Blue Iris UI3

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With UI3 open in the Samsung browser on your TV you should be able to go into the setting of UI3 to change the H.264 player to Java. For me it was a little tedious trying to get into the settings since I had all these flashing red error messages but with patience and quick clicking I was able to get in and change the player.
same here, but after the red errors went away, I still cannot get the settings to open... just grayed out and loading h264 spinning in the display... can't get past that. I was hoping there was something I could put into the web address or something that would force Java...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 is there any possibility of making UI3 working with reverse proxy authentication?

edit3: Ehh, seems like I got ahead of myself and there was some session caching going on despite logging off. I still get the basic auth prompt from BI after logging in via the proxy. I contacted support and will share any knowledge I might gain from that.
As you've perhaps discovered, it is entirely out of my hands.

If you want your proxy server to handle the authentication, then I recommend you disable Blue Iris's authentication requirement ("Require from:" "No connections") and use Windows firewall to ensure that BI's web server can only be accessed via the reverse proxy server. You'll still be able to log in to UI3 with an admin session if you want, it will just give you an anonymous session by default.

As an alternative, something you could try is to whitelist the proxy server's IP by putting it in the "Limit acces by IP address" box after a ^ character which tells blue iris that connections coming from that IP should automatically get an administrator session.

1701965249051.png

You'd need to turn OFF the X-Forwarded-For header checkbox for that to work of course.

I'm trying to do the same with my (also older) Samsung TV... using the UI3 v 260, it starts to load UI3 but stalls "loading h264". I can't select the settings or options to change to Java or change the res... those options are grayed out as it is still trying to load H264. Did you see that and find a way to fix that? BI v 5.8.0.16, no direct to wire enabled... Thanks...
There is probably no way at the moment. I'll make a note to make the settings panel accessible if the loading procedure stalls. Probably I'll add a little button to the bottom of the loading status box after a few seconds.

With UI3 open in the Samsung browser on your TV you should be able to go into the setting of UI3 to change the H.264 player to Java. For me it was a little tedious trying to get into the settings since I had all these flashing red error messages but with patience and quick clicking I was able to get in and change the player.
It has been months since I configured the red error messages to not overlap the top bar where the hamburger menu is, and to appear behind the settings panel. How were they interfering?

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you've perhaps discovered, it is entirely out of my hands.

If you want your proxy server to handle the authentication, then I recommend you disable Blue Iris's authentication requirement ("Require from:" "No connections") and use Windows firewall to ensure that BI's web server can only be accessed via the reverse proxy server. You'll still be able to log in to UI3 with an admin session if you want, it will just give you an anonymous session by default.

As an alternative, something you could try is to whitelist the proxy server's IP by putting it in the "Limit acces by IP address" box after a ^ character which tells blue iris that connections coming from that IP should automatically get an administrator session.

View attachment 179572

You'd need to turn OFF the X-Forwarded-For header checkbox for that to work of course.

There is probably no way at the moment. I'll make a note to make the settings panel accessible if the loading procedure stalls. Probably I'll add a little button to the bottom of the loading status box after a few seconds.

It has been months since I configured the red error messages to not overlap the top bar where the hamburger menu is, and to appear behind the settings panel. How were they interfering?
Thanks.. the red boxes do block the hamburger briefly (attached pic) but they go away if you wait. But the hamburger is still inactive, and "loading H264 player" is "busy"samsung 1.jpg

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Must be just due to the age of the browser, it doesn't adhere to web standards like the newer ones do...
agreed. Expensive Samsung TV is half obsolete in 3 or 4 years... can't do half of the current stream options. If you can make it work, great, if not, no biggie:) Thanks!

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@rdxny If you manually install UI3-262, I've added a button to open UI Settings. It should appear after about 3 seconds.

View attachment 179592

If you need instructions to manually install UI3, they are here in the ui3 github repository's readme document.
I loaded v 262, but no extra button appears:( (yes, v 262 shows in my normal browser, so update was ok.)... I'm afraid the samsung browser is just messed up! Thanks for trying! (btw, everything after "loading h264 player" is also "busy", not "OK", if that matters.samsung 3.jpg

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I loaded v 262, but no extra button appears:( (yes, v 262 shows in my normal browser, so update was ok.)... I'm afraid the samsung browser is just messed up! Thanks for trying! (btw, everything after "loading h264 player" is also "busy", not "OK", if that matters.View attachment 179593
Yeah the browser is messing up in a number of ways that wouldn't be fixed even if you could change the H.264 player. A lot of the CSS is not loading. None of the API communication to Blue Iris is finishing. There are no apparent error toast messages appearing. I would suggest clearing the browser cache (if you can) and try again, but that is a long shot.

Other than that, there are some older web interfaces you could try if you want. jpegpull.htm is one of Blue Iris's original web interface pages and it is very primitive and may work where nothing else does.

For something a little more advanced, you can download my UI2 interface (it is what I was working on before UI3). GitHub - bp2008/ui2: A custom web interface for Blue Iris Video Security Software
ui2.htm doesn't use nearly as many advanced web features, so it is more likely to work in an old browser. The UI2 zip file also comes with jpegpull2.htm and allcams.htm which are even older.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah the browser is messing up in a number of ways that wouldn't be fixed even if you could change the H.264 player. A lot of the CSS is not loading. None of the API communication to Blue Iris is finishing. There are no apparent error toast messages appearing. I would suggest clearing the browser cache (if you can) and try again, but that is a long shot.

