Blue Iris randomly stops recording in the middle of a clip in continuous mode

warhead

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm running BI4 with 13 Hikvision 3MP cameras, all set to continuous direct to disk recording. Server load hovers around 50% with 1 remote viewer while all cameras are recording.
Cut and combine is set to 1hr or 4gb. I usually get 1-1.3gb files per hour per camera. What I've found is that an random times, on random cameras, BI stops recording mid clip.
BI syncs the record start time to the hour so I get clips from 7am to 8am, 8am to 9am, etc. But nearly all the cameras will have gaps at different times of the day.
Eg. There's a recording for 7am to 7:14am, and then another recording from 8am to 9pm.

There's plenty of disk space available and BI hasn't done any moving of video between drives. New videos are recorded to an internal 4TB 7200RPM disk, older videos are set to archive to a separate internal 4TB 7200RPM disk which hasn't been used yet.
Video resolution is majority 2mpx @ 12FPS and 3k CBR. The recorded clips do playback fine, both the normal 1hr ones and the shorter ones.

Any help would be much appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@warhead, welcome to the forum...is it possible that you have the schedule set and the profiles are switching?

Last edited by a moderator:

warhead

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no schedule set, all cameras simply record 24/7 and files should be split by 1hr/4GB files.
Even if there was a schedule, it wouldn't explain the randomness in which cameras have stopped recording partway through a clip.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no schedule set, all cameras simply record 24/7 and files should be split by 1hr/4GB files.
Even if there was a schedule, it wouldn't explain the randomness in which cameras have stopped recording partway through a clip.
I would email support.

Nightish

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed something similar with the newest update. This morning I had a recording from 4 - 5 AM and 5 - 5:16 AM. It then stopped and resumed at 7:00 AM. I am not running as many cameras as you but I have the same issue on continuous mode.

warhead

n3wb
Reaction score
Check the log. Blue Iris may be crashing and restarting itself, and this would be evident in the log file.
If Blue Iris did crash at say 5:16am and restarted, why does it not start recording again until 6am? Plus restarting doesn't explain the strange behaviour with the time codes on the video.

I've had a more indepth look into what's going on and have since installed the blue iris watchdog to monitor BI and CPU usage. Everything seems normal here, CPU load never sustains 100% and BI hadn't restarted itself.
I've found BI records fine for a few hours usually after you start it then all of a sudden it randomly starts recording clips with different time stamps. Eg a clip that stops at 5:16am plays back correctly between 5:00-5:16am but the 6am-7am clip is actually video from a different time, eg it might be a recording from the camera at 10:47pm.
I checked the actual recorded files on the drives and the file names reflect the wrong times as well so it's not just a hiccup in the database. I've reset and cleared the clip archive and database several times and this doesn't fix the problem.
I've checked that the PC has the correct time and is synced via NTP and all settings are correct.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Do you have the BI camera watchdog enabled on cameras (camera properties/watchdog/detect loss of signal AND restart camera)? I've found that if the watchdog triggers a restart, the clip will split. It wouldn't account for why it doesn't immediately being recording again, but it is a cause for interrupted recording.

The other thought would be if you're running low on RAM, maybe it's restarting cameras randomly to purge some of the used resources. Anytime you restart the service, or the application (if you're not running as a service) or rebuild/regenerate/compact the database, the recordings will also stop and reset. But even there, they should start right back up again.