Blue Iris on laptop?

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is anyone currently using Blue Iris on a laptop as opposed to a dedicated server (desktop for example). If you are using Blue Iris on a laptop how has that worked for you? Has overall laptop performance slowed down?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently using Blue Iris on a laptop as opposed to a dedicated server (desktop for example). If you are using Blue Iris on a laptop how has that worked for you? Has overall laptop performance slowed down?
Blue iris should run on a dedicated pc...laptop is a poor choice since it cannot hold a full size drive or be set to auto reboot after power loss (most laptops)....they are more expensive than a desktop with equivalent performance specs...they are also likely to be taken...

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I started using cameras I used a dedicated i7 laptop to see if using cameras would do what I expected. It worked fine with the 6 or 7 cameras but, not being able to auto restart after a power failure that lasted longer than the laptop battery life was a deal killer for me. Also the fan ran on high all the time. This plus what Fenderman mentioned led me to purchase a Dell i7-4770.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every time this gets mentioned, I bring this up. A good amount of laptops have auto-power on options in BIOS. Particularly Dell/HP Insprion/Elite models etc. So if you have one sitting around with a second gen or higher i3-i5 it's worth checking out if you're just wanting to run a couple or handful of cams.

That said, my personal experience was great having laptops run in tight spaces. Auto power on after failure, fans never ran high, ran at basically room temps, very powerful (2nd gen i5 models mostly) to run four or five cams @ 25-30% CPU. I didn't do 24/7 recording at any of my locations where they were installed, but motion record always worked well. They ran in measured -20F locations for weeks and 90F+ temps for days. The laptops had 4GB-8GB RAM and an SSD for OS, USB for storage, and were priced at $140-175/ea.

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue iris should run on a dedicated pc...laptop is a poor choice since it cannot hold a full size drive or be set to auto reboot after power loss (most laptops)....they are more expensive than a desktop with equivalent performance specs...they are also likely to be taken...
... Most of this post is false.

I purchase off lease business quality laptops very cheaply and they are the best bang for the buck by far.
And they do everything this person says they can't... Except they don't hold full size hdd s... No problem for most installs

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
... Most of this post is false.

I purchase off lease business quality laptops very cheaply and they are the best bang for the buck by far.
And they do everything this person says they can't... Except they don't hold full size hdd s... No problem for most installs
If you would get your head out of your ass you would realize that you can buy desktops that are used for cheap as well - business class and easy to service if need be. Dollar for dollar you will get more power out of the desktop. It is ALWAYS better to have local storage on the VMS machine...you can simultaneously send to network storage but nothing beats local storage. Furthermore, you are currently having issues with YOUR low power laptop CPU setup...you dont listen and are trying to run kodi and blue iris on the same low power machine. So stop giving users advice that doesnt work for you. You stated that "most of this post is false". So you are bing called out on it. Tell me how most of what I said is false. Stop trolling forums and blatantly lying. The fact remains THAT MOST LAPTOPS cannot be set to start after power is resumed. 100 dollars if you can point me to one statement I made that is false.

Last edited:

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you would get your head out of your ass you would realize that you can buy desktops that are used for cheap as well - business class and easy to service if need be. Dollar for dollar you will get more power out of the desktop. It is ALWAYS better to have local storage on the VMS machine...you can simultaneously send to network storage but nothing beats local storage. Furthermore, you are currently having issues with YOUR low power laptop CPU setup...you dont listen and are trying to run kodi and blue iris on the same low power machine. So stop giving users advice that doesnt work for you. You stated that "most of this post is false". So you are bing called out on it. Tell me how most of what I said is false. Stop trolling forums and blatantly lying. The fact remains THAT MOST LAPTOPS cannot be set to start after power is resumed. 100 dollars if you can point me to one statement I made that is false.
I did not say laptops were cheaper than desktop... I said if you buy a laptop, off lease are best bang for the buck.

And, my BI setup runs perfectly fine on my lower powered laptop. And my laptop is actually more powerful than my 9x 1080p cams need... My problem is with kodi, not BI.

Your assumptions about laptops are incorrect... Before calling people names or making inflammatory statements, like a child would, maybe you should seek to understand what the people are saying. You clearly did not understand anything I said in either thread

dalepa

Reaction score
Depends heavily on the the processor in the laptop.

My i5-5210u 1.6 Ghz top can just handle 3 cams before reaching 100% CPU, where my i5-4570t laptop can handle 8 before reaching 100%

My i7-3770k desktop at 4.2 Ghz desktop has 17 cams at 30%. Several other BI setting can effect CPU, so your result may very.

Eventually you will want several cam 8-10+. so if your buying, buy at least a 4th gen i5

Here's some general info on CPU/CAMS from users here: BI Processor Info

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not say laptops were cheaper than desktop... I said if you buy a laptop, off lease are best bang for the buck.

And, my BI setup runs perfectly fine on my lower powered laptop. And my laptop is actually more powerful than my 9x 1080p cams need... My problem is with kodi, not BI.

Your assumptions about laptops are incorrect... Before calling people names or making inflammatory statements, like a child would, maybe you should seek to understand what the people are saying. You clearly did not understand anything I said in either thread
Once again you're reading comprehension or lack thereof shines.. laptops are never best bang for your buck they are always going to be more expensive than an equivalent desktop so next time read what I'm writing instead of being a pompous idiot deliberately attacking. ... the issue you are having has nothing to do with Kodi but rather improperly using a vms PC for other heavy uses such as kodi...you open by stating most of what I stated is FALSE, when in fact that was a blatant lie.

Last edited:

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depends heavily on the the processor in the laptop.

My i5-5210u 1.6 Ghz top can just handle 3 cams before reaching 100% CPU, where my i5-4570t laptop can handle 8 before reaching 100%

My i7-3770k desktop at 4.2 Ghz desktop has 17 cams at 30%. Several other BI setting can effect CPU, so your result may very.

Eventually you will want several cam 8-10+. so if your buying, buy at least a 4th gen i5

Here's some general info on CPU/CAMS from users here: BI Processor Info
Agreed - it does depend heavily on the laptop. I tested my setup on a laptop before putting it on my server. The laptop, a Dell with an i5 2400m-series processor, ran shockingly cool with 6 cameras recording. It wouldn't have phased me to use it as my main CCTV system if it wasn't for the fact that my HTPC motherboard just died. In a pinch, I put the test laptop in as the new HTPC (main LCD disabled, all video piping to TV). It works great, zero issues. Before this laptop became a spare test machine, it served as my web server for over a year -- also with no issues. Fun fact: This laptop in question is more powerful than the server I'm currently using for CCTV... so there's that.

A laptop wouldn't be my go-to choice in most circumstances. I can see the advantage if you have extremely limited living space and don't have the means to run a headless (no monitor) CCTV server, and want something with a built in keyboard/mouse/monitor. They really do have merit, pending the particular laptop you're looking at is up for the task -- but if I was buying for a new setup, a laptop would be far from the top of the list -- but still on the list, somewhere. ;)