Blue Iris UI3

CBers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris has no problem with reverse proxies that have been set up correctly.
My nginx config is configured in the same way as other services I use, which all work OK.

@Swynol and my configurations are the same, as we're trying to get it working with nginx.

The code you refer to is set like this:

location / {
proxy_pass http://IPADDRESS:PORT/;

We are both using your beta ui3, hence the questions here.

If you have a working server block for BI/UI3, perhaps you would be kind enough to share it please.

Thanks for your help.

Swynol

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008

still having issues with RP. i've removed almost everything from my nginx conf file except my blue iris server block and still get the same issue. login page loads, i enter the details, the login button changes to redirecting then back at the login page.

##CCTV Server##

server {
listen [::]:443 ssl;
listen 443 ssl;
server_name cctv.mydomain.com;
ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.1 TLSv1;
ssl_certificate SSL/cert.pem;
ssl_certificate_key SSL/private.key;
location / {
proxy_pass http://192.168.60.10:8099;
}
}

If i access Blue Iris on my Lan with 192.168.60.10:8099 i get the new UI3 login page but then when i login i get the old web page. If i browse to http://192.168.60.10:8099/ui3beta/ui3.htm i get all the new UI3 web stuff. So is the issue with my reverse proxy that the UI3 login page is trying to take me to the old web page?

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, how did I miss this? Clicked on the recent posts view and saw it.
Have been using UI2 for a long time.
The other day at a friends place, I logged in forgetting to use /ui2.htm and got the BI interface.
I thought WTF is this?? :)

UI3 is looking great. Nice and responsive. Great job, thanks for all you do!!

I will agree with some others that I will miss the larger animated clip icons, but have no other concerns.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm starting up an Ubuntu VM right now to play around with nginx...

When is this expected to be officially released through Blue Iris?
The expectation is that Blue Iris will release a new major version (version 5 I suppose) around the end of the year and include this UI. Ken doesn't really talk to me much so I don't know if that is still his plan or not.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008

still having issues with RP. i've removed almost everything from my nginx conf file except my blue iris server block and still get the same issue. login page loads, i enter the details, the login button changes to redirecting then back at the login page.

##CCTV Server##

server {
listen [::]:443 ssl;
listen 443 ssl;
server_name cctv.mydomain.com;
ssl_certificate SSL/cert.pem;
ssl_certificate_key SSL/private.key;
location / {
proxy_pass http://192.168.60.10:8099;
}
}

If i access Blue Iris on my Lan with 192.168.60.10:8099 i get the new UI3 login page but then when i login i get the old web page. If i browse to http://192.168.60.10:8099/ui3beta/ui3.htm i get all the new UI3 web stuff. So is the issue with my reverse proxy that the UI3 login page is trying to take me to the old web page?
I built a self-signed certificate and an extremely similar configuration, but can't reproduce your redirect problem.

Code:
server {
        listen 443 ssl default_server;
        listen [::]:443 ssl default_server;

server_name 192.168.0.109;
        ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/nginx-selfsigned.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/private/nginx-selfsigned.key;

location / {
                proxy_pass http://192.168.0.132/;
        }
}
The only time I had a problem was if I included this line
Code:
add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
because it makes browsers require the Content-Type header to be set for .js (JavaScript) files. Blue Iris doesn't set that header reliably. Blue Iris gets the Content-Type value out of the Windows registry, which doesn't have a mapping for .js by default. I told Ken how insufficient this was ages and ages ago but he never fixed it.

By the way, if you add this line to your location block and enable the X-Forwarded-For option in Web server settings > Advanced, then Blue Iris will know the actual IP addresses which connect instead of assuming all connections come from your proxy server's address.

Code:
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;

Swynol

n3wb
Reaction score
I built a self-signed certificate and an extremely similar configuration, but can't reproduce your redirect problem.

Code:
server {
        listen 443 ssl default_server;
        listen [::]:443 ssl default_server;

server_name 192.168.0.109;
        ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/nginx-selfsigned.crt;
        ssl_certificate_key /etc/ssl/private/nginx-selfsigned.key;

location / {
                proxy_pass http://192.168.0.132/;
        }
}
The only time I had a problem was if I included this line
Code:
add_header X-Content-Type-Options nosniff;
because it makes browsers require the Content-Type header to be set for .js (JavaScript) files. Blue Iris doesn't set that header reliably. Blue Iris gets the Content-Type value out of the Windows registry, which doesn't have a mapping for .js by default. I told Ken how insufficient this was ages and ages ago but he never fixed it.

