Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't know if these are the only issues, but here is what I have figured out so far:

1) Seeking past the end of the clip (via the Skip buttons) isn't supposed to restart the clip unless you have "Loop" enabled. That is a bug and I can fix it easily.

2) Seeking (skipping ahead or back is seeking too) is inaccurate if UI3 and Blue Iris disagree about how long the clip is. The bigger the disagreement, the worse it gets. Unfortunately, this turns out to happen extremely easily. When you play a clip through the web interface, Blue Iris creates a player instance in memory that knows the duration of the clip at the moment when playback started. As the clip lengthens, UI3 often learns about the new duration via automatic clip list updates. However Blue Iris's player instance does not learn about the new duration. Therefore, we get further and further out of sync for as long a the clip is recording and UI3 is hearing about it via its automatic clip list updates. We can also start out of sync if you open a clip at a time that UI3's information about the clip is stale. UI3 might think a clip is 30 minutes long but Blue Iris knows it is 60 minutes long, so you try to seek to the midway point (15 minutes in) and Blue Iris does that and says to UI3 "okay, we 25% of the way through the clip" and UI3 is like "okay, 25% of 30 minutes is 7.5 minutes" so UI3 shows the seek bar at the 25% mark and the playback clock at 7.5 minutes.

This issue has always been around, but it became a lot more noticeable after I added the "skip ahead/back 1 frame" feature. For reasons of precision, I had to change H.264 stream requests from requesting the stream by % offset to requesting the stream by millisecond offset, and this is what makes the seek bar jump to the wrong spot after you seek.

-----------

This isn't going to be easy to fix properly. The mobile apps avoid this problem by not knowing or caring how many milliseconds into a clip you are, and not knowing or caring how long the clip is. UI3 doesn't have that option... I'd have to sacrifice the playback clock and skip ahead/back functions while using the H.264 player.

I'll try to discuss this with Ken.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't know if these are the only issues, but here is what I have figured out so far:

1) Seeking past the end of the clip (via the Skip buttons) isn't supposed to restart the clip unless you have "Loop" enabled. That is a bug and I can fix it easily.

2) Seeking (skipping ahead or back is seeking too) is inaccurate if UI3 and Blue Iris disagree about how long the clip is. The bigger the disagreement, the worse it gets. Unfortunately, this turns out to happen extremely easily. When you play a clip through the web interface, Blue Iris creates a player instance in memory that knows the duration of the clip at the moment when playback started. As the clip lengthens, UI3 often learns about the new duration via automatic clip list updates. However Blue Iris's player instance does not learn about the new duration. Therefore, we get further and further out of sync for as long a the clip is recording and UI3 is hearing about it via its automatic clip list updates. We can also start out of sync if you open a clip at a time that UI3's information about the clip is stale. UI3 might think a clip is 30 minutes long but Blue Iris knows it is 60 minutes long, so you try to seek to the midway point (15 minutes in) and Blue Iris does that and says to UI3 "okay, we 25% of the way through the clip" and UI3 is like "okay, 25% of 30 minutes is 7.5 minutes" so UI3 shows the seek bar at the 25% mark and the playback clock at 7.5 minutes.

This issue has always been around, but it became a lot more noticeable after I added the "skip ahead/back 1 frame" feature. For reasons of precision, I had to change H.264 stream requests from requesting the stream by % offset to requesting the stream by millisecond offset, and this is what makes the seek bar jump to the wrong spot after you seek.

-----------

This isn't going to be easy to fix properly. The mobile apps avoid this problem by not knowing or caring how many milliseconds into a clip you are, and not knowing or caring how long the clip is. UI3 doesn't have that option... I'd have to sacrifice the playback clock and skip ahead/back functions while using the H.264 player.

I'll try to discuss this with Ken.
Damn @bp2008 . I don't know how you figure out the root cause so quickly. It hurts my brain just to read your explanation. I think I'm going to have to read it again, once my brain calms down.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Changing topic: UI3 keyboard shortcuts are just awesome. With b17, they are like on steroids.

With every clip, I feel like I am the master of time eternal.

Example: When I start an alert playback, I don't need to wait. I hit ] a couple of time to accelerate the playback speed until something interesting starts to happen. Then I hit [ to slow time back to normal. If I overshoot, I just hit the backspace, the action starts playing in reverse. It's like controlling time itself. And then, if I want to want to find the perfect frame, the` skip ahead/back 1 frame` is just rad.

All with quick touches on the keyboard. Much quicker than via mouse click.

Thanks again @bp2008 for giving me the power to control time (at least with all my recorded alerts).

2nd best thing next to owning a real Tardis.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

Have you tried the java app linked at the bottom of my UI2 thread? I think you would love the instant replay feature.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My bad, old age yet again. It was B17 and I didn't try Edge. B18 seems a heck of a lot faster to load, too. Another job well done by our Treasury Man in action! Thanks, again, Brian!

