Blue Iris or Synology Surveillance Station?

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been demoing BI for about a week now and while I like what I see (and the UI3 update is great as well) my question to myself is whether I will be better served using BI or Surveillance Station on my DS3615xs.

I have had good luck with my limited use of SS and I like it's features but I am admittedly not very experienced in using it in depth. I only have 3 crappy cameras at present (upgrades incoming over time) and anticipate having 6-8 cameras by the time I'm done, likely a combination of Dahuas which are supported by both SS and BI.

I own 8 camera licenses for SS presently so investment wise there's no cost to me going forward if I stick with SS. With BI I'd have a modest investment but the price seems very reasonable.

So ultimately my question is will BI give me important features that SS does not? I've looked here in the forums and elsewhere but haven't really found any comparisons of the two feature wise. My lack of real experience in the surveillance camera world makes it a bit difficult for me to judge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been demoing BI for about a week now and while I like what I see (and the UI3 update is great as well) my question to myself is whether I will be better served using BI or Surveillance Station on my DS3615xs.

I have had good luck with my limited use of SS and I like it's features but I am admittedly not very experienced in using it in depth. I only have 3 crappy cameras at present (upgrades incoming over time) and anticipate having 6-8 cameras by the time I'm done, likely a combination of Dahuas which are supported by both SS and BI.

I own 8 camera licenses for SS presently so investment wise there's no cost to me going forward if I stick with SS. With BI I'd have a modest investment but the price seems very reasonable.

So ultimately my question is will BI give me important features that SS does not? I've looked here in the forums and elsewhere but haven't really found any comparisons of the two feature wise. My lack of real experience in the surveillance camera world makes it a bit difficult for me to judge.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
since you have the SS licenses, why dont you try both and see for yourself...

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am currently. Both are working well. I was more looking for things I might be missing now (due to inexperience) that others have found that I should know about. So far I like Surveillance Station's UI and workflow a bit more but it's the things I don't know to look for that I'm wondering about.

I like BI's clips features and I haven't found anything comparable in SS so far (other than it's "Recording" section which are just the 30min files) but I may be missing that too.

Thanks.