By the way, if you add this line to your location block and enable the X-Forwarded-For option in Web server settings > Advanced, then Blue Iris will know the actual IP addresses which connect instead of assuming all connections come from your proxy server's address.

Code:
thanks for looking. very strange.

I'm guessing you missed the port number off the proxy_pass by accident.

i do normally use this header -
Code:
but i removed everything to go back to basics to see why it wasnt working. using the nginx config above but with my domain name. From within side my LAN using my domain name i get the login screen, login fine but I end up at the old GUI, my domainname looks like https://mydomain.com/jpegpull.htm if i change it to https://mydomain.com/ui3beta/ui3.htm it works fine (again inside my lan only)

When accessing it externally. i get the new login screen but cant login. the url looks like https://mydomain.com/login.htm?page=/ui3beta/ui3.htm

all the above is using chrome.

If i use IE11 externally, i get the login page, i can login fine but again get the old GUI. the address is https://mydomain.com/default.htm if i change this to https://mydomain.com/ui3beta/ui3.htm the new GUI loads fine externally.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know. It was a while before I first got involved though. Probably 2011 give or take a year?
December 25, 2011...you can see this in the whats new section...scroll to the bottom and look at the v3 whats new...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you missed the port number off the proxy_pass by accident.
My Blue Iris server listens on port 80 so I don't need to include a port number when accessing via a LAN address.

From within side my LAN using my domain name i get the login screen, login fine but I end up at the old GUI, my domainname looks like https://mydomain.com/jpegpull.htm if i change it to https://mydomain.com/ui3beta/ui3.htm it works fine (again inside my lan only)

When accessing it externally. i get the new login screen but cant login. the url looks like https://mydomain.com/login.htm?page=/ui3beta/ui3.htm
Blue Iris sends you to jpegpull.htm after login when your URL didn't specify anything different, because Blue Iris doesn't know anything about UI3 yet. I expect that once the UI is released officially, people will start getting redirected to UI3 instead.

If you private message (conversation) me the URL and some temporary credentials I will be happy to see what I can find out.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, how did I miss this? Clicked on the recent posts view and saw it.
Have been using UI2 for a long time.
The other day at a friends place, I logged in forgetting to use /ui2.htm and got the BI interface.
I thought WTF is this??

UI3 is looking great. Nice and responsive. Great job, thanks for all you do!!

I will agree with some others that I will miss the larger animated clip icons, but have no other concerns.
First there was @drunkpenguin, and now there is @The_Penguin?

Where the hell is @Batman when you need him!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b17 is now available in the first post.

Changes include:
+ Added hotkeys and optional buttons for "Skip Ahead 1 Frame" and "Skip Back 1 Frame" (period, comma). These actions automatically pause the video.
+ Added hotkeys for changing to the Live View, Alerts, and Clips tabs (F1, F2, F3).
+ Added hotkey for closing the current clip (escape).
+ Added hotkey for closing the current maximized camera (escape).
+ Added hotkey for toggling between forward and reverse play (backspace).
+ Added a new icon for the "Skip Ahead" and "Skip Back" buttons.
+ Added an option to the "Extra" section to toggle session status notifications when the UI loads.
* Session status is no longer shown by default when UI3 loads with an administrator session, as this is now controlled by a setting.
* The previously-existing "Skip Ahead" and "Skip Back" hotkeys no longer pause the video.
* The "Skip Time (seconds)" setting can now handle fractional values and has a minimum value of 0.01.
* Zooming on a paused recording while in Jpeg mode no longer causes the image to reload unneccesarily.
* Changing the playback speed or reverse state with a hotkey now affects the playback settings panel if it is open.
* Fixed a bug where the timer to hide playback controls did not start after opening a clip until you moused over the video player.
* UI3 now knows proper names for the Media keys Play/Pause, Stop, Previous, and Next (tested with a Logitech keyboard) if you bind them as hotkeys.
* UI3 now shows labels for semicolon, comma, hyphen, and period keys.
* Minimum and maximum values are now semi-enforced for number settings.
* UI3 should be able to handle failure responses from the logout command now, if they were to happen.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @bp2008 for all the improvements in b17.

particularly:

+ Added hotkeys and optional buttons for "Skip Ahead 1 Frame" and "Skip Back 1 Frame" (period, comma). These actions automatically pause the video.
+ Added a new icon for the "Skip Ahead" and "Skip Back" buttons.

