Blue Iris UI3

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I keep getting this error popup on iPad. I've attempted to narrow down whats causing it but haven't found anything specific. Using WebCodecs.

It never displays the error when loading the page, only when it has been displaying cams for some time.

Pressing ok refreshes the stream and continues as normal.

tempImageKjS2PH.jpg

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@hikky_b

That is a puzzling error, it seems that the streaming profile you are using may be getting forgotten somehow. I have not been able to figure out what sequence of events could cause that. Anyway I have tried to make the relevant code more fault-tolerant in UI3-264 which I would like you to install manually and let me know what happens. Maybe this will solve the problem for you or at least help identify the true solution.

kriskross

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi bp, I'm getting a large number for my Alert status counter (944) with nothing in the Alerts list, but only for a User-level BI login. If I login as an Admin, the the counter is correct (no alerts). I'm particularly interested because my Alerts aren't working at all right now (after migrating from v4 to v5 (5.8.1.5), and I'm trying to track down the problem. I'm seeing this in Firefox on my iPhone and Mac computer (local network). Both logins have "Alert and status counters" checked in BI Settings.

Edit: I should add that I just re-started BI this morning with an empty database--deleted all clips and the db directory and regenerated the database.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@kriskross
It is the number of alerts that are unseen by the user you've logged in with. The way it works, I believe, is whenever you view an alert for a particular camera, then Blue Iris considers that alert seen along with all older alerts from the same camera. And because of how mousing over an alert list item in UI3 opens an preview animation, that is sufficient for Blue Iris to consider the alert "seen".

I don't know why you'd see a number when your system currently has no alerts. Must be a bug, like Blue Iris isn't clearing the alert counters when alerts are deleted maybe. Should be able to right click the alert button in UI3's top bar and have an option to clear the alert counter.

1702936170453.png

kriskross

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! The clear counters worked--I looked everywhere but right-click, duh :facepalm: I can check that off my list of conundrums, on to the next!

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hikky_b

That is a puzzling error, it seems that the streaming profile you are using may be getting forgotten somehow. I have not been able to figure out what sequence of events could cause that. Anyway I have tried to make the relevant code more fault-tolerant in UI3-264 which I would like you to install manually and let me know what happens. Maybe this will solve the problem for you or at least help identify the true solution.
Will install now and update on my findings. Will try and see if I can identify a pattern into what triggers the error, aside from time. Thanks for the continued support!

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a reverse proxy that sits in front of my apps and it forwards unauthenticated requests to an authentication server, and then redirects back the request to the app with a number of headers, including the username, email, user's groups, etc. The goal here is SSO for all apps.
Just wanted to update that this is now implemented as of Blue Iris 5.8.2.4.
I reached out to support and Ken implemented it very quickly.

Blue Iris will look for the Remote-User header from the proxy, and authorize that user if it exists in the BI auth db.

Works without any issues with UI3, though the logout button won't really work, as that would have to be linked to the SSO provider's logout page (doesn't bother me).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@EyeOfSauron Can you better describe how that works? I want to make sure it was not implemented in a vulnerable way. I found no mention of it in the help file or web server config section, and passing along a Remote-User: username header or Remote-User: username:password had no effect.

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@EyeOfSauron Can you better describe how that works? I want to make sure it was not implemented in a vulnerable way. I found no mention of it in the help file or web server config section, and passing along a Remote-User: username header or Remote-User: username:password had no effect.
I can only share what I was told - I sent him the request for this and included following docs:

I also told him this:

With this setup, BI should either trust only specific (proxy) IPs to provide those headers, or advise the user to ensure that BI cannot be accessed without going via the proxy.
It's possible that the docs and/or additional options are forthcoming since I just today replied that it was working as intended.

Just for a sanity test, as I am on my work computer and going via another proxy etc, I tried from the command line using a machine on my network, and it seems to work. Without it, I get a 401 response.

curl -I -H 'Remote-User: MY_USERNAME' -XGET http://blueiris.MY.DOMAIN

Edit: I also had to add -XGET to the curl command.

Last edited:

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hikky_b

Update:

No errors since installing UI3-264.

Will keep monitoring - Thank you!

rogerh1

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this with IOS 16.4? Fails on both my iphone's with the same error. From a reddit post:

Updated my phone to 16.4, no longer was able to view UI3 in either chrome or safari. BI installed version was 5.7.1.2. My wife’s phone, still on 16.3, continued to work properly.
Updated BI to 5.7.2.4, still no working video in 16.4. Wife’s phone on 16.3 still works.
If you’re using iOS, maybe wait to update.
I filed a bug here that might be related to this issue- 267121 – WebKit requires keyframes now for video decodes, which makes it less forgiving for IP cameras -- I wonder if this PR ([WebCodecs] AudioDecoder and AudioData support by philn · Pull Request #16432 · WebKit/WebKit) may have introduced the "Key frame is required" or even an earlier change. Waiting to hear back from the developers for any input here.

GoodToGo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any way to setup the UI3 while using dual NIC? I tried running it and it comes back saying bad connection request.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually found the original PR: 245878 – Implement WebCodecsVideoDecoder with VPx backend

It seems adding support for newer codecs (VP8/VP9) may have led to this breaking change.
I'm glad someone has finally been tracking down the cause of that problem and the proper place to report it :)

Hi all,

Is there any way to setup the UI3 while using dual NIC? I tried running it and it comes back saying bad connection request.
In Blue Iris Settings > Web server, make sure the "Bind exclusively" checkbox is not checked. Then ensure that the TCP port number for Blue Iris's web server is allowed through Windows Firewall. I always create a firewall rule to explicitly allow that traffic, and do not rely on the automatic firewall configuration to do the job properly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can only share what I was told - I sent him the request for this and included following docs:

I also told him this:

It's possible that the docs and/or additional options are forthcoming since I just today replied that it was working as intended.

Just for a sanity test, as I am on my work computer and going via another proxy etc, I tried from the command line using a machine on my network, and it seems to work. Without it, I get a 401 response.

curl -I -H 'Remote-User: MY_USERNAME' -XGET http://blueiris.MY.DOMAIN

Edit: I also had to add -XGET to the curl command.
None of this seems to be working still as of BI 5.8.3.1, and there's still no documentation of the feature in the help file or in BI settings. Something must be missing. I've tried sending this request from another LAN machine and also from a remote internet machine, and in both cases Blue Iris just returns a 302 (redirect) or 401 (unauthorized) depending on whether BI is configured to "Use secure session keys and login page".

I'm just concerned because for a long time Blue Iris did not make any attempt to authorize the X-Forwarded-For header, so it could be exploited by any outside attacker to gain access that is normally only available to privileged IP addresses. (since August 2022, BI now handles that and the X-Real-Ip header much more securely, only trusting header values that were sent by a LAN address). So I am naturally suspicious when other authentication bypass mechanisms are added, that they might be easily exploited by remote connections.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

n3wb
Reaction score
Attaching a pic of the web server settings for vision. The local internal LAN access is working on the blue iris server. If I ping it from another pc in the same network using the internal LAN address, it times out.

The remote external access cannot be seen from the same BI server or any other computer.

IP addresses hidden for obvious reasons.

Blue Iris Web server.jpgBlue Iris Web server.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system because these ranges are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

And it is usually a number typo someone has with their IP address that causes troubleshooting to take longer because someone doesn't show the IP address and that extra 1 sticks out like a sore thumb to someone helping troubleshoot.