Other than that, there are some older web interfaces you could try if you want. jpegpull.htm is one of Blue Iris's original web interface pages and it is very primitive and may work where nothing else does.

For something a little more advanced, you can download my UI2 interface (it is what I was working on before UI3). GitHub - bp2008/ui2: A custom web interface for Blue Iris Video Security Software
ui2.htm doesn't use nearly as many advanced web features, so it is more likely to work in an old browser. The UI2 zip file also comes with jpegpull2.htm and allcams.htm which are even older.
Thanks, I may try some of this later but also possible I will give up on this project... just another excuse to get a more modern TV :) I appreciate the attempt (UI3 works great on all the other desktops, phones, and tabs, that I have used)

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris Web Interface - favicon / MacOS Save to Dock

I've noticed that the favicons are pretty low resolution. I'd like to help out some how on this if possible. If I could get a hold of a clear, high resolution image of the logo, we could make the code so that the icon is large and clear on retina screens and the new Safari "Save to Dock" feature so that the icon looks really sharp. I found this thread on fixing the Save to Dock icon.

Is this something that you would be interested in @bp2008 ? If so, how do we get a higher quality image? The best I could gather is from the help file but getting the original SVG or PSD would be beneficial. icon_BI-UI.png

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jake1979

The original source of the icon I have is this (503x503 resolution): ui3/ui3/icons-src/logosrc.png at 262 · bp2008/ui3

I don't remember exactly where it came from, but probably from the BI developer. I also enlarged the image with a variety of AI tools. None is perfect but the one I liked best is here (2012x2012): ui3/ui3/icons-src/logosrc_ai.png at 262 · bp2008/ui3

But neither of those files is referenced directly by UI3.

Can you tell exactly which image file MacOS is using?

Probably one of these...

favicon.ico is the old logo. It looks like this:
1702050577554.png

The first icon declared in ui3's manifest.json file is 128px, webp format:
But the first "png" version in manifest.json is 48px:
Meanwhile the icon specified by the <link rel="apple-touch-icon" html element is 192px:
UI3's manifest.json file (in the applet subidrectory) refers to many different versions of the image. If you move one of the later references to the top of the icons array (taking care not to break the json syntax), does that make MacOS choose it?

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've attached a screen shot of the web app in the dock here.

When I browse to where the app is located in Finder (/Users/username/Applications/NVR UI3.app/Contents), in the resources folder is a fie name ApplicationIcon.icns. I've attached that as well. It looks like it could be the 128px.Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 7.37.08 PM.png Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 7.41.01 PM.png

When I edit C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\www\ui3\manifest.json: I made this change: (that logo is in the logos folder)
Code:
{
    "short_name": "UI3",
    "name": "Blue Iris UI3",
    "icons": [
        {
            "src": "logos/logosrc_ai.png",
            "sizes": "any",
            "type": "image/png"
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon144.webp",
            "sizes": "144x144",
            "type": "image/webp"
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon168.webp",
            "sizes": "168x168",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon192.webp",
            "sizes": "192x192",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon48.png",
            "sizes": "48x48",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon72.png",
            "sizes": "72x72",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon96.png",
            "sizes": "96x96",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon128.png",
            "sizes": "128x128",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon144.png",
            "sizes": "144x144",
        },
        {
            "src": "logos/launcher-icon168.png",
            "sizes": "168x168",
        },
        {
            "src": "launcher-icon.png",
            "sizes": "192x192",
        }
    ],
    "display": "standalone",
    "orientation": "any"
}
Safari does not pick the largest file. I wonder if it's picking the favicon file and converting it to icns? It's the same size.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Safari does not pick the largest file. I wonder if it's picking the favicon file and converting it to icns? It's the same size.
As noted earlier, favicon.ico is a very different, older logo (UI3 doesn't provide it either; it is stock Blue Iris). Or is yours different?

1702137647760.png

I agree a conversion is likely happening. The file size in your screenshot does not closely match any of the UI3-provided image files. Also UI3's smallest logo is 48px and your screenshot appears to show substantially lower resolution than that.

UI3's manifest.json location and content has changed in more recent versions, and is now located in the /applet/ subfolder instead of the /ui3/ subfolder (but you'll still find a defunct copy in the ui3 folder after updating). This was done because Blue Iris's web server will deliver files from /applet/ without requiring a session, and this was necessary for proper progressive web app installation. So there may be a beneficial effect if you update UI3 (but I doubt it).

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I Just made the same changes to the applet folder, same, low res icon. The favicon.ico in my www folder is not the flower icon.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 2.27.10 PM.png

I replaced the low res favicon with the largest ico file I could make which was 256 and it still looks the same.
Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 2.28.51 PM.png

Let me know if there's anything else that I can try.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you could replace the image file on your mac after apple produces it. The only question is, how do you create that file type?

Reaction score
Is it possible to add a forward and back button into the UI interface to enable cycling through cameras. (Similar to swiping through cameras with the Blue Iris app?)

Bruce_H

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a forward and back button into the UI interface to enable cycling through cameras. (Similar to swiping through cameras with the Blue Iris app?)
Does the period key "." not work for you? It is listed in the Hotkeys as "Next Camera", Also the comma key "," is listed as "Previous Camera"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a planned feature to implement left and right swiping on touchscreens to do that. But it is not implemented yet.