Blue Iris settings issue

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
team

A 1GB folder of the new on the C drive is not the way to go. 1 GB will be about 1 hour of recording for a few cameras.

On one of the screen shots the new folder is being moved to new, this is 100% WRONG. You will cause problems with your system doing this.

The comment Important! Database and New should remain on Local/Fast storage was written before SSD existed in the consumer market. The new folder should not be on an SSD, you will kill the SSD.

The first question is what is your hardware setup.
Memory
CPU
disk drives, sizes, types.
==============================================
Use the correct folder names for your folders, do not change the names, just the drive letters. MY second drive is full dictated to BI, which is E:
c:\BlueIris\db
E:\BlueIris\New
E:\BlueIris\Stored
E:\BlueIris\Alerts
=====================

View attachment 118270View attachment 118271View attachment 118272View attachment 118273View attachment 118274
Excellent post by the way. Should be in the BI pdf help manual/wiki. So here is my hardware, trying to follow along. Didn't know about not using SSD's thought it would be better.

C drive, Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Thermalright M.2 Heatsink cooler
E drive (dedicated BI drive): Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Sabrent M.2 2280 Heatsink
F drive is old 4TB lorex nvr HD. Have a 10tb wd that i am going to change it out with.

If I follow along, don't know what to do with the F drive. This is where I should have the long-term storage/alerts so I could look back at something a few weeks ago if I needed?
Can you please give me a recommended set up for my drive arrangement?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent post by the way. Should be in the BI pdf help manual/wiki. So here is my hardware, trying to follow along. Didn't know about not using SSD's thought it would be better.

C drive, Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Thermalright M.2 Heatsink cooler
E drive (dedicated BI drive): Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2, Sabrent M.2 2280 Heatsink
F drive is old 4TB lorex nvr HD. Have a 10tb wd that i am going to change it out with.

If I follow along, don't know what to do with the F drive. This is where I should have the long-term storage/alerts so I could look back at something a few weeks ago if I needed?
Can you please give me a recommended set up for my drive arrangement?

You have two options since you have two SSD drives.

Obviously BI, the DB, and Windows should be on the C drive.

The E drive being an SSD will probably wear out faster than an HDD designed for surveillance, but you have what you have.

So your two options with what you have are as follows:
  1. Use the E drive for NEW and based on storage space have BI move the oldest NEW onto the F drive for longer retainage
  2. Use the E drive and F drive as NEW and do not move files around. Split your cameras over both drives so that when one drive poops out, you do not lose all your cameras. In this case you would want to split the cameras to give you coverage - for example, do not put all the front yard on one drive and the back yard on another. Say you have 8 cameras and 4 are the front and 4 are the back, then split it 2 from front and back on each drive.
While having a ton of storage is good, the reality of it is unless it was something catastrophic (which you would have known about sooner anyway), most are not going to start scrubbing video for something that may have happened a few weeks ago.

By spending time to dial in the alerts and a frequent peek at what is going on, you would have noticed something around your property within days. I literally every morning in under 30 seconds can scrub what happened the night before and see if anything happened I need to look at further

If a neighbor comes up to me and says "sometime around 2 weeks ago someone backed into my car, can you see if you caught it?" You will find that even with the best scrubbing this is a monumental task. Unless they can narrow down the day/time window, most of us are not going to scour it.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The E drive being an SSD will probably wear out faster than an HDD designed for surveillance, but you have what you have.

1. Use the E drive for NEW and based on storage space have BI move the oldest NEW onto the F drive for longer retainage
  2. Use the E drive and F drive as NEW and do not move files around. Split your cameras over both drives so that when one drive poops out, you do not lose all your cameras. In this case you would want to split the cameras to give you coverage - for example, do not put all the front yard on one drive and the back yard on another. Say you have 8 cameras and 4 are the front and 4 are the back, then split it 2 from front and back on each drive.
While having a ton of storage is good, the reality of it is unless it was something catastrophic (which you would have known about sooner anyway), most are not going to start scrubbing video for something that may have happened a few weeks ago.

By spending time to dial in the alerts and a frequent peek at what is going on, you would have noticed something around your property within days. I literally every morning in under 30 seconds can scrub what happened the night before and see if anything happened I need to look at further

If a neighbor comes up to me and says "sometime around 2 weeks ago someone backed into my car, can you see if you caught it?" You will find that even with the best scrubbing this is a monumental task. Unless they can narrow down the day/time window, most of us are not going to scour it.
So part of my issue was I didn't have my folders set under BI folder in the E drive like SouthernYankee described. I set it up that way now, now I guess I need to delete the other folders not in BI (Alerts, db, New)?

foldersCapture.PNG

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

BI in my C drive looks like it hasn't changed since I first loaded it in Nov 2021?

C drive.PNGC, BlueIris.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The folder date is probably when you installed it. Those .dat files are from DeepStack and you may have been playing and turned the .dat feature off. It would be the files in the DB folder that would show recent.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is what I'm getting after I changed my folders.Clips and  archiving 1.PNGClips and archiving 2.PNGClips and archiving 3.PNGClip storage status.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have overallocated by a lot.

According to this, your F drive is 3TB not 4TB

Alerts are tiny - I have mine set to 1GB and it goes back months. That isn't what you should be moving.

If you are going to use the NEW and STORED, then you set up NEW to move video based on storage and the STORED drive is just video. The alerts can stay where they are.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have overallocated by a lot.

According to this, your F drive is 3TB not 4TB

Alerts are tiny - I have mine set to 1GB and it goes back months. That isn't what you should be moving.

If you are going to use the NEW and STORED, then you set up NEW to move video based on storage and the STORED drive is just video. The alerts can stay where they are.
k, I changed ALERTS to 1GB. Til I can change my F drive out to the 10TB I need to set the NEW to move to the F drive at under 3TB? Should I be moving ALERTS to the F drive? What do you recommend for the NEW and STORDED?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1 GB Alerts
830GB NEW - move to STORED based on storage filling up
2300 GB STORED

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1 GB Alerts
830GB NEW - move to STORED based on storage filling up
2300 GB STORED
Deleting some old files in the F drive helped it, but I don't know what to delete in the E drive.

New Clips storage 2.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is other junk on that drive.

Unless you really need old video, I would suggest shutting down BI, deleting everything off of E and F drive, delete the DB folder and then restart BI

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is other junk on that drive.

Unless you really need old video, I would suggest shutting down BI, deleting everything off of E and F drive, delete the DB folder and then restart BI
Sorry, not real computer savvy. Delete everything in here?E drive.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like you have installed BI on both the E and the C drive?

Looks like BI is running from this drive.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

See, I knew there's been something wrong since my nephew built my computer and set up the BI drives and folders!! :facepalm::clap:
I know you and sab seen me all over this forum trying to get this thing straight.
Finally, a breakthrough. :headbang:

Well, did delete some old BI recordings:
New Clips storage 3.PNG

Now, Mr. wittaj... what do I do about BI being on my C and E drive? I thought I followed where BI was supposed to be on your C drive, then you create a security drive and have ALERT, NEW, and STORED in that drive (E for me). Then I remember my nephew copied everything out of a folder (don't know which one) in the C drive to the E drive.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Here's my C drive, looks like the new folder was from the original install in Nov.
C drive 1.PNGC drive 2.PNGC drive 3.PNGC drive 4.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But where is the BI exe file? When you click on the icon on the main screen - is it pointing to the C or E drive?