Blue Iris - Random Network Issues with Cameras low FPS

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
HI All,

I need a little advice here. I posted about this problem before here in the forum but it seems like its getting worst. I have a PC upstairs that runs BI and i can access it with my smart phone. The router upstairs which is an AC1900 Netgear Router is hooked up to a POE switch in my garage (Netgear 4 port and 8 port) via powerline adapters. When I run BI, 2 of the cameras will be OK but the other 3 will have networking issues or timing out. The frames will go from 30 fps all the way to 0 and then time out and then the signal will go back up and it repeats this problem. All 3 of the cameras are getting ip addresses and 2 of them will not stream at all or no feed. They are just timed out but have an IP address. To isolate problem I have restarted both POE switches in the garage and that didn't fix the problem. I have 1-Huisun mini 10x PTZ camera and that seems to not have a problem, 3-3MP Hikvision cameras, and 1-AutoIP Camera GV-201VA. I doubt its a power issue because the POE switches I have are rugged.

To isolate problem even more, I took out the middleman which is the powerline adapters. They are 2 GB powerline adapters and made a physical connection between the POE switch and my router upstairs using RJ45 ethernet cable. Sadly this didn't fix the problem either. Do you guys think it might be my router that's causing this problem? Maybe some setting issue in my router or maybe the router just needs to be upgraded? Your help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
My nvr is my pc running BI and connected directly to router

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My nvr is my pc running BI and connected directly to router

Trying running the BI PC directly to the switch with the cameras. If there is an issue with the router itself, the cameras will still record to the PC if they are on the same switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
If i run it directly to the switch then i lose remote camera viewing on my cell phone. Also i might lose dhcp assignment from ac1900 router. See screenshot

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That makes no sense, u shouldn't lose either of those by running the PC to the switch instead of the router. They all maintain the same IP address as long as they are still connected to the same router.

If u don't wanna run another cable, try increasing the buffers for the cameras to 20mb. I've seen that suggested here and it has helped some.

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
I only have 1 set of powerline adapters. I use that to connect the main poe switch to the router. If i use that to link the pc directly to the switch, then there wont be a connection for dhcp that router assigns to switch. Im not a network guru i can only validate my hands on with trial and error. Maybe u know more than me.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U said u took the Powerline adapters out and wired them with an Ethernet cable. I'm saying run another cable from the PC to the switch. That will allow the cameras to record directly to the PC without all that traffic having to go thru the router. That way if the router is having an issue, the camera bandwidth will still record directly to the PC. At least it should unless the issue lies somewhere else. Some people on here have used the paper line adapters with no issue. Others have had problems so I cant really say what group you are in. If u took them out completely and it's still happening, I'd imagine it's the router or the switch. With my suggestion, I'd the cameras can bypass the router directly and still record to the BI PC, you'll know it's a router issue. If it doesn't world you'll know it could be a switch issue.

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a straight ethernet connection from my pc to the switch running cable from stairs to garage. The problem is still there. I noticed something. The poe max led green light is not on in the switch. Could that mean its going bad

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be. I remember someone a few weeks ago had an issue with a bad NetGear PoE switch and I believe it was a 8 port too. How old is the switch?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did U try setting the buffer to 20mb? I dunno if it would help. It's weird that the frame rate would automatically drop tho, I don't know if I faulty switch would cause that, I've only read about fault switched losing connection completely at various times. I'm not saying it didn't cause their frame rates to drop first and then disconnect like your experiencing, I just don't recall reading about that happening first

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
Theres no buffer setting in each camera when i log into their interface. 3 of them i cant even log into because they keep losing connection/no ping response

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's in BI. Go into each cameras properties. Under the video tab, click configure. In that new box it'll be halfway down on the right hand side. By default it's set to 3 I believe.

SVDTiger

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem cameras i cant even log into them individually cause they keep timing out. They receive an ip address and then drop out. So when im in the web interface of these cameras they time out quick. I doubt its the buffer. It is either the router or switch. I suspect more its the router. Even wifi connections for my wireless cameras also drop out at times