Blue Iris PC upgrade

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Running an older system I bought probably 6 or 7 years ago. Did some camera upgrades when I did the install this week. Running 1 new 4K Color cam, 3 4mp cams from Andy (the ones he had on sale for 189) and 3 starlights. Running all 15 fps without issue until I open up and start watching multiple windows of recordings. Then I climb to 100% cpu and have to shut cams down to recover. What hardware upgrades would you look at for the BI machine? 20221127_191021.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Running an older system I bought probably 6 or 7 years ago. Did some camera upgrades when I did the install this week. Running 1 new 4K Color cam, 3 4mp cams from Andy (the ones he had on sale for 189) and 3 starlights. Running all 15 fps without issue until I open up and start watching multiple windows of recordings. Then I climb to 100% cpu and have to shut cams down to recover. What hardware upgrades would you look at for the BI machine? View attachment 147911
You don't need any upgrades. Use the substreams for the matrix display. Even without the substreams it shouldn't be at 100% on a system like that. There's likely something else going on.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You don't need any upgrades. Use the substreams for the matrix display. Even without the substreams it shouldn't be at 100% on a system like that. There's likely something else going on.
I'll keep digging. Thanks man. Iike saving money right now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, you have something wrong. That it still a go to machine.

Heck folks here are running a lot more cameras than you on a 4th gen with no problem.

I suspect you are not using the substreams.

Post the BI camera status page that shows the listing of cameras, FPS/key, etc. along with the total at the bottom that show MP/s.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Heck folks here are running a lot more cameras than you on a 4th gen with no problem.

Post the BI camera status page that shows the listing of cameras, FPS/key, etc. along with the total at the bottom that show MP/s.
I've never messed with substreams. They are on. But haven't tinkered with them. I'll try when I get home.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Substreams is a game changer if you are using them in BI. Having them on in the camera doesn't mean BI uses them - you need to specifically tell the camera in BI to use them. Once you implement that, your CPU will go down tremendously.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember that the newer dahua cameras have two substreams or what hikvision calls a third stream. On dauhas the second substream can be set to 1080p which is a nice compromise particularly if you are recording constantly. You can then have blue Iris record at full resolution mainstream upon motion detection. Or you can always record on motion detection and simply use the substream for the matrix display when viewing all cameras. But again I know you have something else going on here post your total megapixels per second which can be viewed in the cameras tab of Blue Iris status..

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Remember that the newer dahua cameras have two substreams or what hikvision calls a third stream. On dauhas the second substream can be set to 1080p which is a nice compromise particularly if you are recording constantly. You can then have blue Iris record at full resolution mainstream upon motion detection. Or you can always record on motion detection and simply use the substream for the matrix display when viewing all cameras. But again I know you have something else going on here post your total megapixels per second which can be viewed in the cameras tab of Blue Iris status..
Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? I will set up the sub streams later when I get home.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of what I asked for in Post 4 and we can help guide you from there.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Attachments

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll look for the link to set it up here in a bit. I really want to keep as much data as possible. I'm concerned about something not triggering and not getting video of an event. If that is possible setting things up with the second stream.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep. If substreams missed anything, none of us would use them!
Yeah I never thought of that. I'll have to read up on it. I don't have my head wrapped around how it works, what quality data is saved, etc..

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep. If substreams missed anything, none of us would use them!
Looks pretty straightforward. So it's always recording full resolution but down sizes alerts and associated files via substreams. Watching recordings of multiple cams uses substreams and if jumping to one cam get the full resolution from stream 1? Somewhat close?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I want to always record full resolution and just use the substream for viewing all cameras. I don't know, recording full resolution when triggered would help save space and I could be more aggressive with zones. Most of my zones from initial setup is right against the house. I just want to make sure I DON'T miss high def recording of important stuff.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks pretty straightforward. So it's always recording full resolution but down sizes alerts and associated files via substreams. Watching recordings of multiple cams uses substreams and if jumping to one cam get the full resolution from stream 1? Somewhat close?
That's basically the biggest part of it but not recordings as you phrased it. The live view. Recordings will be done however they're set and you'll watch those as they're recorded.

I just go with continuous myself since I don't really care about disk space as long as I can keep a couple of weeks back. Getting more than that doesn't buy me anything for my use. Most of my cams are more for watching wildlife and other general activity around the house and I sometimes like to go back on a different cam than was triggered to see things. Like having the main stream to view then. But if you want more storage, then using when triggered will save a bunch of space.

Last edited: