Blue Iris - Server OS

usafltg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last I checked, Blue Iris only support windows. I have it running on a dedicated laptop which has Windows 11 on it at the moment . The only thing the laptop is used for is for blue iris. Is there a dumbed down windows server or something else I can use OS wise that isn't so background processor intensive or has a bumch of backend processes running all the time? Windows 11 keeps bombing out on me after so long. It's an older laptop and older generation i7 vpro processor. 4 cameras. I just don't like the idea of an operating system that has all kinds of other crap on it that's not needed.

Any suggestions?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Last I checked, Blue Iris only support windows. I have it running on a dedicated laptop which has Windows 11 on it at the moment . The only thing the laptop is used for is for blue iris. Is there a dumbed down windows server or something else I can use OS wise that isn't so background processor intensive or has a bumch of backend processes running all the time? Windows 11 keeps bombing out on me after so long. It's an older laptop and older generation i7 vpro processor. 4 cameras. I just don't like the idea of an operating system that has all kinds of other crap on it that's not needed.

Any suggestions?
You are overthinking this. A clean install of windows with ms media creation tool will not have significant background processes that would affect performance on a BI machine. Certainly nothing worth the cost of paying for a server OS (which brings its own issues running BI).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There are also loads of articles online on how to stop/disable services and tasks which you may not require in order to streamline Windows.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
apart from the license costs, there is no big difference it you install the "desktop experience" on windows server => Server Core vs Server with Desktop Experience install options

A setup without the desktop experience is possible, but i would only recommend it in a bigger environment with multiple virtual BI instances. Be be aware that some solutions like Aitool, TelegramUpload, CP Ai,... are not fully supported on the server os. Like on the TelegramUpload Tool you need to know how to get .net 4.8 running since the standard microsoft installer will fail on a server OS. Some "desktop" hardware will also not work without some tinkering (e.g. some intel or broadcom desktop nic´s).