Blue Iris Service starting and stopping over and over...can't open program

Reaction score
Hi, I was making some changes to my system because I had one camera that wouldn't allow more than .4 mb resolution on the main stream. In the process...I was also reading some forums on making some changes to reduce the load on my cpu. Somewhere along the line BI just crashed and now I can't start it back up. If I go to services, the BI service is starting, then stopping, then starting and stopping continuously. If I go to UI3, I can see some of my cameras for a split second and then the browser gets errors and refreshes and does the same thing. I've tried booting into safemode and starting blue-iris...but it tells me that it can't start the BI service in safemode. I went to event viewer and I get a fault saying:
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.3.9.15, time stamp: 0x6050eb44
Faulting module name: mfxplugin64_hw.dll, version: 3.11.5.20, time stamp: 0x55688af7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000032a29
Faulting process id: 0x2480
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73f5228ba6cf6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK\mfxplugin64_hw.dll
Report Id: 2743e946-7ec8-47c9-9642-0ddb596d9e18
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

So maybe my problem is that I enabled hardware decoding for something that my CPU doesn't support? If that's the case, how to I get back in to BI to fix it? Or that the minimum, create a back up so I don't lose my settings and have to start over? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What CPU are you running ?
Are your cameras using h.265 ?

What is make and model of camera that is giving you problems ?

Reaction score
Have you tried disabling the service in windows and then launching the BI app to see what happens?
Yes, I disabled the service and then when I try to start BI, I get a "service failed to start" error. I don't know if once you have enabled BI as a windows service...if the service has to be running in order for BI to start...

Reaction score
What CPU are you running ?
Are your cameras using h.265 ?

What is make and model of camera that is giving you problems ?
CPU is an i5 3570k 3.4 GHz...I can't recall the generation, but it's definitely older.

Most of my cameras are Hikvision, however, the camera in particular that I suspect is the problem is a Hikvision clone. I was following a guide to reduce CPU load, and don't recall what step I was on...but as soon as I hit "apply", BI crashed and won't start back up. I was hoping that there was some sort of "safe mode" within BI, that would allow me to undo the change that I made. It's crazy to me that I can make a change that will cause the program to change, but I don't have the ability to get back in to "fix" the incorrect option I selected. I've spent years tweaking the settings and should have pulled a backup along the way (I do have one but it's 1.5 years old, and I've added several cameras since then and the IP addresses changed). In any case, any input is greatly appreciated.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got myself into a loop like that a few months ago.

While investigating why my CPU was running 20-30% higher than normal, I noticed that the BI option for Hardware Decode had changed to "NO" on all of my cameras. WTH? Without thinking, I went through and re-enabled Hardware Decode on all of my cameras, which put BI into that crash loop. One of my cameras is a "Screen capture" device that I have setup to record weather stats... it's not an actual camera and it should never have HA enabled.

To get BI out of this crash loop, I temporarily disabled the GPU on my system, which allowed BI to start up OK. I then went in BI and turned off Hardware Decode on that one camera, re-enabled the GPU, restarted BI and all has been well since (knock on wood).

To disable/re-enable the GPU, I went into Window's Device Manager, opened the Display Adapters section, right-clicked on the Intel HD Graphics 4000 option and clicked Disable (or Enable).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got myself into a loop like that a few months ago.

While investigating why my CPU was running 20-30% I noticed that the BI option for Hardware Decode became set to "NO" on all of my cameras. WTH? Without thinking I went through and re-enabled Hardware Decode on all of my cameras, which ended up causing BI to crash because one the cameras is a "Screen capture" device that I have setup to record weather stats -- it's not an actual hardware camera and it shouldn't have HA enabled.

To get out of this BI crashing when booting up loop, I temporarily disabled the GPU on my system, which allowed BI to start up OK. I turned off Hardware Decode on the one camera where it shouldn't have been enabled, re-enabled the GPU, restarted BI and all has been well since (knock on wood).

To disable/re-enable the GPU, I went into Window's Device Manager, opened the Display Adapters section, right-clicked on the Intel HD Graphics 4000 option and clicked Disable (or Enable).
@aristobrat You are a freakin' lifesaver man! I owe you a beer. It was exactly as you said, and it appears to be back to normal. I have other questions about my system, but I won't clutter this thread just in case it helps someone else. Thank you much my man!