Blue Iris System

Kimia

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I've been given the task of setting up a camera system in our new location, with an estimated 25 interior cameras (4 domes) and 8 exterior cameras. I'm looking for recommendations for the cameras.

I'm also looking for recommended specs for the computer itself, off the shelf or parts doesn't matter since I'm confident with assembling as need be. We will be using motion sensing for the cameras, so that could cut down on the amount of storage needed.

Any suggestions on good, stable cameras, please?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For the cameras, I strongly suggest Dahua's 2MP starlight series.

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

The two I linked here are the popular turret style. The first has a varifocal (zoomable) lens while the second is fixed-focus which makes it cheaper. The fixed-focus version doesn't do quite as well in low light due to it having a smaller lens but it is notably cheaper than the varifocal version.

You can find higher resolution cameras, often even for less money, but they do not do as well in low light and the higher resolution will raise your system requirements for Blue Iris.

For the PC, read this: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

33 cameras, assuming all 2 megapixel and 15 FPS, is a total of 990 megapixels per second. If your configuration is well-optimized you can probably run this on an i7-6700 or i7-7700, but if you decide to build a machine anyway then I suggest an i7-8700 / i7-8700K due to it having 2 more cores. I'd go with 16 GB of RAM.

Charles Odom

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The price of those 8700k processors makes me want to build another one. Down right wrong of Intel to taunt me with sub 400 prices.

I concur with the above recommendation on 2mp Dahua Starlights. Fantastic cameras. Maybe you can try out a Dahua 360 cam so I don't have to be the guinea pig. 16gig of ram would be a minimum, as I am using over 50% of 16gig on a system with less cams.