line crossing detection vents and can trigger events within home assistant they can also record direct to nas using motion events.

Do the dahua starlight turrets support motion detection and can they be used to trigger events within home assistant, eg. can the post an http call or mqtt message or push notification or something like that directly form the camera, or do you have to rely on Blue iris to do all the heavy lifting?

Reason being I'm not sure if I want windows on my nas or not :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that hikvision have built in line crossing detection vents and can trigger events within home assistant they can also record direct to nas using motion events.

Do the dahua starlight turrets support motion detection and can they be used to trigger events within home assistant, eg. can the post an http call or mqtt message or push notification or something like that directly form the camera, or do you have to rely on Blue iris to do all the heavy lifting?

Reason being I'm not sure if I want windows on my nas or not :)
dedicate a machine to blue iris, no nas, no gaming, no tv no nothing...it does not use any significant cpu to do the motion detection as it normally decodes all video unless you specify otherwise...and its far superior to the cams motion detection..there is nothing wrong with windows despite linux fanboy rants...