Blue Iris Remote Login Problems

Reaction score
Hi - hoping someone can help - when I login to the server using LAN, everything works fine, however when I try using WAN, the login page just keeps saying "Redirecting" then takes me back to the login page. Any ideas?
I have tried shutting down BI and computer. Using the Wizard, it says the port is open.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi - hoping someone can help - when I login to the server using LAN, everything works fine, however when I try using WAN, the login page just keeps saying "Redirecting" then takes me back to the login page. Any ideas?
I have tried shutting down BI and computer. Using the Wizard, it says the port is open.
  • Is this when trying remote on a smartphone or PC?
  • If on phone, is it when using the BI app or accessing BI's UI3 on a browser ?

CTee

n3wb
Reaction score
I still didnt sort this - its isolated to chrome on my Samsung galaxy s10+ via WAN (lan is fine) , on my tab samsung S6 and iphone 8 it works perfectly on WAN via chrome. I just setup a shortcut in samsungs "internet" browser app and it works fine in there

I really have no explanation as to why it keeps redirecting

Reaction score
I'm experiencing this same issue using Chrome, Firefox (on a PC) and the BI Android app. Currently running Blue Iris Release 5.0.4.4 x64 and I'm able to log into the web UI (as well as Blue Iris Android app 5.0.4.4) just fine on and off my LAN. However, when OFF my LAN and trying to switch between cameras I get this in the web UI:

Code:
ui3.js?v=92-5.0.4.4:18203 error toast: An error occurred loading the camera list.<br>Response: 0 error<br>Status: error<br>Error: <br>URL: json
json:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_5.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_4.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_6.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_7.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_8.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_9.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_10.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_11.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_12.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
ui3.js?v=92-5.0.4.4:18299 Response: 0 error
Error:
URL: json
ui3.js?v=92-5.0.4.4:18203 error toast: An error occurred loading the camera list.<br>Response: 0 error<br>Status: error<br>Error: <br>URL: json
json:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_13.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_14.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_15.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_16.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
preset_17.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_18.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_19.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
preset_20.jpg:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
When ON my LAN everything works fine. I also want to add that I'm using the same URL and port number for both internal and external access.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. The error code of 0 usually means a connection could not be established. That happens when network conditions are very poor.

If it happens only when switching cameras, that would be unusual. Maybe caused by all the attempts to load ptz preset thumbnails.

Reaction score
Hi. The error code of 0 usually means a connection could not be established. That happens when network conditions are very poor.

If it happens only when switching cameras, that would be unusual. Maybe caused by all the attempts to load ptz preset thumbnails.
Thanks for the reply! This happens on different WAN connections (e.g. cellular, various public WiFi's) it only does not happen if I'm on my LAN. I can even switch video streams on the BI Android app over cellular with no problems if I first connect to my OpenVPN. It's something about a straight WAN connection that BI does not like. I do not use OpenVPN bc it's an extra step so I setup Stunnel on pfSense but even bypassing Stunnel I still experience the same issues. This previously worked for several years without issues.

I do not have any PTZ cameras so is there a way to disable that entirely? Also, is there a way to view BI web server logs to see what's going on?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using any kind of proxy server for WAN access? Nginx, stunnel, etc?

I do not have any PTZ cameras so is there a way to disable that entirely?
In Blue Iris camera properties, there is the PTZ/Control tab, where you can disable PTZ for cameras that don't have it. That will keep UI3 from trying and failing to load preset thumbnails. Although I doubt it will make a difference to your problem, because you say it affects the BI android app too, and as far as I know only UI3 loads preset thumbnails.

Also, is there a way to view BI web server logs to see what's going on?
I don't think BI can keep detailed web server logs.

Reaction score
Are you using any kind of proxy server for WAN access? Nginx, stunnel, etc?
I am using the Stunnel (5.50) pfSense package but as a test I changed the port forward to bypass Stunnel but experienced the same issues.

In Blue Iris camera properties, there is the PTZ/Control tab, where you can disable PTZ for cameras that don't have it. That will keep UI3 from trying and failing to load preset thumbnails. Although I doubt it will make a difference to your problem, because you say it affects the BI android app too, and as far as I know only UI3 loads preset thumbnails.
Thank you! Disabling the PTZ/Control on every one of my cameras fixed this issue, at least when using the web UI. However, I still experience the disconnect issue when using the BI Android app (both web UI and Android app connections are set back to Stunnel using the same URL and port). Since the web UI works now I doubt this issue has anything to do with my connection.

I don't think BI can keep detailed web server logs.
Are there any log files at all for either the app or BI itself that would indicate why I always get disconnected?

RS1969

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's the same problem, one day no connection. Not via iOS, not via Lan or Wlan. Backup restored. Don't know what it is but know that BLUE Iris is not stable security software. This has happened a few times now, but no connection at all.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the same problem, one day no connection. Not via iOS, not via Lan or Wlan. Backup restored. Don't know what it is but know that BLUE Iris is not stable security software. This has happened a few times now, but no connection at all.
This sounds completely different than the issue in this thread. You may want to start a separate thread for yourself and include all the appropriate information about your setup that the folks here will end up asking you about.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No you dont know. What we do know is that your are incompetent and unable to diagnose your problem and therefore blame blue iris. Its likely your firewall or you ip address changing . We also know that you like to jump to conclusions without doing proper testing. If the problem was blue iris everyone here would have that same issue.
I do suggest you move to another recording solution. Let us know what you choose and how that works out.