Blue Iris UI3

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Just tried out the new UI3 to help lower CPU usage while viewing the console over a RDP session and am amazed! Dropped about 15% off, thanks for the great interface!

1 thing, is there a way to change the size of some cameras like in the console interface? We have a few cameras that where larger and cant find anything to increase the size.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
1 thing, is there a way to change the size of some cameras like in the console interface? We have a few cameras that where larger and cant find anything to increase the size.
Yeah, you can manipulate the layout of group views somewhat if you select the group and change its frame size:

You can also reorganize the cameras within Blue Iris if necessary to achieve the layout you want.

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Excellent, haven't used groups before but will be doing it now. Thank you!

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Other dumb question but is it possible to display multiple camera groups at the same time? So my 3 Exterior cameras have a larger view and all the other cameras are smaller?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting. Can you try an older version (you probably still have the zip file?) again to see if that makes a difference?

I don't think I have changed anything about the video streaming in quite a while so I'm very curious to find out if this is caused by something I did.

You could end up with "CPU not fast enough" errors if for some reason your network buffered up a whole lot of video and then delivered it all at once. Certainly I could see some VPN implementations being the cause of that, but I wouldn't expect it to happen often.
Well, here is an interesting tidbit of information. I did as you suggested and actually restored UI3 beta1 from early November from a backup. Same results, slow over the VPN. Then I restored BI version 4.6.4.8 from that same time frame (November 9th or so) and it worked great. Restored UI3 back to beta 17 and it still worked great. So, it has something to do with BI, not UI3.

I have all of the update files for BI, and I just tested each one of them, and it's BI v4.6.5.0 that introduces the long buffering delay. Any version prior to that and UI3 comes up almost instantly over VPN.

When the "CPU not fast enough..." message comes up and the video starts to play, it does play at super speed (4x or so) for about 5 seconds before it settles down to real time, so I guess that might be a buffering issue?

Any idea if Ken may have done something in v4.6.5.0 that would cause this to happen?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see anything in Blue Iris's change log that looks suspicious. Given the super-speed playback it does sound like some kind of buffering issue.

What kind of VPN are you using?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see anything in Blue Iris's change log that looks suspicious. Given the super-speed playback it does sound like some kind of buffering issue.

What kind of VPN are you using?
It's openVPN on a Synology DiskStation, but I temporarily forwarded a port in my router and accessed it that way...same result.

I wonder if this new feature in 4.6.5.0 of BI would do it? I would guess that would include video going to the webpage.

*The MIME content-type for proprietary streaming video requests from the server has been changed from video/mpeg to the more accurate application/octet-stream. This may help in some circumstances where the video streaming is unable to traverse some proxy servers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That shouldn't affect it. It certainly doesn't affect mine when I connect remotely. (tested with multiple systems).

Can you try a different web browser, like Edge or Opera?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That shouldn't affect it. It certainly doesn't affect mine when I connect remotely. (tested with multiple systems).

Can you try a different web browser, like Edge or Opera?
I just tried Opera with the same result.

Might have to break out Wireshark and see what the difference is between 4.6.4.12 and 4.6.5.0 from a HTTP traffic standpoint.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried Opera with the same result.

Might have to break out Wireshark and see what the difference is between 4.6.4.12 and 4.6.5.0 from a HTTP traffic standpoint.
Hmmmm.

You know what, this could be the doing of an antivirus/malware software. It sees the "application/octet-stream" mime type and assumes it is a file download, so it starts to scan the thing. Eventually it finds nothing and lets the stream through. That would explain the delay.

If you can confirm this, I'd be interested to know what the program is, and I'll also let Ken know to change the Content-Type header back.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
ui3_err.JPG I'm getting this error in IE11 98.16299.0 Update Version 11.0.48 (KB4047206) since upgrading to .16 -

Works fine in FireFox though.

markchavez

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

b17 - Same error with Edge on Windows 10. On same machine with Chrome...no error.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b18 is now available in the first post.

Changes include:
+ A large thumbnail is now shown when you mouse over an Alert/Clip tile. Can be disabled via the context menu.
* PTZ preset buttons that don't have a thumbnail no longer try to load the thumbnail every time you mouse over them.
* Fixed startup failure related to the "toFixed()" function that occurred in some browsers.
* Fixed bug where a camera's PTZ preset thumbnails were reloaded every time that camera was maximized (should be once per UI3 load).

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe just for fun you should name these after bombers

Douglas B-18 Bolo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Beta b18 is now available in the first post.

Changes include:
+ A large thumbnail is now shown when you mouse over an Alert/Clip tile. Can be disabled via the context menu.
* PTZ preset buttons that don't have a thumbnail no longer try to load the thumbnail every time you mouse over them.
* Fixed startup failure related to the "toFixed()" function that occurred in some browsers.
* Fixed bug where a camera's PTZ preset thumbnails were reloaded every time that camera was maximized (should be once per UI3 load).
@bp2008 Thanks for the large thumbnail pop-ups! And UI3 is working on iPad mini again because error with "toFixed()" is gone.

But I noticed that the 10s skip back doesn't always work.

What do I mean...

I click on an alert that is 1 min in length. I never pause video. I keep clicking the 10s skip forward several times until I get past 1 min mark. If I then do 10s skip backwards, it does not always skip back. It sometimes skips forward. I don't know why.

I didn't see this problem in b17. Maybe it's a new bug with b18. Not sure if this bug is repeatable with every alert clip.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 More info on the 10s skip behavior. For cameras with 24x7 continuous recording NOT enabled, if I continue to hit 10s skip forward on an alert, it loops back to the begining of the alert.

For cameras where I have 24x7 continuous recording enabled, if I continue to hit 10s skip foward, it does not loop back to the alert begining. And this is when the 10s skip back starts getting wonky.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The skipping bug appears to only happen in clips that are still recording. Is this correct?

If the cause is what I think it is, this will be a challenge to fix.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The skipping bug appears to only happen in clips that are still recording. Is this correct?

If the cause is what I think it is, this will be a challenge to fix.
No, I tested on alerts that were done recording.