Blue Iris not deleting footage

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had a problem yesterday with my nas running out of space. Ended up being because my recycle bin on my nas didn’t delete files.. So everything was previously working great up until that point.
now my local storage is just getting hammered.. I deleted all my footage yesterday. To try to start over and I wake up this morning with my local storage full. It’s suppose to only use 50gb for local storage. And now it’s using everything. 250gb. Here’s my settings. It is copying things to my nas. Just not deleting from my new folder.
81DCD04F-E5BF-4654-9F1D-0C45DEB51FC7.png C4812752-5B5E-49DA-8CC0-66615B2FC34E.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
With that much being recorded I am guessing you are recording continuously. I don't know, but depending on the size of your clips, BI might not have time to move them properly before your local disk is full? My own continuous recording system produces about 41 GB per hour (I have all its cams set to start new clips on the hour) but the default is 8 hour clips and that could easily produce files that are way too big for things to work smoothly with a 50 GB storage limit.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
how many cameras do you have ?
How big is each of the camera files ?

On each camera set the record time to 1 hour. This creates small file sizes easier fo BI to manage.
Do not allocate move than 90% of your free space on each device to Blue Iris.

provide a screen shot of the status for clip storage.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With that much being recorded I am guessing you are recording continuously. I don't know, but depending on the size of your clips, BI might not have time to move them properly before your local disk is full? My own continuous recording system produces about 41 GB per hour (I have all its cams set to start new clips on the hour) but the default is 8 hour clips and that could easily produce files that are way too big for things to work smoothly with a 50 GB storage limit.
Appreciate the feedback. Some cameras are recording continuesly. And some cameras are only recording when triggered. 21 cameras total right now. Recording at 1080p, 15fps.
I do have errors saying disk is full.. but it won’t delete any files although it’s copied to my nas...I’ve paused recording for a night just to see if it would straighten itself out and “catch up” but it still doesnt delete the files off of local storage.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how many cameras do you have ?
How big is each of the camera files ?

On each camera set the record time to 1 hour. This creates small file sizes easier fo BI to manage.
Do not allocate move than 90% of your free space on each device to Blue Iris.

provide a screen shot of the status for clip storage.
21 cameras and I will change that record time. I believe I kept it the default

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well my point is, Blue Iris's clip moving functionality is not the most foolproof. It may have problems if it the clips it currently has open (for writing) are ever chosen to be moved. By reducing the "combine or cut" time interval on all your cameras, you help to ensure that this does not happen. If you only have room for 8 hours of video, and your clips stay open until they are 8 hours long, then you will have problems. Once the disk is full, the clip database likely can't receive new data, and the clip moving part might crash without completing any moves.

Depending on your recording settings, 250 GB of disk space might not go very far. You need to be using direct to disc (otherwise BI's default encoding settings usually make your clips much larger and also lower quality than they need to be). The bit rate is the only thing that affects how much disk space is required. Resolution and frame rate are not used in this calculation.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well my point is, Blue Iris's clip moving functionality is not the most foolproof. It may have problems if it the clips it currently has open (for writing) are ever chosen to be moved. By reducing the "combine or cut" time interval on all your cameras, you help to ensure that this does not happen. If you only have room for 8 hours of video, and your clips stay open until they are 8 hours long, then you will have problems. Once the disk is full, the clip database likely can't receive new data, and the clip moving part might crash without completing any moves.

Depending on your recording settings, 250 GB of disk space might not go very far. You need to be using direct to disc (otherwise BI's default encoding settings usually make your clips much larger and also lower quality than they need to be). The bit rate is the only thing that affects how much disk space is required. Resolution and frame rate are not used in this calculation.
After some investigation. It now looks as though it’s not writing to my nas. Weird. It’s not deleting it because it’s not moving them.. initially it was. Now that seems to have stopped as well

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Need a screenshot of clip storage. With 21 cameras, you will us a lot of disk space for just one camera rcording. Set the continuous record time to one hour on each camera.
Use only 90% of the disk space for BI.
Read up on how to configure the bi service security and the Nas security.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need a screenshot of clip storage. With 21 cameras, you will us a lot of disk space for just one camera rcording. Set the continuous record time to one hour on each camera.
Use only 90% of the disk space for BI.
Read up on how to configure the bi service security and the Nas security.
appreciate the feedback. I've gone thru and changed all the cameras to record clips for 1 hour as recommended. I've upped the storage as well for the new folder.
I still can't get it to copy the files automatically to the storage folder which is my nas. I can manually right click each file in blue iris and click move to stored folder and it will do it. But it won't do it automatically anymore..Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.06.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.06.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.08.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-31 at 7.08.35 AM.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running bi as a service ? Does the username and password on the service match the username and password on the Nas for the folder?

If there is any red on the status page you have a problem.

What is the size of the alert folder ?

set the combine and cut size to 1 hour not 8 hours, this will reduce the file size

What are the clip file sizes?

If it were me I would start by solving the problem on your c drive. Set the new folder to delete and not worry about the Nas. Get ride of the red on the c drive status page.

Last edited:

jfseeker69

n3wb
Reaction score
appreciate the feedback. I've gone thru and changed all the cameras to record clips for 1 hour as recommended. I've upped the storage as well for the new folder.
I still can't get it to copy the files automatically to the storage folder which is my nas. I can manually right click each file in blue iris and click move to stored folder and it will do it. But it won't do it automatically anymore..View attachment 45462View attachment 45463View attachment 45464View attachment 45465
I have been fighting a similar error have you worked out why blue iris doesnt delete from your NAS ? I have 7tb available on my nas where blue iris places older recorded vids, once the 3.5tb folder fills BI errors out it will not delete the files over the 3.5tb limit I set.
Did you get your BI to write to your NAS again ?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Nas problem is a security issue. Does the owner/user and password that is running the bi service have read write delete access to the Nas. If you are using the default windows account for the service, this will not work.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been fighting a similar error have you worked out why blue iris doesnt delete from your NAS ? I have 7tb available on my nas where blue iris places older recorded vids, once the 3.5tb folder fills BI errors out it will not delete the files over the 3.5tb limit I set.
Did you get your BI to write to your NAS again ?
Wow, this was so long ago.. Blue Iris does delete the footage properly for me now. I would check and make sure the user u are using for blue iris to log into your nas has permissions to delete files. Also, when deleting. Make sure it’s not going into the recycling bin.