Just nice!

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 Feature request: On Alerts UI, when I hover my mouse over an alert on the left, the alert Properties page should automatically pop-up to show me a larger version of the alert snapshot --- as shown in screenshot below.

If I move my mouse down to the next alert, the Properties page should then reflect the snapshot for that alert.

If I move my mouse off the alert column/grid, the Properties pop-up should automatically disappear.

Not sure if anyone else has asked you for this feature but in my older years, I have a hard time seeing the details so having a pop-up with a larger pic will help me determine if I should playback that alert.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

P.S. Related, it's possible not everyone will want this behavior so you can perhaps make it something we can enable/disable in UI Settings

HoverOverAlert.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Feature request: On Alerts UI, when I hover my mouse over an alert on the left, the alert Properties page should automatically pop-up to show me a larger version of the alert snapshot --- as shown in screenshot below.
I don't know about bringing up the whole properties panel, but I could certainly pop up the full-size thumbnail. It would be a lot like mousing over a PTZ preset. (tip: the latest version of Blue Iris saves a thumbnail whenever you SET a ptz preset, and UI3 shows it -- so if you have any PTZ cameras it would be advisable to load and re-set all the presets so you have a fresh set of thumbnails!).

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know about bringing up the whole properties panel, but I could certainly pop up the full-size thumbnail. It would be a lot like mousing over a PTZ preset. (tip: the latest version of Blue Iris saves a thumbnail whenever you SET a ptz preset, and UI3 shows it -- so if you have any PTZ cameras it would be advisable to load and re-set all the presets so you have a fresh set of thumbnails!).
Pop-ups of full-size thumbnails would be awesome!

I don't have any PTZ cameras so I don't have a reason to try the PTZ feature and see thumbnails there.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 b17 seems to work fine on both Chrome and Firefox v57 on my Mac. It also seems to work fine on my Surface Pro2 Chrome.

But when I try b17 on iPad mini Safari and Chrome, I get this after successful login:

IMG_1861.PNG
And when I hit "Close", I get stuck on this screen:

IMG_E1862.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Love the new UI3 interface! Thanks for all of your hard work and time you put into it.

Not sure if you changed the way video loads a few versions back (v13, v14, in that time frame), but when I use Chrome (v63) and VPN into my home network, the live video feed takes somewhere between 20 and 30 to start playing after login. I just get the spinning circle. This also happens whenever I switch from the live view on one camera to the live view on another camera. Doesn't seem to matter whether I select S0 (4096 kpbs) or S1 (2048 kbps). I eventually get the message saying that my CPU is not fast enough to handle the stream in real time, which is not true. I know it used to be fairly instant a few versions back. This is only over VPN, locally it still loads instantly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 b17 seems to work fine on both Chrome and Firefox v57 on my Mac. It also seems to work fine on my Surface Pro2 Chrome.

But when I try b17 on iPad mini Safari and Chrome, I get this after successful login:

And when I hit "Close", I get stuck on this screen:
Thanks for letting me know. It will be fixed in the next beta release.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if you changed the way video loads a few versions back (v13, v14, in that time frame), but when I use Chrome (v63) and VPN into my home network, the live video feed takes somewhere between 20 and 30 to start playing after login. I just get the spinning circle. This also happens whenever I switch from the live view on one camera to the live view on another camera. Doesn't seem to matter whether I select S0 (4096 kpbs) or S1 (2048 kbps). I eventually get the message saying that my CPU is not fast enough to handle the stream in real time, which is not true. I know it used to be fairly instant a few versions back. This is only over VPN, locally it still loads instantly.
Interesting. Can you try an older version (you probably still have the zip file?) again to see if that makes a difference?

I don't think I have changed anything about the video streaming in quite a while so I'm very curious to find out if this is caused by something I did.

You could end up with "CPU not fast enough" errors if for some reason your network buffered up a whole lot of video and then delivered it all at once. Certainly I could see some VPN implementations being the cause of that, but I wouldn't expect it to happen often.