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Brian, the new UI3 b18 enlarged alert thumbnails is spot on! Thanks so much for your excellent work. I still use UI2 for my Samsung smarthub TV monitor because I can tweek the jpg resolution for best live view frame rate on this BS browser. Very happy with it. Please don't do anything in future to kill UI2. I am thinking of buying another Samsung TV, for having a large cheap monitor w/ UI2. I have monitors everywhere in house thanks to you.

dreamtech

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Are we able to get an option to ignore the "Your CPU is not fasy enough to handle this stream in realtime. Consider changing the streaming quality"

As it pops up once ever 5-10 seconds and its annoying!

Other than that i am enjoying UI3 :)

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 - Do you have a donate link or anything? Also is there a way to change the default clip download? Instead of saving/exporting a clip into the .bvr format I was hoping to export it into .mp4 or something.

Thanks!

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
@bp2008 How do we delete the PTZ thumbnail image in UI3 ? I was playing around and added a few presets to see how it works and I no longer want that preset. I tried to go in BI camera properties and cleared the preset, as well as the camera's GUI but the thumbnail still shows up in UI3.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 - Do you have a donate link or anything? Also is there a way to change the default clip download? Instead of saving/exporting a clip into the .bvr format I was hoping to export it into .mp4 or something.

Thanks!
See bottom of first post in link for Brian's paypal account for donations. I highly encourage everyone to support his great software skills. He makes our lives easier and happier.

I made a better remote-live-view page

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just downloaded and am playing with the beta. Really liking it so far over the previous UI! Nice work!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are we able to get an option to ignore the "Your CPU is not fasy enough to handle this stream in realtime. Consider changing the streaming quality"

As it pops up once ever 5-10 seconds and its annoying!
Nope. Without that message it is hard to know that your stream is falling more and more behind. Switch to jpeg mode if your system can't handle H.264 mode.

Also is there a way to change the default clip download? Instead of saving/exporting a clip into the .bvr format I was hoping to export it into .mp4 or something.

Thanks!
I mentioned this to Ken a while ago and he thought it would be a good idea. But until he takes some action, UI3 has no control over the export format.

@bp2008 How do we delete the PTZ thumbnail image in UI3 ? I was playing around and added a few presets to see how it works and I no longer want that preset. I tried to go in BI camera properties and cleared the preset, as well as the camera's GUI but the thumbnail still shows up in UI3.
The thumbnails are stored in your Blue Iris directory in the Cameras folder.

How do you enable them?
How do you enable Alerts?

Read the Blue Iris help file.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 The Alerts/Clips list on the left: when the Thumbnails are set to large, it takes alot more effort to scroll down the list.

It's not so bad when the thumbnails are set to small.

Is it possible for the scroll speed to be faster when the thumbnails are set to large?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I have an issue that I noticed today. when using UI3 on chrome on android and when I scroll down the alert list and get down to around 50 + or minus 20 or so the webpage freezes. I have to close out chrome and launch UI3 again. This happens both in the chrome browser and when launching UI3 from the home screen (like a "native app" is what I think it was called).

The issue does not appear to happen in windows.

I'm on BI version 4.6.5.2 and Ui3 version B18. On both my Android phone (Samsung S7 edge) and Table (Samsung Galaxy Tab A).

Anyone else having this issue?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, how do you enable the alert icons/bookmarks on the timeline.

I have alerts already enabled as I receive motion detection emails.
UI3 doesn't have a timeline. If you mean showing the position of alerts on the seek bar, that isn't something UI3 does.

@bp2008 The Alerts/Clips list on the left: when the Thumbnails are set to large, it takes alot more effort to scroll down the list.

It's not so bad when the thumbnails are set to small.

Is it possible for the scroll speed to be faster when the thumbnails are set to large?

Thanks.
Nope, I have no control over the scroll speed.

So I have an issue that I noticed today. when using UI3 on chrome on android and when I scroll down the alert list and get down to around 50 + or minus 20 or so the webpage freezes. I have to close out chrome and launch UI3 again. This happens both in the chrome browser and when launching UI3 from the home screen (like a "native app" is what I think it was called).

The issue does not appear to happen in windows.

I'm on BI version 4.6.5.2 and Ui3 version B18. On both my Android phone (Samsung S7 edge) and Table (Samsung Galaxy Tab A).

Anyone else having this issue?
Mine seems to do that too. Thanks for letting me know.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The hang on Android was due to the clip list being massive and complex, and Chrome was taking an obscene amount of time to render it when it grew large (even though most of the content isn't visible most of the time -- go figure). I've now changed the clip list code so that each clip tile is completely removed from the page when it is scrolled more than ~500 pixels out of view, and this has solved the hangup for me, and drastically improved the performance of the clip list scrolling even on powerful desktop systems. Once Blue Iris starts letting the browser cache the thumbnails, it should work even better.

Beta 19 coming soon.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b19 is available in the first post.

* Login Page: Added a context menu to "Log in automatically" and "Log in" controls, providing the additional option for automatic login to be instant or to have a delay.
* Improved clip list scrolling performance and browser stability.
* Fixed a bug in the duration labels of long clips that resulted in the "seconds" value always being 10.
* Fixed the issue that made clip thumbnail loading hang temporarily if scrolling fast in a large clip list.
* Reduced the chance for UI3 and Blue Iris to disagree about the duration of a clip that is currently being recorded. It can still happen quite easily, however, causing seeking to be inaccurate while using an H.264 streaming mode.