Blue Iris Not Deleting "Stored" Videos On Time?

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had BI5 running smoothly for years, but have noticed a problem for the last few months that has required my manual intervention to fix each time.

My "Stored" alerts are moved to an auxiliary 3TB drive and are supposed to be limited to 21 days. On my actual 3TB drive, however, in the "STORED" folder - I routinely find huge chunks of files that are older than 21 days. This ends up eventually filling the 3TB hard drive and requiring me to manually delete these older files.

Similarly, the "New" recordings are not behaving right either. It's supposed to limit the clip age for 7 days, but I only have the last 48 hours worth of clips - all the rest older than that are missing.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: My goal settings:

New recordings kept for 7 days, then moved to "Stored" where they are kept for 21 days. Delete anything older after that.

CAM2a.jpgCAM2b.jpgCAM2c.jpgCAM2d.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had similar problems. I believe I had to delete and regenerate the database to fix it. Go to the local console clip list, right click any clip, and choose Database > Delete & Regenerate. Expect this to cause you to lose all your past Alerts. You could try Repair/Regenerate instead if that would be a problem.

This isn't caused by anything you did wrong. It it 100% Blue Iris's fault. Unfortunately clip database issues are common even though recent updates have focused on database stability and monitoring capabilities. Blue Iris's buggy clip database is still one of its biggest weaknesses.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Disable auto protect when flagged. And confirm that the old files are not protected.

As far as your new folder is concerned, You have limited the space to 200 GB and that is why it's being moved.

In general it makes no sense to limit by the number of days but rather only by the amount of available storage.

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both! I am repairing the database (started that before you replied).

I unchecked the "Auto Protect when Flagged" and also removed the # of days limit for "New" and "Stored" clips. Instead, I set the defaults based on size available on disc. This is a dedicated BI machine, but I'll monitor storage over the next few weeks to see if it fixes the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both! I am repairing the database (started that before you replied).

I unchecked the "Auto Protect when Flagged" and also removed the # of days limit for "New" and "Stored" clips. Instead, I set the defaults based on size available on disc. This is a dedicated BI machine, but I'll monitor storage over the next few weeks to see if it fixes the problem.
Ensure to leave some free space on the drives. Confirm that you are not getting any over allocation errors.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the size of your C:\ drive?
Just curious if the free space has become lower than your allotted size.
I have my NEW folder on X:\ ( 8TB drive).... my C:\ drive is only 256 GB.