Blue Iris PIP (Picture in Picture) on TV when motion detected...

RiverHog14

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All! 1st post... I have searched and searched on here on the simplest way to achieve something I think we all on here could benefit from: How to achieve a temporary Picture in Picture on a primary TV, through HDMI, when motion is detected, kind of like this:

I believe that the setup above is a "GW Security" DVR setup, but that is just an example of what I am looking to do utilizing Blue Iris.

The simplest solution to achieve this, in my brainstorming, would be as follows:
An HDMI TV, with a standard satellite box or XBOX or whatever is primarily used to "watch TV" at home, output into some sort of an "Automatic HDMI PIP switch" (which I have yet to be able to find online...), with some sort of a "TV box" whether it be an Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Google Chromecast stick, even a PC with a HDMI output, running either the Internet Explorer remote BI viewer, or even the Android or Apple Blue Iris app, which would also be connected to the (possibly fictitious) "Automatic HDMI PIP switch".

The trick would be setting the device running the BI app or BI IE viewer, to only output HDMI signal, when motion was detected, and to automatically set that camera view to "come live".

I know this seems very challenging, however, I think its something that if able to be accomplished, would be something that every household running BI would eventually implement into their systems....

What do yall think?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think your a decade too late; go find a TV that will do PiP from another HDMI Input..

Ive been unable to find such a television set, leme know if you find one.. PiP is basically is dead.

RiverHog14

n3wb
Reaction score
Well there are many HDMI "switches" which allow for several HDMI inputs, and some of them offer the ability to produce one or more inputs PIP over another input. The trick would be finding or configuring a device to produce a PIP image automatically when video was detected, and to take away the PIP once video signal was stopped. And then of course configuring whatever devvice you are utilizing to send BI data to the switch do "start" and "end" HDMI signal...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, TinyCamPro on AndroidTV 7 has PiP.. as long as your using the AndroidTV, if im on the Playstation not gonna happen.. Ive requested that he add support for an external API call to force it displayed and turn it off, dont know if its possible as it would rely on AndoidTV's PIP to be activated by a background app and not the foreground.

Ive seen such devices that can mux multiple video sources into a single output; they are generally exceptionally cost prohibitive and I doubt you'll find one that supports 4k TV that people are slowly adopting.

RiverHog14

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea I saw that as well, Skreen's may have the option for automatic PIP, but once its actually developed it seems like it may have a hefty pricetag! I just want something simple, automatic, that just works!

Has anyone else had any luck launching Blue Iris Automatic PIP on their primary TV?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well there are many HDMI "switches" which allow for several HDMI inputs, and some of them offer the ability to produce one or more inputs PIP over another input. The trick would be finding or configuring a device to produce a PIP image automatically when video was detected, and to take away the PIP once video signal was stopped. And then of course configuring whatever devvice you are utilizing to send BI data to the switch do "start" and "end" HDMI signal...
The exact video you posted above was discussed here in the last 6 months.

HDMI switches with PIP functionality are a relatively new thing to show up and most don't work as you'd like. Quality reviews are sparse, but on some of these when you activate PIP all you get is a freeze frame of that input at the moment you activated PIP.

Doing it all in software on an HTPC or Android TV would be the easiest and cheapest option but isn't without challenges. You can automate switching inputs on your TV if you want.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mayhym

n3wb
Reaction score
You should search for an HDMI multiviewer but this is a great idea. I'm just starting to put together my system but I will definitely incorporate something like this.

Amazon.com: hdmi multiviewer: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could perhaps accomplish this by feeding your video sources through a PC. Connect a PC to the TV, and find a low-latency HDMI capture device for the PC. Emphasis on the low latency, because it sucks controlling any device with display lag. This would give you the power to overlay anything your PC can display, at any time, on the TV screen. The main challenge then is finding (or writing) software that will overlay a camera when motion is detected, and stay invisible otherwise.

In addition to the HDMI capture device, you may need an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP. Or you may not. It depends on the capture device and software used, I'm sure.

Obviously, you'd have to use an external HDMI switch instead of relying on the multiple inputs built-in to your TV. If you already have a home theater receiver (ideally one capable of delaying audio for audio sync purposes) then that should be no problem.