Blue Iris - Switch from record on motion to record 24/7?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
My current setup has 8 x 1080P Cameras at 15fps, and I only record on motion

This has worked quite well, and it allows me to sync the clips to a remote site pretty much instantly since they are very short and are not being used after the clip is done recording. This means someone could come into my house, grab my NVR PC and my NAS and I would still have the clips of them doing that

But, there has been a few situations where the clip ends too soon, or the sensitivity was not high enough to catch something. So I am thinking of switching the cameras to record 24/7

Storage isn't much of an issue, but it would mean that I can't really sync the clips that easy. If I am recording in large single recordings, it could only be uploaded after the clip is done recording

What length clips do you guys use for 24/7 recording? If I did 5 min clips then at least I would have the one from 5 minutes ago

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you export just an alerts worth of a clip? I often export clips and I don't want to have to export an entire hour footage

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can set up clone cameras to do different processing. With a clone camera the video is download only once from the camera, and can have two completely different processing methods.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use clone cameras to write the video to two different devices. One a local internal hard drive and the other to a NAS. I did not see a significant increase in CPU.

If the recording 24/7 stream is not doing motion detection, then it uses very little cpu.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I just set it up, this seems like a real winner! This way I can have my clips syncing as normal but if I think it missed something i can just go and unhide the camera and pull through the clips. Ill probably find some super cheap nonredundant storage to do this on. Perhaps something like an 8TB external drive (My NVR only takes a single 2.5" disk, and its being used by an SSD)