Blue Iris server build

Reaction score
So currently I'm running Blue Iris on my gaming PC. I'm only using 1 1080P camera for monitoring my driveway. Currently I'm using around 6 percent of my CPU usage. In the next month or so I plan on adding another 4 or 5 1080P cameras. My current PC can handle that many, but it's going to raise my CPU usage to the point where I will have to shut down Blue Iris when I want to play a game. Which I don't want to do. I want to keep BI running 24/7. So I decided to spec out a dedicated BI computer vs the cost of purchasing a NVR. Here's the current build that I have. Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of it. I went with the older generation CPU's to save some money.

hahler2 - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible idea...
Go to ebay or dell outlet...buy an i5-6500 with room for a 3.5 drive for 300. Take $331 and spend it on anything you want.

Reaction score
Cheapest i5 I can find on Dell is 629.

*edit*

Never mind I see one for 479. Only 8 gig of RAM though. Is that enough?

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got a hp g1 sff with an i7 12 gigs of memory, and decent hard drive for 380 shipped on ebay... between eBay and Craigslist there were plenty of choices for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a hp g1 sff with an i7 12 gigs of memory, and decent hard drive for 380 shipped on ebay... between eBay and Craigslist there were plenty of choices for me.
i7 is a meaningless term...the is a HUGE difference between models...

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i7 is a meaningless term...the is a HUGE difference between models...
I know.... it's a newer generation, I just don't know it off the top of my head and I'm replying on my cell. Just trying to say they are out there for a reasonable price and where I searched for mine. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know.... it's a newer generation, I just don't know it off the top of my head and I'm replying on my cell. Just trying to say they are out there for a reasonable price and where I searched for mine. :)
got it...yes there are lots of options as you say..