Blue Iris not starting. Cannot be opened or updated.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just noticed that today for some reason, I wasn't able to get into UI3.
Got home and remote desktopped into the BI machine. Tried opening the console.

It returned the error "The service may not be initializing properly or quickly enough; try again in 30 seconds and reboot PC if this persists".
I restarted multiple times, and same thing.

Services.msc shows both Blue Iris and CodeProject.AI Server both running. I stopped them both and ran the latest update from the blue iris website. It showed that it updated 4 files, and then it tried restarting the service, and then it returned the same error above.\

I can't find any previous versions online.

What do I do?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've had this happen a few times. I killed the service and reran the update and then everything was fine.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok previous versions don't seem to help.
The service is stopped, and I keep trying to update to different previous versions (even going back to september) and it keeps returning the same error message upon starting.

What now?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I restarted the PC and tried opening up the BI console... And then a few seconds later, it froze and become unresponsive. It gave me the error message 'Lost connection to service'.

It then quit on its own.

I tried opening it up again, and.... Same message as my OP.

What now?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Download the full version and install it over the top of your current version.

I get the error 'Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/remove programs on the control panel.'

Do I uninstall it?

What about my settings?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stop the service and then change the service startup type to manual. Reboot and then try to run the update again.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stop the service and then change the service startup type to manual. Reboot and then try to run the update again.
I did that, and it gave me the same error.
'Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/remove programs on the control panel.'

Which would make sense, since it's detecting another version of the software on the computer, not the service.

What now?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You got this while running the update (not the full version)?
No, only when trying to install the full version.

The update returns 'the following program may not have installed correctly'. Then it gives me two options 'install using compatibility settings' or 'this program installed correctly.
No matter which one I choose, I go to open the console, and it returns the error "The service may not be initializing properly or quickly enough; try again in 30 seconds and reboot PC if this persists".

I'm starting to panic now.

What do I do?

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok I uninstalled it and reinstalled from the full version you linked earlier.

I restarted the computer, and now when I try to open BI, it goes through all the prompts on the splash screen, and then.... It disappears.

No console window, no process, nothing. The service doesn't even appear in services.msc anymore.

What's going on here??? I didn't change any settings over the past week, and it was working fine just last night.

My BI machine is basically a useless brick now and I have NO SURVEILLANCE now.

Can somebody who knows what they're talking about PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP???

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you have BI set to export your settings? If so you should be OK to uninstall and reinstall.

Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 11.12.39 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What help would that be if I can't even open BI??
Um deleting it from the registry is like it didn't even exist on the computer to begin with and then you start fresh....

But it is clear you didn't want his help with your "Can somebody who knows what they're talking about PLEASE GIVE ME SOME HELP???" so he went to bed LOL (BTW his advice is what other people would have said as troubleshooting methods in progression)...

So don't be surprised if nobody else jumps on to offer help...

Looks to me like you have been bit by the auto updates feature turned on in BI....

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing you could try is, stop the BI service, then within Regedit locate the branch "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software", highlight it and then right-click and select Export to save away a copy of the current settings. One you have done this expand and locate "Cameras" and rename this branch to something like "Cameras.sav", then restart the BI service and then try the GUI. If this works then BI will create a new "Cameras" branch and there will be no cams in the console.

The above is a good way to identify if you camera config is causing an issue.

Moving on from there, you could examine the reg key "ip_hwaccel" for each camera within the branch you renamed and set that to "0" which will set the Video Acceleration property in the cam to Default, also look at the branch" Blue Iris\Options" and the key "hwaccel", I think setting that to 0 sets the acceleration property to Disabled at the higher configuration level. Once you have done this you could once again stop the BI service, then again in Regedit, rename any existing "Cameras" branch and then rename the saved "Cameras.sav" above back to "Cameras" and then start the BI service and then once again try the GUI.

I've concentrated on the acceleration properties as from what I've seen that in the main causes these types of issues where the console/service keeps on crashing.