Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I setup my Blue Iris Rig using the below, which I understand is overkill:

i7-7700
16GB Ram
Win 10 Pro
250GB SSD
4TB WD Purple HD

There's no video card installed, 550w Gold power supply, etc. All in a microATX case.

I'm running 6 5231R ZE's, all at 15 frames a second. Direct to disk, all that. It shows that I running between 17-19% CPU. I've all the optimizations so far that are listed here, so is that about right?

From having a killowatt on my BI PC, it shows it's pulling 30 watts, which translates to me spending about $24 in electricity to just run the BI PC. That doesn't seem too bad. All of the cameras are running to a rack that I have a POE switch mounted in, so I'm not sure what that's pulling just yet.

So, 30 watts on the BI-PC, with 6 cameras running around 18ish% CPU. Sound good?

Anything else I should check?

I HAVE NOT done:

Limit decoding unless required

.......should I check into that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I setup my Blue Iris Rig using the below, which I understand is overkill:

i7-7700
16GB Ram
Win 10 Pro
250GB SSD
4TB WD Purple HD

There's no video card installed, 550w Gold power supply, etc. All in a microATX case.

I'm running 6 5231R ZE's, all at 15 frames a second. Direct to disk, all that. It shows that I running between 17-19% CPU. I've all the optimizations so far that are listed here, so is that about right?

From having a killowatt on my BI PC, it shows it's pulling 30 watts, which translates to me spending about $24 in electricity to just run the BI PC. That doesn't seem too bad. All of the cameras are running to a rack that I have a POE switch mounted in, so I'm not sure what that's pulling just yet.

So, 30 watts on the BI-PC, with 6 cameras running around 18ish% CPU. Sound good?

Anything else I should check?

I HAVE NOT done:

Limit decoding unless required

.......should I check into that?
Dont use limit decoding.
Your cpu consumption is high for your processor and load. Though 30w is low so its not a big deal. Have you enabled hardware acceleration? did you enter the license key? are you viewing on a local monitor or using a remote desktop like teamviewer?

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dont use limit decoding.
Your cpu consumption is high for your processor and load. Though 30w is low so its not a big deal. Have you enabled hardware acceleration? did you enter the license key? are you viewing on a local monitor or using a remote desktop like teamviewer?
I’ve enabled HW acceleration in BI, not sure if I need to do it somewhere else as well.

I have entered the license key.

I am viewing the cameras on a local monitor, but keep BI minimized. Is there a better way? If there is a better way to do it, how? And why?

One thing I forgot to mention, when BI says my CPU is 17-19%, Windows Task Manager itself is reporting 7-8%. Which is right and why would that be?

School me. :)

Last edited:

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dont use limit decoding.
You there?

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
What other processes are using the cpu? 30w is pretty good for a custom built pc.

Do you have overlays enabled? What about camera fps reported in BI? I had a problem setting i-fames too high and this was causing the max fps in BI to go way over the 15fps max and increasing cpu load. Setting i-frame on the cameras same as fps fixed it.

EmptyWallet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What other processes are using the cpu? 30w is pretty good for a custom built pc.

Do you have overlays enabled? What about camera fps reported in BI? I had a problem setting i-fames too high and this was causing the max fps in BI to go way over the 15fps max and increasing cpu load. Setting i-frame on the cameras same as fps fixed it.
Blue Iris reports 15 FPS, which I set in Blue Iris and the cameras themselves. No overlays. I’m confused on why Blue Iris reports CPU at around 17-19 and Windows Task Manager reports it as 6-9.