Blue Iris on older dual Xeon X5650 server?

markdvsmo

n3wb
Reaction score
If you'll pardon a newb who just went through almost the same thought process on this...
I would sell the R610 to somebody with a database, web server or similar workload, and use the proceeds to buy an i7 system. Everybody's happy.

Reaction score
I have a r710 w/ 2 X5570 cpu's. Recording 11 cameras @ 1080 20fps, direct to disk with motion detection. CPU usage is at 29% and total 6gb of RAM being used. Using 189 watts electric.

I think this was an overall good value considering the complete server (faceplace, 2 psu's, caddys, everything) was had for $140/shipped from ebay. I did take out the HDD's and put in 2 SSD's and 2 2tb HDD's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a r710 w/ 2 X5570 cpu's. Recording 11 cameras @ 1080 20fps, direct to disk with motion detection. CPU usage is at 29% and total 6gb of RAM being used. Using 189 watts electric.

I think this was an overall good value considering the complete server (faceplace, 2 psu's, caddys, everything) was had for $140/shipped from ebay. I did take out the HDD's and put in 2 SSD's and 2 2tb HDD's.
Terrible value. Old crappy server drawing 189w. You are paying about 200-400 per year in electricity costs to run this thing. You overpaid by 140 dollars. In fact it has a negative value because its a power hog.
You should have purchased a third/4th gen i5 system for 100-150 bux, and it would draw about 30-40w at your load saving you 150-300 per year over that powerhog. Dont fall for the ebay scammers selling useless outdated hardware. Sadly you got ripped off. You should dump this system and replace it as swapping it out will pay for itself in 6-8 months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Terrible value. Old crappy server drawing 189w. You are paying about 200-400 per year in electricity costs to run this thing. You overpaid by 140 dollars. In fact it has a negative value because its a power hog.
You should have purchased a third/4th gen i5 system for 100-150 bux, and it would draw about 30-40w at your load saving you 150-300 per year over that powerhog. Dont fall for the ebay scammers selling useless outdated hardware. Sadly you got ripped off. You should dump this system and replace it as swapping it out will pay for itself in 6-8 months.
I was able to tweak some BIOS settings today that I didnt know where there and got it down to 157w with 73% CPU usage. I am figuring an extra $82 per year over the 40w draw you suggested (although I dont have the i5 hardware to test and get an actual number). Since I am using it primarily for BI right now I have to totally agree with you that its costing extra money for electric. There are a few reasons someone might go for a r710 over a pain i5 desktop;

-give a student some experience with an actual fully loaded server
-4 nic cards
-2 power supplies
-6 3.5" drive bays or 8 2.5" drive bays that are extremely easy to access over a desktop
-Dell Remote Access Controller
-H700 RAID card
-Overall visual appearance over a pain desktop

Personally I think I am going to keep using it for now and if some cheap newer hardware comes up in the future use that primarily and keep the server as a backup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to tweak some BIOS settings today that I didnt know where there and got it down to 157w with 73% CPU usage. I am figuring an extra $82 per year over the 40w draw you suggested (although I dont have the i5 hardware to test and get an actual number). Since I am using it primarily for BI right now I have to totally agree with you that its costing extra money for electric. There are a few reasons someone might go for a r710 over a pain i5 desktop;

-give a student some experience with an actual fully loaded server
-4 nic cards
-2 power supplies
-6 3.5" drive bays or 8 2.5" drive bays that are extremely easy to access over a desktop
-H700 RAID card
-Overall visual appearance over a pain desktop

Personally I think I am going to keep using it for now and if some cheap newer hardware comes up in the future use that primarily and keep the server as a backup.
Doesnt matter. 157w is INSANE!!!!
Your math is off. In PA the average electric rate is .1275 per kwh, which translates into 134 a year extra for over a 40w system.
I do have the i5's to test with actual hardware and the results are posted in numerous threads.

1) a student? really? There is no difference between a "server" and a desktop with with respect to load and more importantly, what experience is gained by loading a "server".
2) you can literally run two systems at the same time and still use half the power and have true redundancy. I can recall 1 power supply failure over the last 10 years over the 100 machines I service. There is a bigger chance something else will go wrong.
3) you dont need 6 drive bays. And if you did, you can still buy or build a machine that has those functions an not cost you 134 bux a year EXRTA to run.
4) visual appearance? is this the centerpiece of your home?
Sometimes you just need to admit that you got duped and cut your losses. That thing is a space heater. Just wait for the summer to come along. Added costs of cooling the room.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@fenderman people making the wrong purchase didn’t get duped, they just made an uninformed purchase

You really are harsh sometimes, the guy may have made the purchase before he had come across the info on this site?

I do agree though that using a server spec machine for BI is overkill unless that machine also serves another purpose? I have a 12 core dual Xeon with 16 2.5” drive bays with hardware RAID but won’t be using that as the thing sounds like a hovercraft when on and consumes a ton of power but I do use it to run my VMs when working from home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman people making the wrong purchase didn’t get duped, they just made an uninformed purchase

You really are harsh sometimes, the guy may have made the purchase before he had come across the info on this site?

I do agree though that using a server spec machine for BI is overkill unless that machine also serves another purpose? I have a 12 core dual Xeon with 16 2.5” drive bays with hardware RAID but won’t be using that as the thing sounds like a hovercraft when on and consumes a ton of power but I do use it to run my VMs when working from home.
He did get duped and the seller is a scammer, that server has no value because of the enormous cost of running it. It actually has a negative value. A $100 modern PC will run circles around that. The sad part is that he still trying to justify his decision. By coming up with these silly reasons why someone would want that server. For that I will be harsh. Posting that that's an acceptable solution for running blue iris is false. This site is not a safe space. Only a complete fool would argue that spending $134 per year extra over and above the cost of an efficient system makes any sense when that efficient system can be purchased for $100.