Blue Iris UI3

LTek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I surely hope that is the long-term intent. Currently we cant edit the setting/config of the cameras etc. It would be very beneficial if we could admin the core stuff (add/remove cams, update cam settings, etc) from the web UI. Currently we cannot.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that is ever going to happen in Blue Iris's web UI. It is a huge thing to implement, and then afterward it is a maintenance nightmare.

If we are ever to get a fully featured remote console, it will have to be Ken's doing, and I don't know how feasible it would be for him to redesign the local console to be able to interact with the server efficiently over a network link.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Beta b24 is available in the first post.
* Fixed bug where alerts that don't include video cause errors.
* Added hotkeys for moving to the previous or next camera.
* Fixed audio playback in single-camera groups with audio.
* Preview animations no longer start for alerts or clips that are only one frame long.
* Fixed flipped logic for the back button warning in "About this UI" panel.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 25942 UI3, on iOS, Chrome:
When I switch streaming to H.264 I get “The video steam was lost” over and over again.

UI3, on PC:
When I try to download any clips it fails.
I do not get the video stream error on IOS or chrome, but I do get the "download file error" Running the latest on both BI and UI3

error.JPG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't get either of those errors. But perhaps I screwed up the beta release or something.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I restarted the BI server and now I cannot get it to produce the error downloading, not sure what was doing it, but it works fine now.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but I'm new to BI and really this whole security camera thing... sorry, I'm the FNG with a question...

Is the web interface on BI or more specifically your updated web UI designed to be a replacement for regularly launching the application on the BI server? Are there limitations to only using the web UI?

I'm assuming 'yes' so that you can stash away your BI 'server' some place and not have to constantly access the cameras and setup via the server. However, I guess it could also just be a way to access the cameras managed by BI once setup and not really have any functionality for setup or configuration.

Either way, I'll give it a go. Thanks for putting your time and effort into this project!
This is exactly what I use UI3 for. I only fire up the native interface (which is running on a headless server) when I need to apply updates, add cameras, or change the config. The native interface can also trim clips when you export them which is handy.

So there are limitations to what UI3 can do, but it is sufficient 99% of the time for daily use.

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have it installed and like it. Took me a bit (found it in this thread) to figure out why my overview page was only doing 5 fps :D Now my suggestion if I may. Allow us to choose what information we want displayed. For instance the PTZ stuff is just taking up space (I have 6 cameras) on the left side. I don't have PTZ. Profile status is also taking up useful space. Same with server status although that is kinda useful information. Maybe it's already optional to allow these "blocks" to be turned on and off? If not, that would be a useful feature. Thank you.

Reactions: Ian

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have it installed and like it. Took me a bit (found it in this thread) to figure out why my overview page was only doing 5 fps :D Now my suggestion if I may. Allow us to choose what information we want displayed. For instance the PTZ stuff is just taking up space (I have 6 cameras) on the left side. I don't have PTZ. Profile status is also taking up useful space. Same with server status although that is kinda useful information. Maybe it's already optional to allow these "blocks" to be turned on and off? If not, that would be a useful feature. Thank you.
;)

If any of the left sidebar sections do not suit you, you can collapse them by clicking on their headings. You can also "disable" some of the items (PTZ, profile, schedule controls) by right clicking on the controls and choosing to disable, and this will help prevent accidentally using them.

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
;)

If any of the left sidebar sections do not suit you, you can collapse them by clicking on their headings. You can also "disable" some of the items (PTZ, profile, schedule controls) by right clicking on the controls and choosing to disable, and this will help prevent accidentally using them.
Ah, I see, thank you. Well what I was hoping for was to free up that space to give the cameras more room so that I can see them better.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean you want to collapse the entire left bar?

See the first two hotkeys in the UI Settings panel. They might help achieve what you're looking for.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If BI ever updates to a version 5 and implements UI3 will you move on to UI4?

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick question, does playback streaming with pre-determined time-cuts (every 60 seconds a new file is saved) not via alerts simply not functioning on UI3 beta? I can view real time video perfectly fine, but when i go click Alerts and click on an alert item on the left, this is what i am met with...

chrome_2018-01-26_20-36-02.png

I can right click the 'alert' in question, and download and playback it without any issue.

This is the settings for the camera...
tvnviewer_2018-01-26_20-38-38.png

This is the encoder and format options...
tvnviewer_2018-01-26_20-39-33.png
tvnviewer_2018-01-26_20-41-05.png

It seems to be expecting an "alert" video segment/cutout from when the alert begins and not one by the minute, every minute.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The recording cut interval has no impact on streaming. Though I must say that a 1 minute cut interval used with continuous recording is going to produce 1440 clips a day... probably going to bog your system down a bit if you're doing this on multiple cameras, not to mention being really annoying to scroll through.

When you use direct to disc, the "recording 0" profile does not apply.

Try a streaming profile configured like this, just in case there is an issue with your settings.

I've had trouble before when trying a very high quality % without a bit rate limit. I also believe that UI3 would not cope well with B-frames if they were used in a stream, (though I don't think they actually get used anyway, even if you tell Blue Iris to allow them).

Also, for the "Streaming" encoder profiles, you should use the max keyframe interval of 300 to make the stream more efficient. Additional keyframes will do no good at all.

bctrainers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The recording cut interval has no impact on streaming. Though I must say that a 1 minute cut interval used with continuous recording is going to produce 1440 clips a day... probably going to bog your system down a bit if you're doing this on multiple cameras, not to mention being really annoying to scroll through.

When you use direct to disc, the "recording 0" profile does not apply.

Try a streaming profile configured like this, just in case there is an issue with your settings.

https://i.imgur.com/k8oeojU.png

I've had trouble before when trying a very high quality % without a bit rate limit. I also believe that UI3 would not cope well with B-frames if they were used in a stream, (though I don't think they actually get used anyway, even if you tell Blue Iris to allow them).

Also, for the "Streaming" encoder profiles, you should use the max keyframe interval of 300 to make the stream more efficient. Additional keyframes will do no good at all.
Have set those settings, still getting the video stream was lost due to rapid failures on those given settings.

I am noticing when i click any of the alerts, the machine with BI on it has two icons at the bottom right rapidly show and disappear. Looks to be the LAV Splitter, LAV Video and LAV Audio icons.