Blue Iris on a Dell Vostro 420 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz - what is realistic?

RTPVid

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the old computer in the subject line, and I'm wondering if I can use it as an inexpensive "starter" system for Blue Iris. It has 4GB of RAM (the system max) and is running 64-bit Windows 10.

I realize the recommended system by members here is an i7-class machine, but will this one work for a "start small" home system?

I'll be starting with 2 outside cameras (PoE) and 1 inside camera (wifi). All connections to the computer would be through my home LAN.
I plan on all cameras being motion-activated, so no continuous recording.

If I try this, what is the realistic expectation for performance?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with that machine is that its a power hog...you can use it for testing...but running it 24/7 is a waste...you dont need an i7 for most setups...an i5 haswell/skylake system that can be had for 200-300 dollars is way more than sufficient...dont subsidize your electric company...subsidize yourself...

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used a core 2 quad for a bit and with it was OK. Biggest issue was i couldn't write to my disks fast enough. Upgraded the computer, same disk Config, no issues. Not sure if it was a bus speed issue or sata2 limitation of the motherboard. Can't remember how many cameras I was running, maybe 10 or so megapixels total.