Blue Iris Performance Degredation Problem

memphis02

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Just want to say thanks, in advance, for this forum's collective knowledge, which was invaluable when setting my system up.

I believe I'm having a similar problem as another user in http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3610-Blue-Iris-kills-my-i7-pc however, I have a different bit of circumstances Please see as follows:

1. My cameras are recording direct to disk
2. 2 Cameras, both are 3mp hikvision running at full res. 20fps reg. quality w/ 11mb buffer
3. PC is a Gen8 HP ML350 running a single E5-2420 Hex proc (12 logical cores) w/ 24GB ram and a dedicated 1gb network port for video from an HP QuadPort NIC.
4. Disks are RAID 10 SATA Array w/ 4- 2TB 7200rpm 64mb cache barracuda drives using a physical raid controller w/ 1gb write cache.
5. Windows 2012 r2 OS
6. BI Version: 4.1.0.0

Essentially, every 4 or 5 days (this has happened even before the 4.1 update, so I cannot claim that it's exclusive to newest update) with no discernible frequency, BI will go from using 13-15% CPU to 95%+ and causes the system to be practically unresponsive. Stopping the service immediately returns the system to a usable state, however, once I allow the service to resume, I'm back up at full utilization of my CPU.

The only thing I can, for certain do, to get my system back to a usable state is rebooting the physical system. Once I reboot, the system is perfect until, for no particular reason, it starts this issue up, again.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is certainly unusual...have you excluded blueiris.exe from your antivirus scans?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Well I like BI, but the number of updates are IMO excessive, sometimes more than one a day. Nobody is perfect.

memphis02

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not. I use symantec endpoint protection. I'll exclude this in its config. Unfortunately, this issue is so random, I'll probably have no way of knowing if it's fixed... LOL!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not. I use symantec endpoint protection. I'll exclude this in its config. Unfortunately, this issue is so random, I'll probably have no way of knowing if it's fixed... LOL!
Yes those are hard to find...the networking section in the help file explains that it should be excluded...are you running any other software on the system?

memphis02

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes those are hard to find...the networking section in the help file explains that it should be excluded...are you running any other software on the system?
Absolutely. This is a hyper-v server hosting 5 other VMs, Windows File Sharing, Home Automation Controller, etc. -All are fairly minimal in system resources, however; and between task manager and BI reporting, it's obvious that BI is consuming the resources as evidenced by the system returning to normalcy once the service is shut off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. This is a hyper-v server hosting 5 other VMs, Windows File Sharing, Home Automation Controller, etc. -All are fairly minimal in system resources, however; and between task manager and BI reporting, it's obvious that BI is consuming the resources as evidenced by the system returning to normalcy once the service is shut off.
I dont doubt its BI...though the issue may be related to it not playing nicely with some other software...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Despite BI being the top processor-consuming resource?
Yes, meaning something else is causing BI to act this way...its just a guess...since its random...I recall admin @Mike having an issue like this with bi3...maybe he has a solution..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I too am having a similar problem but it all appears to be with my network traffic.

BI is only using a small part of my processor for my 7 cameras, 34%, but when I run BI, I can no longer log into each of my individual cameras, they appear to be suffering from too much network traffic being flung around on my network. The moment I quit BI, I can access and control all of my cameras individually very easily, with no dropouts.

Running BI again results in again, cameras being dropped from the BI interface.

I have tried just simply disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection to see if network performance improved, but there appeared to be no change at all, cameras still would keep dropping intermittently.

I only run Win7 and BI 4.1.0.3 w32 on this machine. Nothing more.

Does anyone have any ideas? I never had this problem until recently, somewhere between the 4.0 and 4.1 updates I believe. BI 3 had been running smoothly with no issues and no networking problems for some time.

Thanks