Blue Iris now laggy and unusable after move from PoE Switch to Router

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last fall I had a coworker come and help me set up my new camera system.

I have 9 Riolinks and 2 Dahua PTZ's connected to a PoE Switch in my basement. My entire infrastructure is as follows:

1 Netgear Nighthawk r7900 in dining room where my comcast internet comes in
1 Wireless AP in the garage [connected to internet via powerline adapter]
1 Network PoE Switch in the basement [connected to internet via powerline adapter]
1 Desktop PC in the basement running Blue Iris [connected to internet via PoE Switch]

Due to Covid-19 I have to work from home for the next 3 weeks (possibly longer). So I decided to move my PC from the basement upstairs to my desk so I can log-in to my work computer and get meaningful work done.

The issue is now my camera feeds are super laggy. The camera's do the timestamp overlays (I have a local process feeding time to the cameras) and sometimes they're as much as 20 seconds behind. My PTZ's are impossible to move as they move a lot instead of little (even with 1 mouse click).

I have a feeling now that Blue Iris is connected to my Nighthawk router (instead of the PoE Switch) that it's applying some other blocking mechanism on the cameras preventing them from updating as often as they should. I didn't know if I should ask this here or in the networking section so I can always ask this there as well. It's a networking issue but I figure everyone has some sort of networking background if they're using blue iris.

My CPU Usage was around 60% before, and once I moved the PC upstairs it dropped to around 20%.

Does anyone have a similar experience? What do I need to set on my router to allow the cameras to function as they were before? My system is practically useless right now as even the continuous recording looks choppy and slow.

I appreciate any assistance!

Thanks,

Corey

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are now putting all your camera traffic across the powerline adapter instead of a direct wire path between the POE switch and PC. That camera traffic is saturating the powerline connection.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.

BTW, @SawyerTheGSD , the terms "internet" and "network" are not interchangeable. I think you meant "network" and more specifically, "LAN" (Local Area Network) in most instances in your post #1.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :)

Reaction score
Ahh, I should have realized that myself. It's always the simple answer.

@guykuo So if I hardwire the Network Switch to the main router then that should fix the issue, correct? That way Blue Iris and the camera's are directly connected and won't need to use the powerline adapters. I was planning on hardwiring the switch at some point but wanted to do it right (junction boxes etc). I'll just have to drill a hole in the corner of the room through the floor and drop the cable that way...it's not the prettiest but it's quick and dirty.

@TonyR You are definitely right. I'll have to clean up my language a bit when I post here from now on! I'm no network expert but I know enough to be dangerous!

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, drop a hard line between the POE switch and main router.

Drilling a hole in the floor works, but see if one of your closets has walls aligned with a wall above. Do that inside the closet and it is easier to hide.
Alternatively, you can use an electrical box sized cutout, a flex bit extender, and a series of drill extensions to make a hidden passage. This is easiest with an INTERIOR wall, one that isn't insulated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, I should have realized that myself. It's always the simple answer.

@guykuo So if I hardwire the Network Switch to the main router then that should fix the issue, correct? That way Blue Iris and the camera's are directly connected and won't need to use the powerline adapters. I was planning on hardwiring the switch at some point but wanted to do it right (junction boxes etc). I'll just have to drill a hole in the corner of the room through the floor and drop the cable that way...it's not the prettiest but it's quick and dirty.

@TonyR You are definitely right. I'll have to clean up my language a bit when I post here from now on! I'm no network expert but I know enough to be dangerous!
Sometimes routers themselves choke on switching all that traffic. But yours may be ok.