Blue Iris PC - 1 or More Drives?

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched to and fro but can't find much solid info. I have a dedicated Blue Iris PC with no storage installed yet but have a 2TB WD Purple drive I plan on using. Am I good to use that as the only drive with OS, Blue Iris, and recordings or should I separate the recordings from the OS and software (if that's possible)? I've read conflicting info on this.

Haven't set up Blue Iris yet so not sure of options (best options).

Thanks,
Cgreg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched to and fro but can't find much solid info. I have a dedicated Blue Iris PC with no storage installed yet but have a 2TB WD Purple drive I plan on using. Am I good to use that as the only drive with OS, Blue Iris, and recordings or should I separate the recordings from the OS and software (if that's possible)? I've read conflicting info on this.

Thanks,
Cgreg
get an ssd for the OS, blue iris and the database file...everything will be quicker and smoother..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks,
Cgreg
It would be best to put the OS, Blue Iris and the Blue Iris clip database on a SSD and the Blue Iris video recordings themselves on the WD Purple drive.
Please read this for more info under "Storage": https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/choosing-hardware-for-blue-iris/

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
get an ssd for the OS, blue iris and the database file...everything will be quicker and smoother..
So much this. I tried running BI with everything on a single drive (actually a Raid 1 Array of two) and it was slower than a wet week. Moved to SSD's for the OS and it now flies along.

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be best to put the OS, Blue Iris and the Blue Iris clip database on a SSD and the Blue Iris video recordings themselves on the WD Purple drive.
Please read this for more info under "Storage": https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/choosing-hardware-for-blue-iris/
Thank you for the quick replies.

Can you elaborate on the clip database? Is that for motion detection clips?

I have an SSD for my main PC but will get another SSD for this rig. Can I use the Purple drive for everything for the time being until I get some extra $$ for an SSD?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the clip database? Is that for motion detection clips?
It's the database for ALL clips. See image below. You go to "Settings" / "Clips & archiving" and set paths for "db" (to SSD) and "New", "Alerts" and "Storage" (to hard drive.

I have an SSD for my main PC but will get another SSD for this rig. Can I use the Purple drive for everything for the time being until I get some extra $$ for an SSD?
Sure, it just won't perform as well.

Fair enough. I've got plenty of HDDs lying around. I'll use a separate one for now for the OS and software and just mirror it over to the SSD when I get it.
Good plan!

BI_recordings.jpg

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
It's the database for ALL clips. See image below. You go to "Settings" / "Clips & archiving" and set paths for "db" (to SSD) and "New", "Alerts" and "Storage" (to hard drive.

Sure, it just won't perform as well.

Good plan!

View attachment 23514
Thanks for the help, guys! Hoping to get the PC set up in a week or two.

Last question (for now). I have two identical machines, one with an i5-4570 and the other with an i5-4570S. With the PC being on 24/7, should I make the 4570S be the Blue Iris PC or use the extra juice from the 4570?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys! Hoping to get the PC set up in a week or two.

Last question (for now). I have two identical machines, one with an i5-4570 and the other with an i5-4570S. With the PC being on 24/7, should I make the 4570S be the Blue Iris PC or use the extra juice from the 4570?
I'd go with the 4570, not so much because of the higher clock speed but because it's designed to operate longer at higher frequencies before reaching max TDP (Thermal Design Power).

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd go with the 4570, not so much because of the higher clock speed but because it's designed to operate longer at higher frequencies before reaching max TDP (Thermal Design Power).
Thanks again! I knew the max TDP was higher on the 4570 so assumed the power use would normally be higher. Didn't think about the longevity association with the TDP.

I'll use the 4570S for my main PC. Got a good deal for both of them so will make use of them. I'm upgrading from an old Core 2 Quad Q9550 machine so the 4570S will run circles around it!

Cgreg

thecgreg

n3wb
Reaction score
I lied.. One last question. How large should the SSD be that I purchase for the OS, software, and DB?