Blue Iris on supermicro server board

balance

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New guy here, interested in setting up a home surveillance system.

Almost jump on the newegg Laview Premium IP system, but glad someone mention Blue Iris because I really want to build my own NVR. I have few supermicro boards and xeon CPU, I can use. I'm a pretty techsavvy guy, I can probably trouble shoot most computer related issue.

Question 1: Does blue iris benefit from dual xeon cpu?
Question 2: Has anyone run blue iris as VM?
Question 3: The $60 license is it one time or is there annual fee?
Question 4: Which HP POE switch is recommended?
Question 5: Is GPU decoding really important even with dual quad xeon cpu?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

New guy here, interested in setting up a home surveillance system.

Almost jump on the newegg Laview Premium IP system, but glad someone mention Blue Iris because I really want to build my own NVR. I have few supermicro boards and xeon CPU, I can use. I'm a pretty techsavvy guy, I can probably trouble shoot most computer related issue.

Question 1: Does blue iris benefit from dual xeon cpu?
Question 2: Has anyone run blue iris as VM?
Question 3: The $60 license is it one time or is there annual fee?
Question 4: Which HP POE switch is recommended?
Question 5: Is GPU decoding really important even with dual quad xeon cpu?

Thanks
1) you likely dont need a dual cpu...what type of cameras and how many? Also, older dual xeon cpu's are power hogs and dont play nice with blue iris (they always seem to perform lower than their passmark would suggest with BI).
2) some have, buy a dedicated system.
3)one time fee, until the next major release, likey two years away (and then it will likely be a 30 dollar upgrade fee)..cheapest in the industry.
4) There are lots of threads on poe switch
5) what is your cpu model?

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I have a 'home server' that uses a SuperMicro server board and chassis with a single Xeon E5-2630 v3 (8 cores with 16 logical processors 32gb ram)

I usually run 4 virtual machines, one of them being Server 2012 essentials for computer backups. etc and this VM also runs Blue Iris. No problems, I have 9 cameras and dedicate 6 cores with 6 gb ram. CPU usage is usually under 50%

Regarding POE switch - it is going to depend on how many cameras and what the power requirements are for that camera. For example, I had been using this switch which has 4 PoE ports
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

But when I bought a couple of the Huisun PZT cameras (which are really PoE+), I wanted something with more power and bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6LID0S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

balance

n3wb
Reaction score
1) you likely dont need a dual cpu...what type of cameras and how many? Also, older dual xeon cpu's are power hogs and dont play nice with blue iris (they always seem to perform lower than their passmark would suggest with BI).
2) some have, buy a dedicated system.
3)one time fee, until the next major release, likey two years away (and then it will likely be a 30 dollar upgrade fee)..cheapest in the industry.
4) There are lots of threads on poe switch
5) what is your cpu model?
Thanks for the help

1) haven't decide on camera, want dome camera, 4-5 out door and 1-2 indoor at main entrance. At the moment have dual E5620, might grab two L5460 (six core) off ebay since their value is dropping
2) The plan is to run pfsense, freenas, blue iris, few other VM on the supermicro as it will haev 96GB ecc memory
4) looking into the HP1820 POE+, I have the HP1810 very good switch and notthing beats life time warranty with same day shipout on replacement units
5) dual E5620, maybe L5640 after new years XD

balance

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 'home server' that uses a SuperMicro server board and chassis with a single Xeon E5-2630 v3 (8 cores with 16 logical processors 32gb ram)

I usually run 4 virtual machines, one of them being Server 2012 essentials for computer backups. etc and this VM also runs Blue Iris. No problems, I have 9 cameras and dedicate 6 cores with 6 gb ram. CPU usage is usually under 50%

Regarding POE switch - it is going to depend on how many cameras and what the power requirements are for that camera. For example, I had been using this switch which has 4 PoE ports
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP0SSAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

But when I bought a couple of the Huisun PZT cameras (which are really PoE+), I wanted something with more power and bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6LID0S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
damn E5 2630, very nice, but out of my budget. The new Intel xeon D-1540 is very attractive as well.

Haven't try TP-Link switch but price looks good. That's pretty good 9 cameras and only 50% load, I thought it would be higher. Very good news :D for my build

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
damn E5 2630, very nice, but out of my budget. The new Intel xeon D-1540 is very attractive as well.

Haven't try TP-Link switch but price looks good. That's pretty good 9 cameras and only 50% load, I thought it would be higher. Very good news :D for my build
The number of cameras is not the determining factor, its the resolution of the cameras and frame rate. Beware of old outdated dual cpu machines..not only will they not perform as well as a modern haswell/skylake, they are huge power hogs. On a 24/7 machine, it will be cheaper to buy a more efficient system. Remember that blue iris is adding hardware acceleration (likey intel HD)....I have seen many posts where users have trouble with high cpu usage and these old dual cpu xeon's. Dont do it.
You can buy a modern haswell with full warranty for 300 (i5-4590) or about 500 for an i7-4790...should drop further as skylake machines become available.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
The number of cameras is not the determining factor, its the resolution of the cameras and frame rate.
Good point, here is what I have:
SNAG-0009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: