Blue Iris not starting. Cannot be opened or updated.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I got the idea from another thread to turn off my cameras, so I unplugged my PoE switch.

Suddently, BI decides to open to console.

I restarted, plugged my PoE switch back in, and everything is now back to normal.

How the hell could this happen??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As someone mentioned, a camera configuration got wacky. It is usually a result of someone using hardware acceleration and auto updates....

Plus keep in mind you did a lot of reinstalls and other things, so you could have wrote over the problem and this seemed like the fix, but wouldn't have been the fix if this was the first thing you tried before any reinstalls.

Corvus85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As someone mentioned, a camera configuration got wacky.
How? I'm using the exact same settings as before the problem appeared. No config was changed.

It is usually a result of someone using hardware acceleration and auto updates....
I don't use HA, and it updated last on the 4th - it was working fine just yesterday.

Plus keep in mind you did a lot of reinstalls and other things, so you could have wrote over the problem and this seemed like the fix, but wouldn't have been the fix if this was the first thing you tried before any reinstalls.
How would this be possible if the error was replicated right up till the very moment I power cycled my PoE switch? I didn't make any updates/changes between unplugging it, opening BI, then plugging it back in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was an issue in a prior update that if a camera lost signal BI would whack out, so maybe you had a camera that lost signal and power cycling the POE switch fixed it.

And sometimes things just happen.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, that's a pretty big security risk. So evidently, they haven't fixed it yet.
It was fixed, but maybe it creeped in to a new update, but sometimes it is the result of a bad configuration in a specific camera that rears its ugly head with an update.

My suggestion for you would be to unplug the cameras one by one and see if you can find the problem camera and then delete and re-add that camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How....How, how did that happen. You don't need a black and white answer for every thing that doesn't go according to plan.....I love it when people ask how something could have happened......after you unfuck them....Like somehow it'd still your fault for helping. I dont see a fucking thank you anywhere in the post, Just more fucking impatient demands for an explanation..... bullshit.....
You know how? It's bit flipping from highly energetic Neutrinos passing thru interstellar Space from Zeda-Reticuli 287 thru your chipset.
Ask Murphy.

Reaction score
I've had this happen a few times. I killed the service and reran the update and then everything was fine.
How do you kill the service? When I go to "services" in windows and click on blueiris it tells me "windows could not stop the BI service on local computer, error 109: The pipe has been ended"

Reaction score
I got it solved.
Turns out the new ANpViz PoE camera that was added was blocking BI from starting up. So when I just unplugged that camera, BI started right up immediately.
Then I went into the camera settings and found that the camera time was causing the BI service to go wacky (for some reason the new camera was set to Singapore time when I am in the USA- all my other cameras are in USA time. I am thinking the time was set to something wasy in the past. When I set it to something current, BI started up fine with camera plugged in.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Wouldn’t think the time being out will be your issue. More likely you’ve plugged it in with BI already running.

Hardware acceleration being enabled on a cam that doesn’t support it has been known to cause this type of issue but for you right now the acid test is to restart BI and see if it’s still happy with the cam plugged in?