Blue Iris randomly 100%cpu usage then down to 30%

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, been running blue iris for a few months on a new build. Everything has been going great up until about 2 weeks ago. We view it all the time thru the web UI. Lately they came to me and said that it the web ui has randomly been freezing. Which I just told them to reboot that computer and keep pushing.. I didn’t think it was the blue iris machine with the problem because the CPU usage has always been 30%. The problem persisted so I just rebooted the blue iris machine without thinking about it.
Now today, I’ve just actually sat and noticed and my blue iris computer CPU usage is all over the place. One minute is at 100%. Then it’ll drop to 33% for a few minutes or even for hours. Then climb back to 100% for either hours.. theirs just no rhyme or reason to why it’s doing this.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
windows 10 updated. This changed some of the drivers. Check that you are using the correct driver.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use AMD cpu at the moment, so I have no driver problems. The problems are on Intel quicksync drivers. See the wiki about drivers

Also search about drivers. It is my understanding that each cpu generation uses a different driver
Also it may be possible to just roll back the driver

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use AMD cpu at the moment, so I have no driver problems. The problems are on Intel quicksync drivers. See the wiki about drivers

Also search about drivers. It is my understanding that each cpu generation uses a different driver
Also it may be possible to just roll back the driver
Hmmmmmm. Thanks for the tips. Will roll back and see what happens. That’s exactly the problem I have with the cpu slowly climbing

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One problem I’ve noticed is that I’m running a 9th gen. Theirs no drivers listed for 9th generation

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, been running blue iris for a few months on a new build. Everything has been going great up until about 2 weeks ago. We view it all the time thru the web UI. Lately they came to me and said that it the web ui has randomly been freezing. Which I just told them to reboot that computer and keep pushing.. I didn’t think it was the blue iris machine with the problem because the CPU usage has always been 30%. The problem persisted so I just rebooted the blue iris machine without thinking about it.
Now today, I’ve just actually sat and noticed and my blue iris computer CPU usage is all over the place. One minute is at 100%. Then it’ll drop to 33% for a few minutes or even for hours. Then climb back to 100% for either hours.. theirs just no rhyme or reason to why it’s doing this.
What is the load on the pc? If you are using limit decoding to reduce cpu then the consumption will jump to 100 percent when you use ui3 unless you disable the decoding.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the load on the pc? If you are using limit decoding to reduce cpu then the consumption will jump to 100 percent when you use ui3 unless you disable the decoding.
Ui3 is running 24/7, so that isn’t the issue... I sometimes get as low as 14%, but on average i was hovering around 28-33%.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
What else is running on that computer? Is it dedicated to BI?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried running perfmon at given intervals logging the CPU usage to see what it taking up cycles?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not.. honestly have no idea what that is. But I’ll figure it out
Check out this video - I reviewed it quickly but I think it does a decent job of explaining how to capture performance data and review it later. You should add CPU counters as well as process and memory counters. Under normal use, this data will give a baseline of your system's performance and when it starts to misbehave, you can stop the collection and review the data and see what is running away with the CPU.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
update: luckily I had a windows restore point. I rolled back to last month when I knew for a fact everything was running smooth. Disabled windows driver updates and paused windows updates for about a week as well. It also restored my blue iris software back to version 5.0.4.5.. Going to give that a go for a while and just see how it runs over the weekend. Theirs a lot of triggers etc over the weekend as its the businesses busiest time.

35 cameras currently and we are running at about 1200 MP/s.
i9-9900k. After the restore and 17 cameras recording (Because not all the cameras record 24/7 and its 2am here) with the console running (showing all cameras at the same time). My comp is at 34% and is hovering at around 22% with the console not running.